• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel's reprint policy

21 posts in this topic

I was reading in the new Wizard that Marvel has abandoned their "no reprint policy" and are going to do just that....reprint stuff that sells out...so, any comments ??...pro- anti- indifferent- ??

I think it's not a good thing. At least for the back issue market. They allready reprint stuff in the "Must Haves" and the trades...leave it at that....and let the people that just want to read it, buy those...and leave the single issues for the collectors....

I've always felt the rarity of today's modern age could to a certain degree re-ignite the investment potential of comics, especially with Marvel's no re print policy. It was one of the reasons I bought Marvel over DC comics. I enjoyed a value spike whenever I purchased something hot, like some of the early Hulks (#12), or the current Daredevil run, and didn't mind paying a premium on something I may have missed out on.

Now, everything is going to be a lot more common. I've always wondered what my Marvel Graphic Novel #5 would be worth today if it hadn't been re-printed ? times.

There's a lot of things that make this hobby what it is, and one of the one's I truly enjoyed was Marvel's no re-print policy.

(how's that greggy)? grin.gif

I've always felt the rarity of today's modern age could to a certain degree re-ignite the investment potential of comics, especially with Marvel's no re print policy. It was one of the reasons I bought Marvel over DC comics. I enjoyed a value spike whenever I purchased something hot, like some of the early Hulks (#12), or the current Daredevil run, and didn't mind paying a premium on something I may have missed out on.

Now, everything is going to be a lot more common. I've always wondered what my Marvel Graphic Novel #5 would be worth today if it hadn't been re-printed ? times.

There's a lot of things that make this hobby what it is, and one of the one's I truly enjoyed was Marvel's no re-print policy.

So..it is purely for selfish investment reasons that you don't like it? Screw the people who missed out before and had to buy brand new books at inflated prices! confused-smiley-013.gif

So..it is purely for selfish investment reasons that you don't like it? Screw the people who missed out before and had to buy brand new books at inflated prices! confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I knew you were going to come up with something like that, and that's why I wrote

"There's a lot of things that make this hobby what it is..." (not only investing)

As far as me being selfish, two things to consider here. I am on occasion among the people who missed out, and I don't care. If I want the comic, I'll pay the piper. (And I won't be buying and 2nd prints either. mad.gif) Secondly, I don't consider myself an investor. I gave up buying multiples about 20 years ago. I came to the realization that out of 20 or 30 comics I ever purchased in multiples, I was only able to make money on 2 of them. The 50 copies of X-Men 131 I purchased and the 10 copies of the "Death of Captain Marvel" I bought and re-sold quickly for a profit. When I take a look at what I made against what I spent, I've lost.

I do feel that along with enjoying what you read, (which is why I buy comics) a certain segment of the collecting community is out there for investing. Certainly that doesn't make them all selfish, does it. That's like me saying people buying 9.4's and 9.6's are selfish for wanting nothing but the best while VF's and lower grade prices are suffering as a result. It would not be a fair statement.

Everyone in this hobby is entitled to be in it for the reasons they want to be in it. Nobody's wrong and we all need each other to make this hobby work and flourish. Just think about where this hobby would be without all those (selfish) investors. hmmmmm? grin.gif

I myself dont really like that policy. I mean it makes it fun to get to your comic shop and pick up your book and find out next week that it was a sell out. Then you can be proud that you have a copy and that there is only a certain amount out there. If they do reprints then boom anyone can get a copy of it.

It also takes the fun out of hunting down books when you are trying to find them.....maybe it is just me but I love trying to find some books that have sold out that I am interested in, then we i finally get it..... smile.gif

I think this is just a money grabbing thing brought out by marvel, I really dont think they care about giving them people what they want.....it is just a way to put more coin in their pockets. It also drives down the value of the book as well it there are multiple reprints of them.....not saying every modern book is a gold mine but the few that are out there are fun to own.

This is just my thoughts on it.

The solution is to reprint with a new cover. It gets more copies into circulation for the readers, makes the reprint unique and collectible, and preserves the collectibility of the first print.

The solution is to reprint with a new cover. It gets more copies into circulation for the readers, makes the reprint unique and collectible, and preserves the collectibility of the first print.

I agree, and it also stops some [!@$!] on ebay selling 2nd prints as 1st prints

I was just coming into this forum to talk about the no-reprint policy when I saw this thread ...

I'm in the I don't like the switch. There's plenty of bemoaning on these boards about the dying hobby, kids not interested and so on and I think the no-reprint policy injected interest into the hobby.

That's because it does give a new comic some inherent value, and not in investment terms only, in my opinion. It injects the "wow" factor into some books for youngsters, creates an instant sense of rarity and "coolness" to the books.

I got back in late last year and was buying silver age only, but the collectible nature of the new releases -- along with the art -- has me buying new issues as well.

I'll be sorry to see it go ...

I agree, and it also stops some [!@$!] on ebay selling 2nd prints as 1st prints

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I think this is a big step in the right direction. Now store owners will have more flexibility when placing orders. While I can understand it might upset a few fans, the retailers wre in dire need of this. The distribution

system is broken and this is but the first step needed to fix it.

I was just thinking the same thing. The problem with comics in the nineties was the terrible over printing of them. The books were a dime a dozen so they didn't seem so unique when you bought them. Two covers would be the perfect solution.

Gary

I've also thought that newsstand sales could be stimulated by printing the newsstand copies with different covers.

Initially, sales would spike due to collector purchases, but hopefully non-direct market orders and distribution would rise, and some retail outlets that had stopped ordering comics because they weren't selling would restart. In turn, the impulse 7-11 buying and the (hopefully) nurturing and developing of future collectors could restart.

As it stands right now, about half of the 7-11s in my area carry comics, and even then it's often only a few titles. frown.gif

I've also thought that newsstand sales could be stimulated by printing the newsstand copies with different covers.

Marvel WAS doing this a few years ago. They created a newstand only title called Marvel Universe. It was numbered on its own, but featured the direct sales comics of Daredevil and others exactly. The only difference was the cover art at first (Hulf issues) then the front cover logo changed, and the issue number. I think the insidees were actually the exact same diret copies, they even had the same indicia giving a different comic title and issue number than the cover!!

anyway, I agree that a different cover would be a good solution..EXCEPT, they would be criticized again for milking collectors who would be "FORCED" to buy all printings again!