• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool comic buying experience!!

40 posts in this topic

I just have to tell someone about what just happened that may find the humor in it all. My wife of course gave me the "why are you wasting time doing that" look. I was meeting a local buyer at the gym we both go to in order to sell him a couple books. We are haggling about grade and price and this lady stops by and says she has "thousand of 12-15 cent comics at her house". The buyer and I can't get her name fast enough and try and get her card.

Turns out she lives a few blocks away and I suggest we go look at this "gold mine" right then. She agrees and the buyer and I follow her (the whole time debating if this is legit and how we are going to work out who gets what). She pulls out 7-8 long boxes of modern *spoon*! makepoint.gif We look through it and pull out a 9.2 - 9.4 Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 10 from the boxes. We gave her $5 each and she sold us the books. Of course both of us want the perfect #1!! He throws the "I'm your customer" and I throw the "lets flip for it" routine. He ends up paying me $5 for the rights to the #1 and I get the #10 for free. Not bad but I really wanted that #1 (it was nice!!).

Here is the crazy part. She says "I have a 1979 Pontiac Trans-Am that I would sell for $3,00. Its in great shape with just a little rust and 77,000 miles. She is the original owner and says it runs great. The car is black with original paint and a detachable roof and original everything. Nice big tires and a spare in back. Now its gone from a who gets to buy the comic fight to who gets to buy this car. The lady takes us for a test drive around the neighborhood going 50 MPH in the 25 zones and driving like a bat out of heck!! The car drives great and stops on a dime. All this for $3000??? What the catch?? We couldn't find one but the buyer and I agreed to check into it and split the cost/profits. I have found a few in good/ok shape going for $5,000 - $7,000 on e-bay - so this may be a no-brainer.

Anyone know something about muscle cars??

Thats all I got but the search for comics may have netted me a classic!!

Exactly!! How could she mistake $1.25 moderns for $0.15 comics?? Her story had so many holes but I went just in case. Another Mile-High collection may have been in her closet:) She was a little batty but things worked out ok.

Where where the thousands of 10-15 cents comics? confused.gif

Maybe she meant what they were actually worth, not cover price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd strongly recommend taking it to a mechanic to check it out and if that's not possible, find a friend with solid skills to come with you to inspect it. With all due respect, dropping 3k on a 28-year-old car without knowing what to look for makes as much sense as dropping thousands on a key funnybook without knowing what to look for, or what the FMV is.

sounds like she wanted a couple young strawng mens over to her place for a little slap-and-tickle. comics being the most likely bait to work, i guess

Have the mechanic lined up for later this week. I have to do some research but it looks like I might be buying the car if the mechanic gives it the ok. Can't beat a all-original muscle car that run great for $3,000 in my book.

And she did mention that we shouldn't try and "take advantage" of her. I thought she meant the comics but maybe she was throwing down a hint. Eww.

Thats the car!! Its not that cherry but thats it. It is the 6.6L engine but i have no idea about the trany (he, he I said trany). It is an automatic with a pop-top roof. It will be mine!!

Thats the car!! Its not that cherry but thats it. It is the 6.6L engine but i have no idea about the trany (he, he I said trany). It is an automatic with a pop-top roof. It will be mine!!

This might help... http://www.iwaynet.net/~gl&lisk/1977ta.html

If it's an SE (Y81) it could be very rare (<1% of production run). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Get the VIN off the thing and check it out.