• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, how is everyone's grading skills?

34 posts in this topic

Please, let's not take this too seriously but I would love to hear comments on what everyone thinks about everyone's grading skills. I did make a casual comment about BOC still learning (and remember Beyonder enjoying that grin.gif) - all in fun naturally.

I've found that maybe because grading is so subjective and you're really looking at scans and not the comic that when criticism comes, it's so...well...nice?

Let's not be nice and have some one.

What do you guys really think, (or don't really think) about everyone's grading skills or lack thereof.) insane.gif

Please, let's not take this too seriously but I would love to hear comments on what everyone thinks about everyone's grading skills. I did make a casual comment about BOC still learning (and remember Beyonder enjoying that grin.gif) - all in fun naturally.

I've found that maybe because grading is so subjective and you're really looking at scans and not the comic that when criticism comes, it's so...well...nice?

Let's not be nice and have some one.

What do you guys really think, (or don't really think) about everyone's grading skills or lack thereof.) insane.gif

I grade better at the higher grades but suck at the mid to low grades! 893frustrated.gif

I think I'm a better grader than most. But, I've graded thousands of books over the years, yet I still screw up. I'd say judging from the last book I got from Banner, he's a very good grader also.

hmmm.....that was kinda like a self-analysis. Hoping we could here comments on what you thought of other forum member's grading skills. Maybe this is just too sensitive a subject. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

So, you guys too sensitive or are we all just really good graders? I mean...I must have been out to lunch a few times hmmmm?

hmmm.....that was kinda like a self-analysis. Hoping we could here comments on what you thought of other forum member's grading skills. Maybe this is just too sensitive a subject. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

So, you guys too sensitive or are we all just really good graders? I mean...I must have been out to lunch a few times hmmmm?

Can't comment on much unless I buy from them. The grades given on the grading forums is meaningless because unless people grade as strict when they are SELLING, who cares.

Banner's very good but sometimes too strict but at least he's consistent. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think I'm a better grader than most. But, I've graded thousands of books over the years, yet I still screw up. I'd say judging from the last book I got from Banner, he's a very good grader also.

I don't know if you really "screw up." I am thinking anyone's 9. whatever could be anything from an 8.5 - 9.6 or better as far as adding the subjectivity factor to grading goes. I know of an excellent grader (Doug) who sends books he feels are 9.4 but tells CGC not to encapsulate them if they don't make it. So, he doesn't know for sure.

Maybe that's why it's so difficult to be critical of anyone's grading skills. I suppose everyone is at least in the ball park. grin.gif

I think my grading skills are pretty good. Usually I am confident about being within a half grade or so when the book is in my hands (grading against even large scans is another story). I AM pretty confident in my ability ot detect restoration and that has served me well.

Over the years I've been bured by restoration only twice.

Both happened in the same month. About 10 years ago.

A JLA 3 with a slight color touch. Came out losing only a little on it.

Superman 76 VF/NM ouch, lost a bit more there.

Excellent resto job, whoever did that one was a master.

Over the years I've been bured by restoration only twice.

Both happened in the same month. About 10 years ago.

A JLA 3 with a slight color touch. Came out losing only a little on it.

Superman 76 VF/NM ouch, lost a bit more there.

Excellent resto job, whoever did that one was a master.

What restoration has been performed on the Superman 76?

If I remember correctly it was on the spine. I think it was slight staple reinforcement, and a small piece replacement on the spine. When I sent it to the new owner, he also commented on how good a job this was.

I grade better at the higher grades but suck at the mid to low grades! 893frustrated.gif

I'd have to agree with that for myself as well. I would not say I suck at low grades but I do have a hard time distinguishing a good 1.5 from a 2.0. I would guess the a larger percentage of the forum members are in the same boat. That is probably true because we all concentrate on higher grade issues.

Tomega

I've had some experience with lower grades in the G to F/VF range. Doug Suplipa and I get together a couple times a month and I usually bring a few books for him to look and comment on. That's how I've learned. But those lower grades are tough and when ever there has been the odd time when forum members disagreed on a grade, it's usually been with the lower grade stuff.

One thing I've learned recently, is cover gloss can really elevate an otherwise G to a G/VG - makes a big difference. Doug showed me some pretty beaten up copies with amazing hi-cover gloss and it really makes a difference on the grade.

Easiest grade for me to spot has got to be a VF. I can spot one a mile away. Most anything with a minor corner crease and at least a couple spine stress cracks and it's pretty much automatic. With no corner crease, most anything with 4 - 5 stress cracks usually hits a VF. (There is the odd exception, but few and far between)

Seems to me that everyone here has a lot of respect for everyone's opinions when it comes to grading. There's been a few battle royales here about pretty much everything from punishment bidding, comic-keys/restoration to greggys and bug's "social" skills on the forum. But hardly any criticisms on grading. Seems that's a line no one wants to cross.

A combination of a realization the gradings done from a scan, the inconsistency (to a certain degree) of CGC's grading and in spite of the ramblings and battle royales - everyone's mutual respect for one another.

Well....most everyone's mutual respect for one another. grin.gif

Hogations is one of the best graders I have ever bought from. I have bought(and/or traded) at least 25 books from him and never once was he off - even a little.

I've bought from Donut and Banner as well and their grading is also very tight.

Anyone else I have bought from on the forum either sold me a slabbed or brand new book.

Dr. Banners grading is as good as it gets.

Darth is right there with him in the higher grade moderns.

Joanna gives the best descriptions. Oh baby you give good description. insane.gif

Once I feel a comic is below VF.....I call it a "reading copy". I have no idea what distinguishes a 5.0 from a 6.0, or a 2.5 from a 4.0 confused.gif

I spend most of my time trying to decide if my books are more or less than NM....

As far as your original question.....

I've only bought CGC'd books from forum members confused-smiley-013.gif