• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale pending @ 85k

136 posts in this topic

Dealers and sellers alike have but one chance to make an impression with me. If a dealer misleads, overgrades grossly, or involves a shill tactic to force price up or manipulate a sale, they are done. I will not under any circumstances repeat business with a dealer who did not treat me fairly. I would not care if they had a book I wanted for 10 yrs, and the price was right, I would not again let them sell to me. There always is another deal, another book, and a lot of truely good dealers/sellers who are honest and care about cust. service and provided well described, honestly graded, fast shipping, without the you owe me attitude. The fact is, you don't owe these mega sellers/dealers anything, but they owe you everything. Collectors are the life blood of their business, and should be treated with the utmost care and groomed as potential long term investments.

I agree! I am just trying to figure out who THEY are. I think we may only be talking about one or two. Let's call them out and then burn their homes, rape their women, raze their fields and salt the scorched earth so they never come back!

But what if they get a book I need for my collection, what then. confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Dealers and sellers alike have but one chance to make an impression with me. If a dealer misleads, overgrades grossly, or involves a shill tactic to force price up or manipulate a sale, they are done. I will not under any circumstances repeat business with a dealer who did not treat me fairly. I would not care if they had a book I wanted for 10 yrs, and the price was right, I would not again let them sell to me. There always is another deal, another book, and a lot of truely good dealers/sellers who are honest and care about cust. service and provided well described, honestly graded, fast shipping, without the you owe me attitude. The fact is, you don't owe these mega sellers/dealers anything, but they owe you everything. Collectors are the life blood of their business, and should be treated with the utmost care and groomed as potential long term investments.

I agree! I am just trying to figure out who THEY are. I think we may only be talking about one or two. Let's call them out and then burn their homes, rape their women, raze their fields and salt the scorched earth so they never come back!

But what if they get a book I need for my collection, what then. confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

You tell me, I'll beat the *spoon* out of them and then sell it to you cheap! devil.gif

Well, I mean after that. Then we do the burning and raping and salting.....

I will Pm ya my short list!

Why do that? If these people treated you so poorly, call them out on it and cost them sales. Why tread lightly and let them take advantage of other people that didn't get your PM?

Tell them to them to bite my A#$! And wait for the book to show up on EBay or another dealer.

A friend of mine once said he would buy comics from Hitler at a Nazi-Con if he had the comics my friend needed. I guess the bottom line is this hobby is all about the books. Fortunately we get to meet and make some good friends along the way.

I didn't buy anything from Hitler but he did sign my copy of "Real Life #.3" Then he smiled and shot my grandma. Total .

I will Pm ya my short list!

Why do that? If these people treated you so poorly, call them out on it and cost them sales. Why tread lightly and let them take advantage of other people that didn't get your PM?

I was being Sarcastic! I never sent the PM or intended to. As to posting the dealers, I am a little leary and considering it. Some may be close to these dealers and find it in bad taste, some of the dealers lurk on the boards, and some are not sellers on ebay anymore. I have only been on boards two months, I don't really care what most think of me, but its been my experience in life that the new guy shouldn't rock the boat with due cause. Also while my issues are valid with these sellers others I am sure have had opposite experiences which in fact make up most of these dealers transactions. I think it would be liable to post these with out careful thought and consideration. Will happily share my experiences with those who ask me privately and give names and let them decide in a more conservative venue.

Paul

A friend of mine once said he would buy comics from Hitler at a Nazi-Con if he had the comics my friend needed. I guess the bottom line is this hobby is all about the books. Fortunately we get to meet and make some good friends along the way.

I didn't buy anything from Hitler but he did sign my copy of "Real Life #.3" Then he smiled and shot my grandma. Total .

Did you leave him negative feedback? I hear he can be pretty vindictive!

Actually Mr. Schomburg is taking the reasonable approach. Because the list IS short. And the few that would be on there may not be universally looked at that way. And let's face it, some of the dealers we can assume would be on there actually do some good for the hobby as a whole.

1) they spend millions in advertising which attracts new customers

2) they spend millions in advertising which means they get to field the call from the guy in Podunk who wants to sell those really old Spawn comics his grandfather left him

3) they spend millions in advertising which keeps the Overstreet Price Guide solvent

4) eventually their customers (whom they attracted through millions of dollars in advertising) become more knowledgable collectors and realize there is an alternative. Then those collectors find us MNGM and become loyal customers (as long as we find them books).

millions in advertising??

I dont think a million is spent by ALL dealers on advertising.... wha????

Actually you would be wrong. One full page color ad in Overstreet is about $2500. Someone like Heritage probably spends upwards of $40K in the annual book alone. That's one dealer, one book. Now factor in Wizard, CBG, Alter Ego, Hake's Collectibles price guide, the new Pedigree book that is due by the end of the year, The Standard Catalogue of Comic Books, Draw Magazine, etc. Then factor in banner ads and web based advertising. Then add on yellow page ads for store owners. I spend over $2000 a month just on Yellow page ads. What do you think Metropolis spends on local advertising. Then factor in printing costs for catalogues, flyers, and brochures. We do a local brochure deal in over 600 hotels and corporate meeting places to attract travellers and convention goers. $600 a month. And finally, there are advertising costs involved with setting up at conventions. San Diego, Chicago etc. all have con programs with ad space.

