• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why No Reply?

30 posts in this topic

For extremely high-end books, legal accountability could be an issue. With known grading standards, grades could be open to challenges in books where half grades can mean thousands of dollars difference.

The other problem is the types of defects that have to be blended to arrive at a grade. Stress lines, scuffing, creases, corner blunting, page quality(?), staples, impact marks, fading, date stamps(?), front vs back cover, spine roll, tanned edges....etc,etc. Starting with the most glaring defect is easy, but outlining set criteria for formulating a grade based on mixed minor defects is near impossible, IMHO.

Then we're talking about two different things. I see it as more an "ease of business processes" kind of deal, where no grading standards = easy adapatiblity to changing trends and shifts in the unknown grading standards. Basically, CGC can change it when they need to, and no one is the wiser.

The reason I think this is that coin and sportscard grading companies offer full disclosure on grading standards, and there have been some seriously valuable items come through there (as in millions of dollars), yet without a host of lawsuits.

Heck, if I was CGC and had no competitors, there would be no reason to make the business more difficult and "paint yourself ito a corner" by releasing standards.

I agree with your points as well.... the bottom line, I guess, is that hell will freeze over before we see official CGC grading standards released.

There are three or four reasons above that support this.

Simply stated, CGC writes "restoration includes" in order to cover their . The word includes has just enough wiggle room to cover a situation where they miss some of the restoration. The problem is that while CGC is protecting itself, the person who owns the book in question suffers.

The wording on the label greatly effects the value of the book. Think about the following comparison and decide which way you would want your book described. Let's say you submit a book with a 1/2" tear seal on the back cover that has very slight color touch on the seal. Would you prefer-Restoration includes: tear seals, color touch OR Restoration: 1 half-inch tear seal back cover with slight color touch on the seal. The way CGC chooses to describe a book creates the impression that the book has more restoration than it actually has. In the case with restored book, the more specific, the better. Without a doubt, CGC carries most of responsibility for the slump in the value of restored books. Collectors needs to wake up and avoid sending restored books to CGC until their policies change.

"Collectors needs to wake up and avoid sending restored books to CGC until their policies change."

.......i think you'll find that most of the restored books graded by cgc were sent in by collectors who didn't realise their books were restored, or who hoped they weren't................. shocked.gif

Must you continue on your quest to denigrate "the Cow" collection once again??? MOOOO! As a fan of these books, I react more positively and admiringly at a CGC book with the Top Cow collection on it than the Edenwald pedigree whose origins as discussed here in these forums seem nothing more than comic urban legend.

If anyone can point to a site that discusses the Edenwald pedigree, please enlighten me.

Would you prefer-Restoration includes: tear seals, color touch OR Restoration: 1 half-inch tear seal back cover with slight color touch on the seal. The way CGC chooses to describe a book creates the impression that the book has more restoration than it actually has

Exactly. I would actually rather see "Restoration Detected" or "Restoration Found". I don't care iof they cannot detect 100% of the restoration 100% of the time. But that horrid feeling one gets from "includes" where you think "Well, they may be more than what they are saying" would prevent me from buying a cgc restored book. I would rather use my own experience and detect for myself.

The way CGC chooses to describe a book creates the impression that the book has more restoration than it actually has.

Absolutely on the mark! You betcha! grin.gif