• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale pending @ 85k

136 posts in this topic

It looks like the HOLY GRAIL in 2.0 has been snatched up by a very lucky collector. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wait a minute. Doesn't he know the guide says that is only worth 39K? Oh wait, that's last years. No doubt the listing this year will be around 39,100. And after this sale is figured in, next years guide might put it all the way to 39.500.

It looks like the HOLY GRAIL in 2.0 has been snatched up by a very lucky collector. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wait a minute. Doesn't he know the guide says that is only worth 39K?

2x guide+ seems to be standard procedure for low to mid-grade unrestored books from the top 30 or so list. I think when one of these books from the top 30 list hits the market in unrestored low to mid-grade at 2x guide, collectors everywhere scream out... takeit.gif

Wait a minute. Doesn't he know the guide says that is only worth 39K?

2x guide+ seems to be standard procedure for low to mid-grade unrestored books from the top 30 or so list. I think when one of these books from the top 30 list hits the market in unrestored low to mid-grade at 2x guide, collectors everywhere scream out... takeit.gif

Quite true. If I'd been in the market for it I'd have taken it myself. To put it in perspective, the sale price was only about 15X the recent sale of a spider-man 86,

Wait a minute. Doesn't he know the guide says that is only worth 39K? Oh wait, that's last years. No doubt the listing this year will be around 39,100. And after this sale is figured in, next years guide might put it all the way to 39.500.

Yeah, I'm wondering what factors into the guide values. I mean if what people are paying for books isn't factored in, then it must just be opinions?

I guess someone really wanted an Action 1 soo bad

ISometimes cannot fathom the reactions I see on this board.

Somebody pays 76X guide for a Spider-man 86, or 13K for Reform School Girl, 18K for Detective 35, and they're "lucky" or a "savvy collector."

But if they pay merely double guide for the most famous and important book of all, and the implication is the buyer must've been desperate or deluded.

(not to mention that because the guide has been so low on this book for so long that "double guide" doesn't even amount to a 100% increase over the past 15 years)/

Of course, maybe the buyer was just ill-informed and didn't realize that for the same money he might -- just might -- have been able to get a slabbed 9.9 copy of G.I. Joe #21

If someone bumps this thread 5 years from now, I would like to be on record as saying I think the buyer got a great deal. That was a very decent looking 2.0, and if I was in a position to afford it I would definitely have pulled the trigger.

Somebody pays 76X guide for a Spider-man 86, or 13K for Reform School Girl, 18K for Detective 35, and they're "lucky" or a "savvy collector."

But if they pay merely double guide for the most famous and important book of all, and the implication is the buyer must've been desperate or deluded.

(not to mention that because the guide has been so low on this book for so long that "double guide" doesn't even amount to a 100% increase over the past 15 years)/

Of course, maybe the buyer was just ill-informed and didn't realize that for the same money he might -- just might -- have been able to get a slabbed 9.9 copy of G.I. Joe #21

right. but, cmon, a 2.0 is just not an attractive replacement for 100 grand in cash. It will probably be a good investment, but, not an impressive object. I think thats why the consternation and wailing fo reach new sale at this level. Not long ago 100K sales werer strictly for High Grades and Pedigree key books. We'll just need a new higher benchmark I guess since 100K just aint buying what it used to in GA key copies.

right. but, cmon, a 2.0 is just not an attractive replacement for 100 grand in cash. It will probably be a good investment, but, not an impressive object. I think thats why the consternation and wailing fo reach new sale at this level. Not long ago 100K sales werer strictly for High Grades and Pedigree key books. We'll just need a new higher benchmark I guess since 100K just aint buying what it used to in GA key copies.

You're right about one thing. People who pay that much do want things to look nice. But there's no way that a copy of, say All-Select 1 is worth 100K but a 2.0 Action 1 is not.

Since people who pay big money like things to look nice, and they like the famous rather than the obscure, it gives more credence to the notion that people should necessarily get worked up over restoration -- when it's minor, when it's disclosed, when it's archival and reversible.

All of that could make that 2.0 Action 1 appear much nicer -- wthout changing it's actual, technical grade or value. And without engandering the integrity of the book itself.

