• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVENTURE 247 ON COMICLINK

98 posts in this topic

tim, when ud acquire your 9.4 247 and whod u acquire it from?

Ben, I got it end of 2002/beginning of 2003. Had to do the time payment thing. Would prefer not to disclose who I bought it from.

usd

confused.gif

Nice #210! It's always an exciting occasion when you decide to show some of your great collection! thumbsup2.gif

Yes. Because it happens so rarely. poke2.gif

That's a repeat, IIRC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow! Looks like I struck some nerves. Silver, I don;t know who you are but I love you! Krypto anyday!! In general, I appreciate all the comments. Whoever got a restored 1.8 247, that's decent. As much as I loathe the early legion, I want a $200 copy just to have one. For all of you that say the Legion is one of DC's most popular titles, NOT SO. If you wish to ammend that to say post 1968 I'll go along with it. Being a great deal older than most of you I can attest that from 1960- 1965, ADventure Comics was not a popular title. DC seemed to be killing itself with poor quality books. Showcase, B&B, ATom, MIS, Hawkman, JLA, Flash were all interesting and fun, but the older titles simply sucked and Marvel was cleaning house.

HOW COULD I FORGET SHOWCASE 22?!!?!?!? My bad. One of my all time favorir=tes and I need a low grade copy. Krypto is NOT a newcomer. Good Dog art has been popular for 30+ years. I started getting requests for 210 in the late 70's, as well as 247 but easily 5:1 for 210. the book is nonexsistent compared to 247 and high grades don't exist. I hope Dallesandro will sell me his 9.0 someday! I have a nice 3.5 but have never seen a high grade and I've seen many high grade 247's over the years. Anything else you folks want me to write about to stir up trash??

keith

As much as there may be general interest, I would be surprised if there would be bidding to the same level as Adv 247 if, for example, a 9.4 copy came up.

Robert's listing of his Mohawk #247 has certainly generated some interesting discussion. It was always a sore point that the #247 was taken out when the Mohawk Valley run was originall auctioned off. It is a very very nice book, but prices on this issue have always been rather unpredictable, and I think will continue to be so.

Twenty five years ago #247 was head and shoulders THE number one SA key to acquire. Since then, its desirability has gradually eroded away. A fairly static cover, it lacks the energy of a B&B #28, the glamor of a Showcase #4 and the majesty of most early SA Marvel keys. Coupled with all that, #247 is not especially scarce. I have owned several nice copies. My biggest mistake with this book was to turn down the Bethlehem copy for $12,000 though the early owners of that copy all let a fortune slip through their fingers. There will be big sales of #247 in future years; it only takes one person with the buying urge for any sale.

Far scarcer, and more exotic is Adventure #267. Just as #247 can be a bit boring, this book can be a lot exciting. The Mohawk Valley #267 has very poor page quality - I had a good look at it when Daniel Greenhalgh was selling it. Technically a VFNM I couldn't bring myself to buy it for that reason. Soon after, Vincent's Collectibles had a copy in the NM range and that single copy is the only all round high grade #267 I have ever seen.

I'm not sure why collectors tend to link and compare Adventure #210 to #247. Probably just because they are the same title. A few members here have played down the #210 as a key while others regard it as a major book. It all depends on whether you have the DC "apple pie" gene, loving homely and non-threatening comic book covers, typically with a friendly Smallville scene right out of the Andy Griffith Show. The first appearance of Krypto will never be a huge key book, but huge prices would be realized for any high grade copies that might come up for sale, from collectors who feel a true childhood nostalgia for a book published before they were born!

My biggest mistake with this book was to turn down the Bethlehem copy for $12,000 though the early owners of that copy all let a fortune slip through their fingers.

I can assure you it's in good hands.

There will be big sales of #247 in future years; it only takes one person with the buying urge for any sale.

Actually, it takes two to tango. There also has to be a seller, and except for the MV #247 (which is priced at a level to deter bidders, although I understand what RR is doing), I don't see any HG copies coming to market.

Far scarcer, and more exotic is Adventure #267. Just as #247 can be a bit boring, this book can be a lot exciting.

Very true. Also Action #267.

There will be big sales of #247 in future years; it only takes one person with the buying urge for any sale.

"Actually, it takes two to tango. There also has to be a seller, and except for the MV #247 (which is priced at a level to deter bidders, although I understand what RR is doing), I don't see any HG copies coming to market."

Yes, of course there has to be a seller. Perhaps no high grade copies will come to market in the forseeable future, though one exciting aspect of this hobby is that none of us know what may be in collections and may appear for sale. Sometimes, it can be easier to understand scarcity vs availability for a well known issue such as Adventure #247. Some other books, even in the Adventure run after #247, may be issues that are not yet appreciated for their extreme scarcity and might not appear for sale in high grade for many years. Just talking about books that are considered key, how many high grade copies of Adventure #256, #271, #275, or even Legion covers #290 and #293 have any of us seen for sale? All these books are at least as hard to find as the #247, some much more so, though I'm talking CGC 9.4 or better copies for the #290 and #293.