Costs money.

And these are just the places where we are preaching to the choir. We all do specialty advertising to reach new converts. So you see, it does add up.

Richard, yes my friend I have you down as a MBND (Moderate Big Name Dealer).

I'm sorry but I just can't send the Vikings and Mongols to raid your lands and to provoke the lamentation of your women because in the 15 years we've known each other, you've never screwed me over or cheated me. Not once.

So if you'd like to join the club, please think of something really rotten to do, and I'll try to look the other way as you slip one by me! 27_laughing.gif

STEVE

If these people treated you so poorly, call them out on it and cost them sales. Why tread lightly and let them take advantage of other people that didn't get your PM?

Sean, I believe the answer is: Fear

STEVE

That is a personal choice that people make. It doesn't have to be that way if people don't want it to be.

... because in the 15 years we've known each other, you've never screwed me over or cheated me. Not once.

STEVE

really; have you checked for a centerfold in that Action 22 lately? you'll be pleased there's an "edit" feature on these posts.

... because in the 15 years we've known each other, you've never screwed me over or cheated me. Not once.

STEVE

really; have you checked for a centerfold in that Action 22 lately? you'll be pleased there's an "edit" feature on these posts.

Hey Billy flowerred.gif Yeah, the comic does have a centerfold (I page counted).

However, one of the reasons I made the purchase was because it was kindly pointed out to me that this was the fabled "no back cover" variant issue - wahoo! yay.gif

STEVE

millions in advertising??

I dont think a million is spent by ALL dealers on advertising.... wha????

Actually you would be wrong. One full page color ad in Overstreet is about $2500. Someone like Heritage probably spends upwards of $40K in the annual book alone. That's one dealer, one book. Now factor in Wizard, CBG, Alter Ego, Hake's Collectibles price guide, the new Pedigree book that is due by the end of the year, The Standard Catalogue of Comic Books, Draw Magazine, etc. Then factor in banner ads and web based advertising. Then add on yellow page ads for store owners. I spend over $2000 a month just on Yellow page ads. What do you think Metropolis spends on local advertising. Then factor in printing costs for catalogues, flyers, and brochures. We do a local brochure deal in over 600 hotels and corporate meeting places to attract travellers and convention goers. $600 a month. And finally, there are advertising costs involved with setting up at conventions. San Diego, Chicago etc. all have con programs with ad space.

Costs money.

And these are just the places where we are preaching to the choir. We all do specialty advertising to reach new converts. So you see, it does add up.

umm, theres only one thing I can say to all that:

excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

grin.gif

If these people treated you so poorly, call them out on it and cost them sales. Why tread lightly and let them take advantage of other people that didn't get your PM?

STEVE

Steve, I think you are great. So don't take this the wrong way. It is not fear, persay as in reprocussions, but fear among the boards. I enjoy my time here, and enjoy the information and sharing of photo's. I believe that over time and with personal interaction, at cons and so forth a few will become close friends. I also do not want to come across in bad taste, which again is fear among my peers. I also see it non productive to name names as this is only one experience, and not the acumulation of of research. This is why I state email me for my opinion, but I don't want to share publicly the issues I have had. I suppose if I bought a Marvel Mystery 9 from dealer X could be any large dealer in Denver, New York, or where ever and it was sold as unrestored. When arrived it was lets say less than untouched and undisclosed, and they did not take care of me the way I would have them do, I would scream outloud of their terrible service and unfair business practices. So yes Fear, but not in so much as afraid of dealer X, since I wouldn't do business again with anyway, but with consequeses of the majority who have had great experiences with said dealers. As I said, I don't really care what anyone thinks personally twoards me, but if I am shunned for my opinion, then this forum becomes a dead end for my personal uses.

Paul

STEVE

Steve, I think you are great. So don't take this the wrong way. It is not fear, persay as in reprocussions, but fear among the boards. I enjoy my time here, and enjoy the information and sharing of photo's. I believe that over time and with personal interaction, at cons and so forth a few will become close friends. I also do not want to come across in bad taste, which again is fear among my peers. I also see it non productive to name names as this is only one experience, and not the acumulation of of research. This is why I state email me for my opinion, but I don't want to share publicly the issues I have had. I suppose if I bought a Marvel Mystery 9 from dealer X could be any large dealer in Denver, New York, or where ever and it was sold as unrestored. When arrived it was lets say less than untouched and undisclosed, and they did not take care of me the way I would have them do, I would scream outloud of their terrible service and unfair business practices. So yes Fear, but not in so much as afraid of dealer X, since I wouldn't do business again with anyway, but with consequeses of the majority who have had great experiences with said dealers. As I said, I don't really care what anyone thinks personally twoards me, but if I am shunned for my opinion, then this forum becomes a dead end for my personal uses.

Paul

Translation?... buy books already CGC'd ???confused-smiley-013.gif