If the standard was that restored books like that were to come with before and after pictures and the work verifieid as archival and reversible, then they would stand out from books that couldn't be verified.

before and after pictures would be great! In that case I could agree to the idea buying a restored book while seeing what it "really" looks like beneath its new shined up exterior. But, Im on the purist end of this argument... a GOOD is a GOOD and has flaws associated with a book in that condition. Why dress it up to make it look like sonething it is not? I see why an owner might decide to do whatever he wants with his property. But, sooner or later it will change hands, and doing stuff to the book will have been a mistake until such time as tastes change.

unfortunately, with my view, one must be forced to only buy high grade copies and for these megakeys, thats out of the question for 99.9% of all collectors. which brings us full circle I guess and explains why someone spends 100K for an Action 1 in GOOD.

A tough question woudl be Which would you rather buy: a 100K copy of Action 1 or another high demand key in FINE or VF unrestored.

Money spent on the book aside. I do not think it is all that bad looking a 2.0 , It is a book to be proud of owning at the least

action.jpg

And Blue made many a valid point in his previous post.

Ze-

It was 50X guide for the Spidey 86, not 76X (or in other words, slightly more than 3X the market price for a CGC 9.6 copy). And I don't know if you read the same threads I did, but I don't remember it brimming over with praise for anyone involved in the transaction, buyer or seller. sleeping.gif And no one who is complaining about the $85K price on this Action #1 was calling the buyer of the Spidey 86 a lucky or savvy collector. This is inconsistency you've identified is a figment of your imagination.

(not to mention that because the guide has been so low on this book for so long that "double guide" doesn't even amount to a 100% increase over the past 15 years)

Guide is way too low on Action #1 (especially in higher grade) -- agreed 100%. And a million, billion sales at way over guide prices probably won't change that fact, or raise the price more than incrementally year over year. Which is why Overstreet guide prices are sometimes interesting, but are also given way too much weight for certain books that sell at levels nowhere near guide prices. If you could buy a 9.2 copy of Action #1 from Bob Overstreet for $450K (or whatever Action #1 guides for these days in 9.2), then maybe you could take the guide value seriously. But Bob keeps the prices where they are regardless of sales information. It could even be viewed as tantamount to price fixing, if people actually followed the guide on books like that.

Scott, if I am not mistaken. He was using your asm example(among others) as a compliment, not an insult.

His point was(as I read it) all bets are off when people buy books. And for people to judge or comment on other peoples buying habits, or what was paid by somebody for a certain book is pure folly.

Ze-

btw, how was your trip?

Scott, if I am not mistaken. He was using your asm example(among others) as a compliment, not an insult.

His point was(as I read it) all bets are off when people buy books. And for people to judge others buying habits, or what was paid by somebody for acertain book is pure folly.

Ze-

btw, how was your trip?

You are correct in your reading.

I think it's great that a silver age spider-man sells for 5500. But if anybody out there thinks that silver age spideys can go for that money while Action 1 somehow stands still so that you can count on trading a dozen midrun spideys for an Action 1... they need to rethink.

His point was(as I read it) all bets are off when people buy books. And for people to judge or comment on other peoples buying habits, or what was paid by somebody for a certain book is pure folly.

Ze-

btw, how was your trip?

I didn't take it as an insult or a compliment. I simply wanted to clarify the misstatements about the buyer being praised as lucky or savvy, when I don't recall that being the case. Thus, the apparent inconsistency he identified never really existed in the first place, because (assuming for the sake of argument that's what thedarkknight meant by his comment, which I don't believe he did, but whatever) people are calling the buyer of the Action #1 crazy just like they implied the buyer of the ASM 86 was crazy. Which is, of course, easy for someone to say when they don't own the book in question -- and is especially easy to say when the person saying it isn't in a position to buy either book.

Some people just can't congratulate a buyer on getting a book he really wanted unless he got it for a huge discount. It's silly, because whether you're paying $100K, $85K, or $2K for Action #1, you're still buying a used book that originally sold for a dime. Any "extra" value is largely illusory when you get right down to it, because when you view it objectively, it's 64 pages of newsprint with sophomoric writing and fairly low grade art. To the extent it is worth more than cover price, that is a function of people wanting to own a copy of that book because of what the cultural significance means to them personally. And if the well-heeled demand to own a piece of that cultural history outstrips the supply, then all that matters is whether the buyer is willing to pay the amount the seller needs in order to let the book go. You can quote double guide all day long, but since Bob Overstreet doesn't have a supply of Action #1s available for Guide price, who is to say that this metric is more relevant than the fact that the book sold for 850,000X cover price? It's worth whatever the amount is where a willing buyer and willing seller reach a deal.

So congrats to the buyer and seller. It's a great looking 2.0. IMO, it presents better than the infamous CGC 2.5 from the Five O'Clock Shadow pedigree (which I also wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers).

As for my trip, I'm still in Illinois until Wednesday.