• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WERE ALL COMICS CREATED EQUAL?

37 posts in this topic

The CGC grade to me speaks of the condition of the book, more so its structural integrity than its aesthetic appeal. Your displayed flaws above, (though very ugly and undesirable IMO) does not affect the condition of the book, just its appearance. So, no I don't think CGC should deduct for miswraps and stapleplacement - they may be ugly as sin but if the book if fresh out of the box and its pages are white and there are no flaws on the spine with sharp corners as if ooff the press, then it's a 9.8 in my book...

Since I feel that eye appeal is an essential part of the overall grade, I vote no.

Since I feel that eye appeal is an essential part of the overall grade, I vote no.

I voted yes. If you think grading can be subjective......imagine the nightmare caused when eye appeal is factored into the equation.

Everyone can agree that corners are important regarding grade. Everyone can agree that spine stresses are important regarding grade. Everyone can agree that creases are important regarding grade. And still, everyone considers grading subjective and can't always agree on grade when looking at these types of things.

Everyone doesn't agree on the "weight" to be put on different eye appeal factors. Some high grade collectors don't mind store stamps but hate miscuts. Other high grade collectors don't mind miswraps but hate writing on the cover. This goes back to buying the book and not the label that we've heard a thousand times this week. This is why I NEVER bid on an auction where I can't get a clear scan of the book. That whole line of "I don't have a picture but the book is CGC graded so you know what you're getting"........is a bunch of horse 893censored-thumb.gif.

as comics grading is relativelty new, it seems clear to me that at some point CGC will factor in centering and other manufaturing "defects" that they ignore now. Already most buyers of high graded books are choosing which 9.6s have these problems and arent worth buying, and which are, So just like cards,, centering and other print issues will be taken into consideration, to codify what collectors are already acting upon with their wallets.

It will also goose the sales of the "better" copies of books with a few dozen 9.4s or 9.6s in the census into the "good" ones and "bad" ones - - at a time when the swelling census could use a clearing out... What kind of effetc to you think it would mean to the price of a few well-centered Hulk 181s that become 9.65s as most of the other 9.6s get lowered to 9.55????

Why not a secondary grade that only takes the "eye appeal"(cut, wrap, staples, etc..) into consideration?

Although some of my books( shown in my initial post) would suffer from these "deductions".... 893frustrated.gif

I think that the "perfect" ones would probably take up the slack.

Why not a secondary grade that only takes the "eye appeal"(cut, wrap, staples, etc..) into consideration?

The problem is that 'eye appeal' means different things to different collectors. Virtualy impossible to please everyone. I certainly think that CGC should factor production 'defects' INTO their current grading. Creating a second 'eye appeal' grade would only add to the confusion IMHO.

When I used the term "eye appeal", I meant in regards to "production defects"

Sure, but the point I made is still valid. Some collectors don't mind production defects.

I think they should and eventually will be factored into CGC's grading, but that doesn't mean everyone thinks that way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I used the term "eye appeal", I meant in regards to "production defects"

Sure, but the point I made is still valid. Some collectors don't mind production defects.

I think they should and eventually will be factored into CGC's grading, but that doesn't mean everyone thinks that way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't want CGC to factor production defects into their grade, as I consider CGC's grades a measure of condition. I use the term "condition" to describe the difference between a comic NOW, as compared to when it was NEW.( How has the comic been handled, and preserved?)

A "mint" comic comes straight off the presses......

A "perfect" one comes...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

every once in a while? confused-smiley-013.gif

I wouldn't want CGC to factor production defects into their grade, as I consider CGC's grades a measure of condition. I use the term "condition" to describe the difference between a comic NOW, as compared to when it was NEW

You are talking about condition and grade as if they are two diffrent things, and I don't think they should be. The grade of a comic book should convey the shape the book is in right now, and handling damage AND printing, shipping, damage etc all have to be considered.

Whether a book is 'new' or 'vintage' should have no bearing on how the book is graded. Not every book comes of the presses in mint condition.

A book that was "born" with a 1/4" miswrap, should definately be "eligible" of receiving a CGC 10.0.

It isn't that grade and condition are "different things", it's that there should be a grade for the CONDITION of the book( CGC), and some form of grade for the production of the particular book in question...

How much do you downgrade for a misplaced staple?

How much for a 1/4" miswrap?

What if there is a 1/8" miscut?

Would you rather have a NM- 9.2 with perfect staples, and a perfect wrap and cut.......

Or would you rather have a NM+ 9.6 that has misplaced staples, or a bad cut, or maybe a 1/4" miswrap?

Of the flaws that you pointed out the only one that really bothers me is the miswraps. I hate it when a book has a white stripe on the edge like the Hulk 181 you showed. Its even worse when the miswrap is angled and you have an uneven white margin on the side of the book. When buying CGC graded books online, this is the one thing I always look out for. As long as the book doesn't have an ugly miswrap, I usually trust the CGC grade. I think CGC should take miswraps into account when grading, but its not to big of a deal to me because it is easy for me to see a miswrap in a scan.

Would you rather have a NM- 9.2 with perfect staples, and a perfect wrap and cut.......

Without question. Buy the book not the label. makepoint.gif

Or would you rather have a NM+ 9.6 that has misplaced staples, or a bad cut, or maybe a 1/4" miswrap?

In my view such a book should not get a 9.6.

CGC grade aside.......

I would say that this is a "perfect" copy of Hulk 330. This book should receive a 10.0 for QP( Quality of Production)....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1stmcfarlanehulk.jpg

makepoint.gif

At some point in time, books that have perfect centering and cut will sell for a substantial premium above books that have production "defects".

Although CGC 9.6's may be plentiful for a particular book, what % of those NM+ books have a perfect wrap and perfect staples? How many have a perfect cut?

I was interested to see what other forum members considered "acceptable", and to what degree different production defects affected the APPEAL of the book..... confused-smiley-013.gif