• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WERE ALL COMICS CREATED EQUAL?

37 posts in this topic

Do you think the above production flaws should be taken into consideration when assigning a comic a grade?

Or should there be a seperate grading scale for production flaws?

All CGC 9.6's were not created equal, and I thought this forum community could get together and develop a grading scale for these differences.....

Just a thought confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you think the above production flaws should be taken into consideration when assigning a comic a grade?

All CGC 9.6's were not created equal, and I thought this forum community could get together and develop a grading scale for these differences.....

This is easy.....buy the book not the label.

I try to start a thread about the difference between "perfect" and "mint", and all I get is Bug telling me to shut up( mad.gif), and Mushroom gives me the old "buy the book not the label"? confused.gif

I know we've discussed the issue of whether or not CGC should take miswraps, etc... into consideration when grading. From those discussions, there didn't seem to be any form of real concensus on the issue.

I thought it might be cool if forum members would post scans of "perfect" books, and maybe some POS 9.8's as well.

I try to start a thread about the difference between "perfect" and "mint", and all I get is Bug telling me to shut up( mad.gif), and Mushroom gives me the old "buy the book not the label"? confused.gif

insane.gif

So much for trying to be serious...... tongue.gif

Well, it's kind of a DOA topic. It's hard to stir up a controversy when we all agree they are not all equal. That's unfortunately about as much as there really is to say! tongue.gif

I bet I have two of the worst miscut comics around. One is a TALES OF SUSPENSE #30 Thats got about a 1/4 inch of white showing at the upper right corner and left corner almost right on target.

I have another comic, can't remember what one, that along the openning edge it has what looks like another comic cover starting. The cover is a good 1/2 inch off on the cutting. What ever the next cover was its got to be just as bad or worse.

Both books are in excellent shape and would probable grade pretty high. Think I should send them in for grading or not bother? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The CGC grade to me speaks of the condition of the book, more so its structural integrity than its aesthetic appeal. Your displayed flaws above, (though very ugly and undesirable IMO) does not affect the condition of the book, just its appearance. So, no I don't think CGC should deduct for miswraps and stapleplacement - they may be ugly as sin but if the book if fresh out of the box and its pages are white and there are no flaws on the spine with sharp corners as if ooff the press, then it's a 9.8 in my book...

I know we've discussed the issue of whether or not CGC should take miswraps, etc... into consideration when grading. From those discussions, there didn't seem to be any form of real concensus on the issue.

I thought it might be cool if forum members would post scans of "perfect" books, and maybe some POS 9.8's as well.

Bug is just being Bug, he can't help it, it's in his nature. Just enjoy it. It's a pretty good show. And 2 a night at N/C 893whatthe.gif.....

Ya' can't beat that for entertainment. grin.gif

As far as POS 9.8's?

I suspect for the most part with all the high-end collectors on this forum, if they had a POS 9.8, they'd get rid of it. But it probably would never get graded because it's a POS book.

These guys have their standards ya' know. mad.gifgrin.gif

Beyonder, it's not your fault. You are just another victim of the Miswrap 4. So sad.

Miswrap 4

Blowout

FF

Darth

Murph

Mission: To endlessly go on and on about the CGC "miswrap problem" until all comic collectors turn into card collectors, then buy up their collections at dirt cheap prices.

The more I think about this the more I think we are all using the wrong terminology. Shouldn't this be pointed out as MISALIGNMENT.

A MISCUT would mean the book is not square cornered. Am I right or wrong on this?

You are correct - a "miscut" book isn't square, and an "off-center" book has the back covered wrapped around the front, the front cover wrapped around the back, or the cover image is tilted (can be front to back, back to front, or a little of both).