• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto Comicon Fan Apreciation Event: the day after

1 post in this topic

So it's the day after, and I figured I'd start this thread to show the US residents on the board how the Toronto shows are.

Friday was the busiest day of the show (free admissions were available)

Saturday was less busy than Friday, but steady.

Sunday was even less busy.

I'll just be touching on the people that I personally met, as I didnt actually get to see everyone.

Texeira never showed up. Some flight problems apparently. No signed Ghost Rider for me. Garney wasn't there on Sunday because he had an early flight.

I had a chance to meet Dan Slott, the Avengers: Initiative writer. Nice guy as well. Talked a bit about plot developments in the book which pulled me in even more, and critiqued my pitch for a Captain America movie which I was thankful for.

Seeing and meeting Carmine Infantino was amazing. He was totally calling out to the good looking women that walked by as well, saying stuff like "Hey! You're gorgeous! You with that guy?" or, "You married?"

He's a funny guy.

The personal highlight for me was meeting Ron Garney. Why?

When I was first gettting into comics when I was a little child, the very first comics that I ever bought were Captain America comics from Waid and Garneys run at the end of vol. 1 from 444 to 454. I bought one or two issues and eventually loved it so much that I found the whole run. So it was amazing for me to meet the artist that essentially got me into comics and into Captain America.

Aside from making some sweet purchases and getting books signed/sketched on, I got some really nice sketches.

The Wolverine and Hulk sketches were for my girlfriend, and of course, the Cap sketches are all mine:

Francis Manupul - nice guy. Local artist. Did some work on WitchBlade.

th_36116_wolverine_sketch_122_1018lo.jpg

Aaron Lopresti - Ms. Marvel and Hulk artist. nice approachable guy.

th_36121_hulk_sketch_122_575lo.jpgth_36131_cap_lopresti_sketch_122_452lo.jpg

Dale Eaglesham - JSA artist. At first, I was just going to get some JSA books done, but when I saw the time and attention that he was giving the sketches that he was doing, I was instantly persuaded to get a sketch from him. Super nice guy and good conversationalist. He mentioned to me that he'd love to do a Captain America book or a Hulk book in the future. I love the sketch he did for me. Feels like a very silver-age/vintage look for Cap.

th_36143_cap_eaglesham_sketch_122_419lo.jpg

Ron Garney - aside from signing everything that I put in front of him and being an extremely nice guy, it was amazing to meet him and get a Cap sketch from him. He did some a amazing cover sketches on ASM #539, which I'm sure will be seen when they eventually come back from cgc.

th_36144_cap_garney_sketch_122_441lo.jpg

All in all, I had a great time helping out GothamCentral/Shockwave comics, and meeting the artists was great.

Any other people want to share their stories?