• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

western penn. collection?????

44 posts in this topic

ok, i have been after a true NM copy of the 2nd man thing in Astonishing tales #12 for over 2 years now, (talk about TOUGH black border picture frame covers....)and finally won the cgc 9.4 western penn copy that ended last night. The spine had some stress, but the edges look razor sharp so i went for it. My question is what is the story with the Western Penn. notation. I haven't really followed all the mini pedigrees that have been cropping up, so any help would be great!

I am going to assume that Pennsylvania and Western Penn are the same thing, if they are not then I am sure that someone out there will correct me. With that said, here is what I can help you with.

Apparently I was incorrect so......

Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

Actually, they are totally different collections. I don't have a history of the Western Penn collection but a search on the forum topics should be able to get some info. I know some have posted on it in the past. confused-smiley-013.gif

Dagnabit. Thats what I get for trying to help someone out. Well, I am definately sorry about posting incorrect information then. frown.gif

On the positive side, thanks for correcting me so quickly so I do not misinform anyone else. grin.gif

Well thanks for the thorough info on the pennsylvania collection! Learn something new everyday! I did a search for western penn, but didn't really turn anything up..... confused.gif
Well...at the very least, you can EMAIL Chris Cole for some info. However, there were books sold before he bought up the remaining parts of the collection. confused-smiley-013.gif

Why don't you just email the seller? He sells about 15-40 of the Western Penn books about every 2-3 weeks. I buy from him regularly, and he's a fantastic seller - great packaging, and he doesn't overcharge for shipping. Sometimes his shipping costs are actually a little more than he charges. I would presume he knows the story behind the books.

Hope this helps, and please post any info you find here.

I've been trying to get info on Western Penn for about the last month. I've got a request in with the original purchaser of the collection to do an interview, but I won't have an answer until sometime around the end of the summer because he's out of the country. He has a friend who is a forum member who claims to know quite a bit about the collection.

If I'm able to find the story behind the collection, I'll share it. I only know small parts of it right now.

I was bidding on that Astonishing Tales 12 as well. The Western Pa books are superb. They are unread and have the most incredible cover gloss. I doubt the book has any spine stress, CGC does not grade books 9.4 with spine stress. They down grade for it. I have/bought a NM looking Thor 194, they graded it 8.5 becasue of spine breaks that did not brake color. If a books has stress it may bean 8.5, 9.0 or 9.2 based slabbed books what I own.

I saw no spine marks on my monitor for that book.

Enjoy the book, it's a killer copy.

ditto, i've seen plenty of NM 9.4's with spine stress. rule of thumb is 3-4 spine stress should be the most allowed for a NM book per Dr. Keith Conrtarino. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif now i don't know if that's for colour breaking or non colour breaking? confused-smiley-013.gif

hmmmm..... how can i see the cover gloss in a f'n slab?!?!?!!!?! I don't think i can pop that one open. I think i can count 4 stresses on it, but man are the edges sharp. I think cgc will allow the stresses as long as there are not any other problems. They'll allow a small corner crease if there are no stresses, so....

Is the current seller of western pa (Chris) not the original owner?

No, he's related to the original purchaser, who bought the books quite a while ago. CGC hasn't seen most of the early stuff, which was sold off before they came into existance. Another forum member claims that there was Golden Age content in the collection, but I haven't been able to get confirmation of this yet.

James, has your first CBG article been published yet? confused.gif

The one on the Vancouver books is done and coming soon...the others are taking more time. Vancouver was bought by one guy, but most of them were bought by several dealers. I haven't found one yet that is easy research besides Vancouver!!! Curator, Western Penn, Green River, Winnipeg, etc, etc...they're all requiring me to contact multiple dealers and chase down contact information for people I may not even have names for.

And I really want to do absolutely thorough research on these things...it isn't easy and I don't expect any articles besides Vancouver to be done for months. Maybe not even this year...depends on how successful I am at chasing people down over the next few months. I'm finding that dealers are most eager to discuss pedigrees, but anybody besides a dealer takes forever to find and/or successfully contact.

Is the current seller of western pa (Chris) not the original owner?

No, he's related to the original purchaser, who bought the books quite a while ago. CGC hasn't seen most of the early stuff, which was sold off before they came into existance. Another forum member claims that there was Golden Age content in the collection, but I haven't been able to get confirmation of this yet.

I asked Mark Haspel at the San Diego dinner if he had any knowledge of any Golden Age books being part of the collection. He said that the earliest book that he had graded from the collection is from 1961. I didn't ask for the book or issue number so I can't give you any further information. With respect to having Golden Age books, perhaps the books got assimilated into collections a while back. I believe linmoth mentioned that the collection was discovered in 1977 but the first time I heard about the collection was around 1991-1992 when Keith Contarino was mentioning its virtues in the Overstreet Update market reports!

but the first time I heard about the collection was around 1991-1992 when Keith Contarino was mentioning its virtues in the Overstreet Update market reports!

ahhh....the good ol' days cloud9.gif i still read them when i go back to my parents house.saruman.gif