• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with Batman #1

36 posts in this topic

Is the picture warped or are all 3 edges of the comic trimmed? At least, the Bat #1 is affordable now.

It does looked trimmed.

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic

I would say $2k-$3k

That would be a nice bargain. I would wager that if the Fish had this book, it would be at least 5 - 6K. Or really, any other major dealer. Some would have it higher. I wouldn't pay 6k for it, but some would ask it.

I would say $2k-$3k

That would be a nice bargain. I would wager that if the Fish had this book, it would be at least 5 - 6K. Or really, any other major dealer. Some would have it higher. I wouldn't pay 6k for it, but some would ask it.

Same here. Trimmed really bothers me.

I would say $2k-$3k

Same here. Trimmed really bothers me.

It is right behind brittle pages for me in the unpardonable sins department.

The restoration doesn't look too good and the trimming in a definite deal breaker which is why I wouldn't pay more than 2k to 3k depending on how it looked in hand.

Hey, I am with you. I'd go 2 to 3k too. I was just saying others would ask more.

The restoration doesn't look too good and the trimming in a definite deal breaker which is why I wouldn't pay more than 2k to 3k depending on how it looked in hand.

Hey, I am with you. I'd go 2 to 3k too. I was just saying others would ask more.

I think you are definitely right, on a dealer site it would be up there in price. Ugly restored books are not my cup of tea.

Based on this pic, it looks like the book has had moderate to extensive resto.

Color touch, pieces added, cleaned/pressed (probably), right edge trimmed.

Signature is cool.

I agree on all counts thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

A standing O for everyone that contributed to this thread.

Now that I have established the market value of the Batman #1, $2000-3000 range, I have to approach a buyer that thinks it is worth 5X that. I'm doubtful he will accept my offer. Regardless, I'll outline my issues with the restoration and stand firm. If he declines, I'll walk away feeling like I made a fair value offer on it.

As a GA neophite who owns only 2 GA comics (Superman #1, World's Finest #3), I always leave the board learning something new about the hobby. My wife at first was 'supportive', but now she gets excited with each new prospect of adding to the collection. I've got search bots that troll for comics primarily within N Indiana\S Michigan\NW Ohio territory. It is alot of fun meeting buyers and talking about how they got into comics or how they became the owner of a comic. I also like handing a seller a wad of $$$ and seeing the expression on their face.

If he thinks it's worth 10-15K (and that's what you were prepared to spend) you should check out the nice one Esquire had this week at 10K.

If that is gone, there are lots of them around at that price. Not a tough book to find at all (but a darn good one).

If he thinks it's worth 10-15K (and that's what you were prepared to spend) you should check out the nice one Esquire had this week at 10K.

If that is gone, there are lots of them around at that price. Not a tough book to find at all (but a darn good one).

Sound advice Zilla, I was going to refer tabcom to Mark and Jamie's copy as well. It looks very nice for 10K.

I just got off the phone with the seller. He was grateful for the information I provided. However, he was very disappointed with what I told him the fair value of the comic is. He left me with the impression that he paid far more than what the comic is worth. He was so dejected that he said he is not going to sell it at all.

I just got off the phone with the seller. He was grateful for the information I provided. However, he was very disappointed with what I told him the fair value of the comic is. He left me with the impression that he paid far more than what the comic is worth. He was so dejected that he said he is not going to sell it at all.

Poor guy. I wonder where he bought it? BSD? Dupcak?

I think any Bats #1 is "worth" buying at more than 2-3K if it's complete and presentable. I sold a 1.5 with amateur resto (glue) for 5K. And that copy had fire and water damage.

I think this copy is worth buying at 4K, and would retail at 5 - 6K.

Fraud Alert!

Batman #1 Trimmed on eBay -- Don't Buy

I talked to the seller on the phone a couple weeks ago and told him that we here at the 'collectors-society' suspect his Batman #1 is trimmed. He has now relisted it, stating, "No pieces have been added or taken away from the book. The book has had only minimal restoration to strengthen the spine otherwise it has never been touched."

The current bid is at $8000!

I've reported the listing as a fraud to ebay.

What is this guy thinking?