• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the greatest Batman artists of all time? (i.e. Marshall Rogers)

Who is the greatest Batman artist of all time?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Batman artist of all time?

63 posts in this topic

Glad some others stepped up for Aparo.....I loved his work on Batman and he is one of my favorite artists for any genre.

At present, after 62 votes, Aparo is tied with Sprang as 2nd most popular Batman artist. (Adams leads by a huge margin.)

This does not surprise me at all, I have said before, Aparo is the MOST under-rated comic artist of the last 30 years. The man did not get enough repsect from anyone including the Overstreet Guide and the original art buyers. Prices for his art are way too low, his prices should be up there with other guys like Wrightson, Miller, Byrne, McFarlane, etc. Because he was as good as those guys PLUS he inked his own work.

Maybe if he would have jumped around more from title to title, then he would be more appreciated by Overstreet. I would like to see his issues broken out by Overstreet, identified as APARO cover/art issues, and command a premium price by the CGC collectors because APARO DREW IT.

But I don't think that will ever happen.

Glad some others stepped up for Aparo.....I loved his work on Batman and he is one of my favorite artists for any genre.

At present, after 62 votes, Aparo is tied with Sprang as 2nd most popular Batman artist. (Adams leads by a huge margin.)

This does not surprise me at all, I have said before, Aparo is the MOST under-rated comic artist of the last 30 years. The man did not get enough repsect from anyone including the Overstreet Guide and the original art buyers. Prices for his art are way too low, his prices should be up there with other guys like Wrightson, Miller, Byrne, McFarlane, etc. Because he was as good as those guys PLUS he inked his own work.

Maybe if he would have jumped around more from title to title, then he would be more appreciated by Overstreet. I would like to see his issues broken out by Overstreet, identified as APARO cover/art issues, and command a premium price by the CGC collectors because APARO DREW IT.

But I don't think that will ever happen.

I can tell that we are going to be friends.

Scott

Underrated is Norm Breyfogle.... a dynamic artist who drew not only heroes and action well, but did a great job of handling the softer parts of the stories. I maintain that he's the best artist who has touched Batman since Miller and Mazzuchelli.

Underrated is Norm Breyfogle.... a dynamic artist who drew not only heroes and action well, but did a great job of handling the softer parts of the stories. I maintain that he's the best artist who has touched Batman since Miller and Mazzuchelli.

Yes, Breyfogle was great, and he had a very eerie look to some of those Batman covers he did. He's my favorite regular Batman artist since Aparo's 1970-1985 heyday.

IMHO, I would put Adams at the top.

Marshall Rogers right behind him......

And the Rogers/Austin run is one of my favorite runs of all time..... Rogers drew one of the most sinister looking Jokers EVER (check out Detective #475, page 10, first panel......creepy !!!)

No love for Kelly Jones....?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe not the "greatest" Batman artist of all time, but certainly worthy of a mention ......?......

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

I like Kelly jones batman work aswell as his catwoman work but these guys probably don't really understand him. His work is kind of like sam kieths and that is a good thing.

My votes in this order of the top 5

Neal Adams

Marshall Rogers

Jerry Robinson

Kelly Jones

Jim Lee

And not enough work, but all of these deserve mention:

Wrightson, see Swamp Thing #7

also Frank Robbins did a nice moody Batman,

as well as Alex Toth.

Mazzuchelli

Jim Starlin

Walt Simonson

1304_3.JPG

I'm sorry, but anyone who has so little grasp of human anatomy (his back leg position is impossible without a breakage) shouldn't really be considered. crazy.gif

Hey, he's being artistic. If you start analyzing comics in such detail, a whole lot of things don't make sense. For example, how does Batman constantly swing from a rope to the exact spot he needs to be without crashing into the side of another building and breaking every bone in his body? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And wouldn't every tall building in Gotham soon have hundreds of bat-ropes hanging down the sides of the building?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And how does he not constantly trip on his cape when it is drawn longer than his height? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These are artistic liberties.

1304_3.JPG

I'm sorry, but anyone who has so little grasp of human anatomy (his back leg position is impossible without a breakage) shouldn't really be considered. crazy.gif

Hey, he's being artistic. If you start analyzing comics in such detail, a whole lot of things don't make sense. For example, how does Batman constantly swing from a rope to the exact spot he needs to be without crashing into the side of another building and breaking every bone in his body? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And wouldn't every tall building in Gotham soon have hundreds of bat-ropes hanging down the sides of the building?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And how does he not constantly trip on his cape when it is drawn longer than his height? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These are artistic liberties.

There are differences between artistic licence and not being able to draw... yeahok.gif

I like Starlin's 'style' and his imagination, but I think his content...the nuts and bolts of his craft...has never been a strong point. That's why I don't think he qualifies. thumbsup2.gif