• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I a nerotic mess?

13 posts in this topic

I'm back to collecting Uncanny X-Men after selling a good run of issues about 8 years ago (all of 150-300 and then some). It's awful re-buying books you can remember buying new, and I'm sure most of you know that feeling to some extent. I prefer my books mint. I understand a book from the 60's can be desirable in NM/Fine but when I get a stack of back issues home and find a number of books from the 80's or later that look like they've been read a few times (which is always hard to spot in the store) I'm left wondering if I should just ignore it, or replace them. So I'd like to hear from some of you who are completing a long series of back issues what your standards are exactly. Is it unrealistic to expect NM on everything? And I thank God UXM is an important title because most comic stores are just throwing other titles into $1 bins with no backing boards.

You mentioned that you like mint. Maybe you should replace them. Myself, I only worry about the keys being minty fresh(or close to it) for some odd reason, I am one of those guys who reads his books and if they are bent up a tad and a common issue, I say it's a keeper. But, I used to have many, many doubles as I kinda went high grade nuts for awhile and it was becoming obsessive, looking the comic up and down like a madman for even the slightest flaw, to the point of insanity. I got over it finally and moved on...

Now, I'm buying for the fun of it all and I forgot just how fun collecting and reading comics can be when your not stressing out over grade and investment. Actually I'm dieing to read a non-reprinted HOS#92 right now and I think good'ol Greggy's gonna be hook'n me up soon... woo-hoo!

'best

C

Because you asked, I am perfectly happy with a VF Silver/Bronze Age comic. It's only the moderns I try and get NM's in 'cause they are so plentiful. To me, anything modern in a VF or lower is strictly a reading copy. And as far as Silver or Bronze Age goes, you can get some good deals on VF's now as apparently they are stuck between people that want NM only and people that want low-grade reading copies. So save yourself some $ and go for the VF's as long as your not into it for the investment aspect. You'll still have an attractive copy. (Unless of course if it's an e-bay VF - gotta be real careful on those) If investing is important, (and it doesn't appear it is for you) then definitely go for the NM's as they do appreciate much faster in value than the VF's do and will, but be prepared to spend accordingly. grin.gif

It's awful re-buying books you can remember buying new, and I'm sure most of you know that feeling to some extent

Oh, my yes! I sold off my pre-code horror collection a few years back and am now trying to gather many of the same issues - but this time they cost more than $10 in fine! 893frustrated.gif

POV - you still whining about selling your old crappy comics again?? blush.gif

Yeah - I am still whining. I am still shoulder-torquing at the memories. The enamel on my teeth is wearing away. My back is in almost permanent hunch. And my hands tremble. Happy? Hmmmm?????????insane.gifgrin.gif

sucks dont it? im glad I never went through it. I quit buying for 10 years in the late 70s (except a handful of titles) but just put my comics away, didnt sell them. But it must feel good to have the fever again, huh?

But it must feel good to have the fever again, huh?

I have to say Aman - I know more now than I ever did. Seems all the reading and experimineting I did over the years began to really coalesce in my brain with the break. It feels absolutely AMAZING to be back in the game. I really do love it and am having the best collecting time ever. These boards have been a big part of that, too.

No your not neurotic! I have been collecting for many years and there is nothing tome like the hunt for those old gems. When you find an old collection of 40's-60's. Even now I have been buying around 30 titles a month(now that's neurotic) Everytime I go to the Comic shop I get my regular titles and then buy any cover I think looks cool! By the end of the month I probably have purchased over 400 comics(some I get several copies) But in my opinion if you buy 1 or 1000 comics as long as you enjoy it thats all that counts!! grin.gif