• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There are good guys out there too!

9 posts in this topic

I thought i would share a recent experience i had on ebay recently.I had just bid on an X-men#14 and was winning it when i received an e-mail telling me that this auction was a scam and the scan had been poached from a U.S. dealer. frown.gif

Now,i didn't know what to think and after hitting the seller with some questions(that he couldn't/wouldn't answer) i realised that this e-mailer had saved me a lot of $'s.I never did get to thank him as i deleted his e-mail by mistake.

Anyway,about 4 days later another ebay auction finished with me as the highest bidder but with the reserve not met.It was for a F.F#48 cgc 9.6 and the seller contacted me and offered to sell it for my bid price.I requested the shipping costs to England and he said he would cover that.Now because of the earlier experience i'm starting to get suspicious and i'm bombarding him with more and more questions.The more he answered,the more suspicious and ruder i'm getting.Things like-4 different e-mail addresses,asking me if i would be interested in thier expanding into Europe,i checked his feedback and he hadn't sold a comic and wasn't selling anymore at the time,etc,etc.He finally says for me to send my cc details in two seperate e-mails and i basically tell him where to go! I e-mailed him back and said "i tell you what,you send me the book first and i'll paypal you when it arrives" thinking that was that! Yes, you guessed it!! He replies O.K. i'll post it in a couple of hours.

I could honestly feel my face glowing with embarrassment,he was actually going to send a book worth hundreds and hundreds of $'s to a foreign country and to someone he didn't even know from Adam!!!!!!

Four days later,a beautiful f.f.#48 turns up! What a fantastic and trustworthy guy!.

His username is usjdr and i'm forever grateful that he didn't rub my nose in it when justified to do so!!!!

And the motto of this story is, that although you may have been burned before "THERE ARE STILL GOOD GUYS OUT THERE TOO!!!!

laugh.gif

I will as he said he'll get back to me with some more i'm after.The trouble is he was so vague in his e-mails and i thought it was a scam for most of them that i didn't really take much notice of details at the time.He must be one of the most laid back guys i've ever come across!

Next time you run into something suspicious, let us know about it. Some guys here are pretty knowledgeable and can smell a rat a mile away..... even on the internet. And we just LOVE to talk about it.

Reminder that after u delete an email from your in box, it is usually still sitting in your deleted emails file, so u can retrieve & re-read it.

U could have used an escrow service to protect yourself but some sellers are reluctant to do this due to the delay & escrow fee that will need to be absorbed (usually by the buyer).

Dealt with 1 seller in the UK with low feedback because his previous acct on eBay had a few negs so he just started up a new 1. He refused to use eBay escrow or a mutual comic art dealer in the USA that both of us knew to validate the artwork due to the delay. I had solid feedback so forced him to ship the $7k comic art to me in Canada first. We had never dealt with each other before. He actually agreed & I fed ex'd the funds after I confirmed the goods. smile.gif