• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Market History

33 posts in this topic

Here's one of the oldest ads I have for Silver Age back issues. It's a Howard Rogofsky ad from The Comicollector #10, March-April 1963. I hope this is readable; I had to work it in Photoshop for a while just to get this from the original faded purple mimeograph. foreheadslap.gif

But check out FF1, Spider-man 1, and AF 15 for $1 each. cool.gif I like the way he mentions the "heavy" demand, almost as if he's apologizing in advance to his critics and many detractors for the outlandish prices he was known for asking.

The good old days cloud9.gif

1733787-adnew_edited-1.jpg

1733787-adnew_edited-1.jpg.bdc59973ae5cdc773fe93dac85b67da5.jpg

The DCs were going for more than the Marvels!

Interesting that he doesn't have the Flash Showcases, nor the JLA B&Bs. Even in 1963 they were hard to find? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif Hey, Tim -

They were tough to find based on what I can see people selling in these old fanzines. Hard to say why. And HR was known for his excellent selection AND his high prices. I suspect this was when he was still a high school teacher and not a full-time dealer as of yet.

The most expensive book I can see for sale at all is Captain America #1, described as "almost mint" by Rogofsky, offered for $25. $25 was a lot more back then than it is now, but relative to today's money it's still nothing.

I find this stuff fascinating.

gr8 thread

gary colabuono's anecdotes are superb reading

there was a time in the mid to late 80's when silver age was ABSOLUTELY DEAD, really really dead

Yep, I was heavily into my second phase of buying and flipping comics in 1986..

In Orlando,FL the shops had tons of HIGH GRADE SA for next to nothing...I vividly remember RUNS of Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense (later issues, towards the end of their publications) in NEAR MINT for $3.00 each....

Me and my friends (I was 16 at the time) were chasing FISH POLICE, TROLLORDS, ADVENTURERS, ELFLORD, MIAMI MICE, FLAMING CARROT, Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....

To me, it seems the SA market took off when the Batman movie came out (1989?)...anyway, we blew it back then, but just like anything, easy come , easy go.

lol

My Howard the duck #1 recollection was riding my bicycle from stationary store to stationary store buying it up.

Conan #1 was selling for $25 each back then.

FF #48 was stacked like Modern books on dealer tables today.

Kull's first appear was actually worth something.

Here's one of the oldest ads I have for Silver Age back issues. It's a Howard Rogofsky ad from The Comicollector #10, March-April 1963. I hope this is readable; I had to work it in Photoshop for a while just to get this from the original faded purple mimeograph. foreheadslap.gif

But check out FF1, Spider-man 1, and AF 15 for $1 each. cool.gif I like the way he mentions the "heavy" demand, almost as if he's apologizing in advance to his critics and many detractors for the outlandish prices he was known for asking.

The good old days cloud9.gif

1733787-adnew_edited-1.jpg

good old Rogofsky. notce there are no grades listed, just send me a dollar Ill send you a copy. I ordered once a few years later, same thing. Just happy to find a copy! think it was JLA 2 maybe.

lol

My Howard the duck #1 recollection was riding my bicycle from stationary store to stationary store buying it up.

Conan #1 was selling for $25 each back then.

FF #48 was stacked like Modern books on dealer tables today.

Kull's first appear was actually worth something.

Yup, I remember when Conan #1 skyrocketed to being a $7 book, and my friends and I were outraged. I also remember when HTD #1 hit $20, and every HTD appearance (Fear 19, anyone?) exploded.

Meanwhile, you could pick up virtually the entire Captain America run of TOS for $1 each, although Captain America #100 was going for a princely $5. cloud9.gif

I also remember the first time I saw a mail order catalog break out books by Adams, Steranko and Smith and charge more for them, which again duly outraged my friends and me. Just a temporary fad, we thought...