• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about scarcity

7 posts in this topic

Here is a question for those with years of experience in the comic book collecting world. Myself, I've been collecting since the late 1980s, but I just started buying Golden Age books a year or so ago. I have been collecting Flash Comics mostly and know that the last few issues are the most scarce. It seems that issues in the 60s are considered scarce, too. My question: Why is it that some of the issues that are considered scarce seem to be easier to find than others? For instance, I have only seen one issue of Flash Comics 35 on sale during the past year, but I've found handfuls of the "scarce" issues. It's the same way with other Flash Comics issues that many dealers do not consider scarce. Why is it that some of the scarce issues are easier to find? Is it because dealers are also looking for those scarce issues more than earlier issues in the series? I'm looking forward to reading discussion on this topic. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Scott popcorn.gif

Why is it that some of the scarce issues are easier to find? Is it because dealers are also looking for those scarce issues more than earlier issues in the series? I'm looking forward to reading discussion on this topic. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Scott popcorn.gif

Okay, here's my take on this particular situation.

I think it has something to do with perceived demand and is very similar to the same situation with key books. Generally everybody knows which books are key and which books are considered to be scarce. As a result, sellers are probably more tempted to sell these types of books first, since they believe that they have a higher demand and hence will be easier to sell and also provide the seller with more money in the end.

Just my take on this apparent anomaly.

You also have to consider that the price guides are wrong about scarcity.The world[via computers] is now a very connected place.TECHNOLOGY is now helping us gather information more accuratly.This was not so much the case in the early overstreet and Gerber book days.I think what is rare and scarce will be redifined more accuratly and as a result, what was thought to be rare is really just scarce and whats rare will be found to be common.

I believe the relative scarcity of an issue can make them seem less scarce when prices hit a certain level. The Flash for instance does not have as large of a following as Batman, Captain America, or Superman, so the number of people looking to complete a run is less and that coupled with the high price of the harder to find issues makes people put them on the market for sell. I have seen several of the issues from 99 to 104 over the years. I had one dealer friend that put the group together in VFN condition in one year pre-internet days. I believe Heritage has (had?) several of these issues in a recent or upcoming auction. BTW, I think the Flash run is pretty cool and the price on many issues makes it an affordable series to complete. Good luck with it!