• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAILS GAME

2,819 posts in this topic

Many of you know that Spidey 121 is one of may all-time favorite comics. But, I always felt the cover did not do justice to the story. Here is a draft of a cover recreation that I hope to have for Christmas. What do you think?

ASM121recreation.jpg

Please walk us through how you found the answers :popcorn:

What would we do without Wiki . . . :shy: Found most of the references there.

Gaiman's first work for DC was the Black Orchid (found in your garden, perhaps) mini-series.

The DC character Black Orchid first appeared in (June/July) 1973. I've seen both June and july listed as the correct month for this.

In June '73, Gwen Stacy died in ASM #121. She apparently bore 2 children with Norman Osborn: a son (Gabriel) and a daughter (Sarah).

Also in June 1973, the Mantis first appeared in Avengers #112. (You might find a Mantis in your garden). She has a son (Sequoia).

Gaiman's first work for DC was the Black Orchid (found in your garden, perhaps) mini-series.

The DC character Black Orchid first appeared in (June/July) 1973. I've seen both June and july listed as the correct month for this.

In June '73, Gwen Stacy died in ASM #121. She apparently bore 2 children with Norman Osborn: a son (Gabriel) and a daughter (Sarah).

had these nailed, but Orchid never had a child...sigh, so I was at the beginning again trying to figure it out...

Who are you having do the recreation?

Anthony Castrillo.

I mentioned my concept for an alternate cover to ASM 121 to him in passing recently while discussing a cover recreation he did for Spidey 122 and he liked it so much, he started drawing it!

I was planning on having DeeDee do a similar project for me some day because she draws a fantastic Gwen. Here is Anthony's 122 recreation [which I do not own unfortunately].

ASM122coverrecreation.jpg

Who are you having do the recreation?

Anthony Castrillo.

I mentioned my concept for an alternate cover to ASM 121 to him in passing recently while discussing a cover recreation he did for Spidey 122 and he liked it so much, he started drawing it!

I was planning on having DeeDee do a similar project for me some day because she draws a fantastic Gwen. Here is Anthony's 122 recreation [which I do not own unfortunately].

ASM122coverrecreation.jpg

Way cool.

That's really nice too. He draws a wicked looking Goblin. :cloud9:

That's what I told him too. I thought he captured the drama of the original cover [which I consider to be the finest bronze cover] and he avoided some clutter by leaving out the flying pumpkin bombs from the original.