• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Line through UPC code?

11 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this question from all you knowledgable old-timers, but what does the line through the UPC code mean?

Do you mean the vertical line....or the horizontal line....or the diagonal line... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually...I don't think there should be any stinkin' line through the UPC.... makepoint.gif

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this question from all you knowledgable old-timers, but what does the line through the UPC code mean?

One with the line through it was direct sales and not through a newstand/bookstore. That line not only distinguishes it but probably makes it unreadable for a bar code scanner.

Tom

The slash through the UPC was on all direct sales Marvel Comics cover dated June 1979 through at least Feb 1980. This included all annuals during that period. No real difference from the newstand editions except the slash and most also have the price in a diamond instead of a square.