• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAILS GAME

2,819 posts in this topic

Tell me everything you know about Bill Everett? Answer:

William "Bill" Everett, also known as William Blake (He was both named after and a direct descendant of William Blake [1]) and Everett Blake (born May 18, 1917, Cambridge, Massachusetts; died February 27, 1973) was a comic book writer-artist best known for creating Namor the Sub-Mariner and co-creating Daredevil for Marvel Comics.

Early life and career

After studying at Boston's Vesper George School of Art from 1934-35, Everett dropped out to begin freelancing in New York City. In 1939, during what's become known as the Golden Age of comic books, Everett co-created the character Amazing Man at Centaur Publications, working with company art director Lloyd Jacquet. Everett and other creators followed Jacquet to his new company Funnies, Inc., one of the first comic-book "packagers" that would create comics on demand for publishers. As Everett recalled, "I left Centaur with Lloyd Jacquet and another chap whose name as Max; I cannot remember his last name. Lloyd... had an idea that he wanted to start his own art service — to start a small organization to supply artwork and editorial material to publishers. ... He asked me to join him. He also asked Carl Burgos. So we were the nucleus...."[1] He added, "I don't know how to explain it, but I was still on a freelance basis. That was the agreement we had. The artists, including myself, at Funnies, worked on a freelance basis".[2]

[edit] Sub-Mariner

At Funnies, Inc., Everett created the Sub-Mariner for an aborted project, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1, a planned promotional comic to be given away in movie theaters. When plans changed, Everett used his character instead for Funnies, Inc.'s first client, pulp magazine publisher Martin Goodman. The original eight-page story was expanded by four pages for Marvel Comics #1 (Oct. 1939), the first publication of what Goodman would eventually call Timely Comics, the 1940s precursor of Marvel Comics. Everett's anti-hero proved a sudden success, quickly becoming one of Timely's top three characters, along with Carl Burgos' android superhero the Human Torch and Jack Kirby & Joe Simon's Captain America. Everett soon introduced such supporting characters as New York City policewoman Betty Dean, a steady companion and occasional love-interest, and Namor's cousin Namora.

Everett drew his star character in Sub-Mariner Comics, published first quarterly, then thrice-yearly and finally bimonthly, for issues #1-32 (Fall 1941 - June 1949).

[edit] Atlas Comics

Everett returned to the Sub-Mariner at Marvel's 1950s iteration, Atlas Comics. Like most superhero characters in the post-war era, Namor had faded in popularity, but after a nearly five-year hiatus briefly returned with Captain America and the Golden Age Human Torch in Young Men #24 (Dec. 1953), during Atlas' mid-1950s attempt at reviving superheroes. Everett drew the Sub-Mariner feature through Young Men #28 (June 1954) and Sub-Mariner Comics #33-42 (April 1954 - Oct. 1955), which outlasted the other two characters' features. During this time, Namora had her own spin-off series.

Everett also drew the features "Venus" and "Marvel Boy", as well as a large number of stories for Atlas' anthological horror-fantasy series. One such tale, "Zombie!", written by editor-in-chief Stan Lee and published in Menace #5, introduced the character Simon Garth, the Zombie, who in the 1970s would be plucked from this one-shot story to star in Marvel's black-and-white, horror-comics magazine Tales of the Zombie.

[edit] Marvel Comics

With writer-editor Lee, Everett co-created the Marvel superhero Daredevil who debuted in Daredevil Vol. 1, #1 (April 1964).[3] In an interview conducted by Marvel writer-editor and Everett's one-time roommate Roy Thomas, in what the latter recalled as either "late 1969 or in 1970", Everett said of Daredevil's creation five years earlier:

“ I must have called Stan, had some contact with him, I don't know why. I know we tried to do it on the phone. I know he had this idea for Daredevil; he thought he had an idea. ... With a long-distance phone call, it just wasn't coming out right, so I said, 'All right, I'll come down this weekend or something. I'll take a day off [from his job as art director of Eton Paper Corporation in Massachusetts] and come down to New York'. ... I did the one issue, but I found that I couldn't do it and handle my job, because it was a managerial job; I didn't get paid overtime but I was on an annual salary, so my time was not my own. I was putting in 14 or 15 hours a day at the plant and then to come home and try to do comics at night was just too much. And I didn't make deadlines — I just couldn't make them — so I just did the one issue and didn't do any more.[4] ”

Within two years, however, Everett began penciling for Marvel once again, first on the character the Hulk, in Tales to Astonish, initially over Kirby layouts, and on Doctor Strange in Strange Tales. Readers during this 1960s Silver Age of comic books also became acquainted with his Golden Age and 1950s stories in the comic books, which were reprinted first in the book The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer (Dial Press, 1965), and then in the comic books Fantasy Masterpieces, Marvel Super-Heroes and Marvel Tales.

Everett even returned to his enduring character, writing, penciling and inking Sub-Mariner #50-55 & 57 (June 1972 - Nov. 1972; Jan. 1973), with -script assists by Mike Friedrich on two issues; and #58 (Feb. 1973), co-written with Steve Gerber and co-penciled with Sam Kweskin. He also co-wrote and inked Sub-Mariner #59 (March 1973), plotted #60 (April 1973), and co-wrote, co-penciled (with fellow Golden Ager Win Mortimer) and co-inked #61 (Maqy 1973). His final efforts on the character he created were five pages of pencils (inked by fellow Golden Ager Fred Kida) that appeared posthumously in Super-Villain Team-Up #1 (Aug. 1975).

Prize: GS Defenders 1 :acclaim:

Trying again . . .

What Bill Everett story is reprinted in GS Defenders #1?

Answer: "Bird of Prey", reprinted from Sub-Mariner #41

I had no idea. That is a nice but accidental tie-in and is not the question that needs to be answered.

What is the name of Worldbest son?

Bill.

Prize - Defenders 8

:signfunny:

It wasn't meant to be.

One of the first contests Grails ran was guessing his daughter's name based on a clue in his post.

And this game is also based on one of Grail's earlier games...but not that one.