• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conventions, artists, help me not look stupid

6 posts in this topic

Ok, in two weeks there is the first Atlanta Comic Expo. I'm rather skeptical of how well it will do, but the organizers are spending some major coin to bring in some talent. Here is a list of some of the names.

I've started collecting art and would love some sketches, so um, how does it work? Do I just roll up to David Mack and ask for a Daredevil sketch? Do the artists charge for sketches? Or will most of them just be autographing and maybe sketching for a fee.....I just don't know how it all plays out and am curious, thanks.

You can always ask them if they are doing free headsketches. Most will probably be doing paid commissions so you can get on their list. some want cash up front, some will wait until you pick up the piece at the con.

I never see anybody charging for autographs unless you want a ton done unless they are a celebrity/non comic pro (ie Wesley Shipp). Alot will also bring their OA for sale. Politely ask for prices and most are willing to negoitate on pieces if you buy more than one.

I bought a cool Civil War page from Dexter Vines two months back, funeral scene from issue 4 or 5.

Did you buy an artist sketchbook and have them sketch in there pirate? I've seen your CAF stuff, was thinking of going to Michael's or some place to look for one.

They do paid commissions at shows? Are they comms that they are asked for at the show?

Really dumb about all this stuff, never been to one of the bigger cons

I bought a cool Civil War page from Dexter Vines two months back, funeral scene from issue 4 or 5.

Did you buy an artist sketchbook and have them sketch in there pirate? I've seen your CAF stuff, was thinking of going to Michael's or some place to look for one.

They do paid commissions at shows? Are they comms that they are asked for at the show?

At some of the larger cons you'll be able to buy a blank sketchbook - but it's a good idea to bring one with you (it'll be cheaper). OR you can bring a pad of bristol board with you and get loose sketches. It's a matter of preference. (Some artists have their own board they prefer to use - unless you specify otherwise.)

Artist con sketches are generally done at the show - but I've gotten some started and the artist has finished them at home. Expect to pay anywhere between $20 and $200 depending on what you want and what artist you're talking to.

Just mind your manners, ask don't tell, and most artists will be more than happy to work with you. I'm sure they've heard it all - so don't be afraid of looking stupid.

At some of the larger cons you'll be able to buy a blank sketchbook - but it's a good idea to bring one with you (it'll be cheaper). OR you can bring a pad of bristol board with you and get loose sketches. It's a matter of preference. (Some artists have their own board they prefer to use - unless you specify otherwise.)

Artist con sketches are generally done at the show - but I've gotten some started and the artist has finished them at home. Expect to pay anywhere between $20 and $200 depending on what you want and what artist you're talking to.

Just mind your manners, ask don't tell, and most artists will be more than happy to work with you. I'm sure they've heard it all - so don't be afraid of looking stupid.

thumbsup2.gif

Most embarassing con moment. Back in the day I went up to Lady Pendagon creator Matt Hawkins and asked him for a sketch. His answer " Umm, I'm the writer" I did get a cool word bubble with carpe diem written in it lol

One NY National,we were sitting around at The ACTOR table at the end of the show. when some kid with a sketch/autograph book came by and asked for an autograph.DAM60 happily obliged and the kid ran off,tickled pink.