• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Report

96 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed your insightful and thoughtful post regarding this subject. Your knowledge of the collecting community is unparalleled. We can only hope that we may one day achieve the enlightenment of a being such as yourself who has nothing better to do than post over 11k times in a 9 month span and have absolutely nothing to say about anything. Congratulations on your life fulfilling achievements! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Better to say nothing about anything than to pop of with such galactically stupid comments like "just hire some flunkys to do restoration checks". That statement pretty much sums up your complete lack of knowledge and total ignorance about the hobby. And the fact that you rehashed one of the insults that you just used in the "Hulk Trailer" thread also shows that you have zero imagination to top it all off. 893applaud-thumb.gif <----- (Token graemlin trick like Tom uses to try to fool people into thinking what was just said was extremely clever)

Please direct us to a post where you've actually made an insightful and accurate post about the hobby........Take all the time you need since you haven't had an insightful or accurate thought in your entire life. <------ (notice the lack of a token greamlin......perhaps Tom has been weened off of them and is ready to move to solid food now)

If you were hired tomorrow by Susan C. and trained for 4 weeks on how to detect resto, do you think you could? I'll assume you have been in the hobby for many years and have a passing knowledge of resto. I think you could do it. Why not?

How about a kid coming out of college? Maybe flunky was not the best term, but with a little training, I would think most anyone can detect resto.

Unfortunatly, the best and most reputable dealers are not trained in spotting resto.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but I'm not sure if four weeks is enough.

If Susan or Matt (or even Chris) decided to start an apprentice training program then it might be worth their while if that's a service they feel has financial merit.

But the training required would end up creating more players in an already specialized field... would they go for that?

Kev

Please direct us to a post where you've actually made an insightful and accurate post about the hobby........Take all the time you need since you haven't had an insightful or accurate thought in your entire life. <------ (notice the lack of a token greamlin......perhaps Tom has been weened off of them and is ready to move to solid food now)

Boy you have no other comebacks than that? I didn't even know they were called "Greamlins". And I forgot, on top of the 11,400 post under bugaboo, you also had numerous posts under different identities. That has to push you well past 15k!!! I heard Taco Bell is hiring again, you can use me as a reference, if you wish.

Please get out of your little computer chair and rejoin the human race......

I would think it is much easier to learn restoration checking than actually learning restoration. Since Steve never answered my post, I'm not sure how many resto detection people there are on their staff, but surely they all do not know how to perform restoration. If training is in detection only, the field would remain the same in actual restoration.

Boy you have no other comebacks than that?

Imagine that......I just used a similar line on you in another post.....and here you are trying to copy it already. Seriously......go on wheel of fortune and see if they'll let you buy an imagination instead of a vowel......it's worth a shot.

I didn't even know they were called "Greamlins".

That's called ignorance........you should be used to that by now.

And I forgot, on top of the 11,400 post under bugaboo, you also had numerous posts under different identities. That has to push you well past 15k!!!

Actually, that's not true. Imagine that.......Tom trying to come off like he actually knows something when he doesn't have a clue. I wonder if that reminds us of any of your other posts in the forum?

I heard Taco Bell is hiring again, you can use me as a reference, if you wish.

I don't think a reference from you would even carry any weight at a Taco Bell.

Please get out of your little computer chair and rejoin the human race......

This coming from a guy that dug up a 4 month old post that donut made about a movie so you could prove him wrong..........I think it's too late for you to rejoin the human race.

I would think it is much easier to learn restoration checking than actually learning restoration. Since Steve never answered my post, I'm not sure how many resto detection people there are on their staff, but surely they all do not know how to perform restoration. If training is in detection only, the field would remain the same in actual restoration.

What I'm suggesting is that in order to do a truly servicable job in restoration detection one must have a working knowledge of how it gets done in the first place.

It's not just a question of identifying, in poker terms, the "tells" of restoration.

I think what Steve was trying to suggest is that the entire team has some knowledge about what to look for... and they've looked at enough books to identify most cases of restoration... they know the "tells", so to speak... but I believe the final restoration check is always done by Chris Friesen.

I've personally seen Chris (he's a former Torontonian) identify restoration that other people who should have caught it couldn't spot. That kind of detailed eye comes from his training, not just from looking at comic books day in and day out.

Kev

So these are the first 10.0s with the new label? I just might have to throw my hat into the ring for this one...

Yup. The very first 10 with the new label assigned in Chicago is Formerly Known as the Justice League #1. The second was Trinity #1. I think those will probably show up on ebay later this week - different seller though.

Umm Kev...DCs don't REALLY count tongue.gif sooo...in my deluded world the Supreme and Thor Vikngs were first wink.gif

Hey, whatever works for you Darth!

I'm not just trying to hype Peter's auctions, but I have never seen a better comic than that copy of Thor: Vikings #1. It is unquestionably flawless.

Kev

Well dont drop it!!

Is it at the store?

Yes it is... and I won't!

Ares, you should drop by tomorrow if you get a chance and take a look!

Darwyn Cooke, J. Bone and Francis Manapul will be there from noon to 3PM (and later if there is a crowd) promoting the Witchblade Animated Special that comes out tomorrow.

Kev

Wow,I leave for a few hours and the restoration debate blows up!!! First and foremost, come on by Ares but I don't have your X-Men #1 yet. Back to restoration. The basic problem with all this is who cares if someone sets up a restoration detection booth? Not everything is cut and dry. There will always be debate. What if Susan says yes it's been restored and Chris says no...or vice versa. Someone couyld lose and make 1000's of dollars. I personally know Chris, and will stake my reputation that he is 100% honest. Trust me I can tell you an embarrasing story about him which will only help his credentials (ask me over a beer)...(of course you're buying). I pride myself on being able to detect restoration (if I miss it's 100% money back guarantee) but Chris has burned me a few times. Yet Training experts will never work, they don't exist unless they are in the hobby for many years. They should and must have to have an interest in comics first and therefore can't buy them any more. Conflict of interest. Not to say I am at the top of the retso game...but I can only think of 5 people (non cgc) that I would ever defer opinion to on restored books.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

(416) 487-9807