Nice to know the Bethlehem copy has a good home!

may be issues that are not yet appreciated for their extreme scarcity and might not appear for sale in high grade for many years.

While not the books in question, the May Heritage sig auction contains a bevy of HG SA DC, all first appearances for the books on offer.

Many highlights to be seen there.

....no I'm not on commission.

Just never say 'never' when talking funny books is all.

Keith may be old but to me he will always be the original Rant and Raver.

Adventure 247 may suck to some but I have to say that the CGC 5.0 I have for sale is definitely a eye catching wall book to many. And that's important to me since when a collector stops, they look at other books. Most wish it was a 9.0 and this comment has come from multiple collectors.

Given the page quality, $20,000 seems like the right price. The book is very nice and IS NOT an 8.0

S

There you go talking down other people's books again. Don't think you would have done that if the book was on Metropolis. -Josh

Just talking about books that are considered key, how many high grade copies of Adventure #256, #271, #275, or even Legion covers #290 and #293 have any of us seen for sale? All these books are at least as hard to find as the #247, some much more so, though I'm talking CGC 9.4 or better copies for the #290 and #293.

My heart was broken when a 9.4 #290 appeared on CL recently and I thought I had won it but it turned out it had already been purchased even though the system accepted my offer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It went for a very reasonable price and whoever won it could flip it at a very nice profit if they wanted to (i.e., sell it to me!). grin.gif

The highest non-mega-key books on my want list right now are Adventure 267, 290 and 293 and Action 267 and 276 in 9.4 or above. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

may be issues that are not yet appreciated for their extreme scarcity and might not appear for sale in high grade for many years.

While not the books in question, the May Heritage sig auction contains a bevy of HG SA DC, all first appearances for the books on offer.

Uh, no there are not!!!! makepoint.gif It clearly was a figment of your imagination.

Move on folks, Brasseye was hallucinating. There are NO HG SA DCs in the May Heritage auction. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Quick, go look at the pretty Bangzoom books in the GA Forum!

Given the page quality, $20,000 seems like the right price. The book is very nice and IS NOT an 8.0

S

There you go talking down other people's books again. Don't think you would have done that if the book was on Metropolis. -Josh

gee Josh. Somehow I hafta think you were on the same page as the rest of us when this same book sat and sat on Roter's site for years. What changed?? : )

I can understand hearing Metro dis the book's got to make you see a little red, but what do you think it's worth?

I don't even think Fishler was dissing the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

No, just a small impartial appraisal from where I was sitting.

But Josh has never been one to be backward about coming forward with his opinions of right and wrong.

...did he ever pursue that talk of litigation in proceedings of Natharson v Schmell? poke2.gif

Uh, no there are not!!!! makepoint.gif It clearly was a figment of your imagination.

Move on folks, Brasseye was hallucinating. There are NO HG SA DCs in the May Heritage auction. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Quick, go look at the pretty Bangzoom books in the GA Forum!

Tim, 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Sharing is next to caring.

...so what HAVEN'T you got your eye on out of the veritable aladins cave of an offering!!!

fess up stooges.gif

...so what HAVEN'T you got your eye on out of the veritable aladins cave of an offering!!!

Here are the HG SA DCs that will be in the auction which I'm NOT able to buy for legal and ethical reasons:

Atom 2............CGC 9.4

Atom 4............CGC 9.6 Massachusetts

Atom 5............CGC 9.4

Atom 7............CGC 9.4

Atom 10..........CGC 9.4 Sid's Luncheonette

Atom 13..........CGC 9.6

Atom 14..........CGC 9.4

Atom 15..........CGC 9.6

B&B 34...........CGC 9.4 Western Penn

B&B 35...........CGC 9.4 Western Penn

B&B 36...........CGC 9.4 Western Penn

B&B 43...........CGC 9.4 White Mountain

Flash 126........CGC 9.4

Showcase 34...CGC 9.4

Showcase 35...CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Showcase 36...CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Showcase 38...CGC 9.8

Here are the HG SA DCs that will be in the auction which I'm NOT able to buy for legal and ethical reasons:

Atom 13..........CGC 9.6

Atom 14..........CGC 9.4

Atom 15..........CGC 9.6

Flash 126........CGC 9.4

Showcase 34...CGC 9.4

Showcase 35...CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Showcase 36...CGC 9.6 Western Penn

Showcase 38...CGC 9.8

893applaud-thumb.gif

Atom 13..........CGC 9.6

Atom 14..........CGC 9.4

Atom 15..........CGC 9.6