• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of McFarlane Spidey...

27 posts in this topic

Sweet!

Question: Is that a single drawing or is the Spidey "stat-ed" over the "300 300 300...."?

I would imagine a stat, and that would lower it, IMO. If it's a single drawing then, "Holy *spoon*!!!"

I agree with Kevin, though. #316 (and #312) is the best cover. #320 ain't too shabby either.

Definitely historic, but there are a number of other McSpidey covers I'd rather have. There just isn't much art to this piece. 316 and 312 would certainly top the list...but even 315, 317, 298, 299...303, 328...just off the top of my head...

Sweet!

Question: Is that a single drawing or is the Spidey "stat-ed" over the "300 300 300...."?

I would imagine a stat, and that would lower it, IMO. If it's a single drawing then, "Holy *spoon*!!!"

I agree with Kevin, though. #316 (and #312) is the best cover. #320 ain't too shabby either.

Pretty sure they are all stats ... remember reading that somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong ...

Sweet!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that only the drawing of Spidey himself was OA, and all the rest was stats. Not 100% on that though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sweet!

I seem to remeber reading somewhere that only the drawing of Spidey himself was OA, and all the rest was stats. Not 100% on that though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, the Spidey is original with the 300s being a stat. The stats were put on after the fact. Some local collector had it done back in the day. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sweet!

I seem to remeber reading somewhere that only the drawing of Spidey himself was OA, and all the rest was stats. Not 100% on that though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's what I meant. Spidey is OA and th 300s are stats.

Is anyone sure that it isn't all stats? Several of us have seen the OA for the Spidey drawing for the cover of #299 and were told that 300 was the same image just recolored black...

You can tell that the spidey is handdrawn by looking that the ink used,since it's inked unevenly...if It was even throughout then it'd be fake/stat ect...

Is anyone sure that it isn't all stats? Several of us have seen the OA for the Spidey drawing for the cover of #299 and were told that 300 was the same image just recolored black...

You can tell that the spidey is handdrawn by looking that the ink used,since it's inked unevenly...if It was even throughout then it'd be fake/stat ect...

It could still be a stat of #301 with just the black fill inked in by hand. gossip.gif

Even if that were true which it might be as long as it was Mcfarlane who inked it there would be some originality therefore some value. Not 70,000 like I said before. I would still pay 500 for a hand inked by Mcfarlane stat of a historic cover like that any day. That is considering that the only hand inked part would be the spiderman image.

Still...a far cry from $500 to $70000, wouldn't you say? And I think even the estimate of 40k is optimistic if Spidey is drawn and the rest is stat. It's a nice Spidey, but really not much to it...a rather small piece. I don't know if the history around that issue is enough to command that kind of premium. And just for the sake of conversation, suppose 300 and 301 were both drawn seperately by hand. Would 300 be that much more desirable than 301? Would either one really be worth more than just about any other "full art" cover?

Still...a far cry from $500 to $70000, wouldn't you say? And I think even the estimate of 40k is optimistic if Spidey is drawn and the rest is stat. It's a nice Spidey, but really not much to it...a rather small piece. I don't know if the history around that issue is enough to command that kind of premium. And just for the sake of conversation, suppose 300 and 301 were both drawn seperately by hand. Would 300 be that much more desirable than 301? Would either one really be worth more than just about any other "full art" cover?

I'd agree, there are some covers that I'd do what it would take to acquire but I wouldn't put 300 or 301 in that column. I own a great splash page from Spider-Man #1 and the true enjoyment of the piece is derived from all of the detail in the art and the mood it sets - I wouldn't derive that same enjoyment from the covers of 300 or 301

I'd agree, there are some covers that I'd do what it would take to acquire but I wouldn't put 300 or 301 in that column. I own a great splash page from Spider-Man #1 and the true enjoyment of the piece is derived from all of the detail in the art and the mood it sets - I wouldn't derive that same enjoyment from the covers of 300 or 301

Would love to see a scan of your splash page from Spider-Man # 1 hi.gif