• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams BATMAN #232 ORIGINAL ART, FIRST Ra's Al Ghul

23 posts in this topic

I wish I could have convinced the wife to let me bid on this piece:

Neal Adams BATMAN #232 ORIGINAL ART, FIRST Ra's Al Ghul

How high do you think it will go?

It got up over $13k the last time it was up....before it got pulled.

C

I missed it last time. What is the going rate for Adams' Batman pages?

Have any Neal Adams' Batman/Detective covers sold in the past year or two?

Sorry for the questions, but I am looking to start with an OA collection and Neal Adams is my favorite artist.

Sorry for the questions, but I am looking to start with an OA collection and Neal Adams is my favorite artist.

Panel pages from Batman...Pencils and Inks by Neal...with Batman on them will start at $5k for anything remotely nice and can go to 10k for primo panel pages.

Panel pages from Batman....inked by Giordano...also with Batman in costume on them...are $3500-4k for a run of the will page...and the top of the heap has hit $8k-8500.

Find something really nice from one of the big issues 232, 251, etc and throw out the "guide"

Covers have sold over the last couple years. Usually Detective sell more frequently and for less money than Batman covers. Batman covers are far harder to find and the best of them reside in very private, very permanent collections.

You will see a couple sales over the last couple of years for nicer Tec covers in the 25k range. There have been some covers with Bats on them that have sold for less, but they are the more mediocre, less memorable variety.

A good Tec cover will probably start at $22-25k and a good Batman cover will most likely start at $30 and escalate dramatically to the $50k range if you could ever find a 232 or 251.

Hope that helps...you can check Heritage Auctions too...for some past sales, although private sale numbers usually surpass public auction house prices.

Best,

Chris

For example...something like this will set you back a nice chunk of change. In the upper range of my Adams/Giordano estimate.

AdamsN_Batman243p2.jpg

For example...something like this will set you back a nice chunk of change. In the upper range of my Adams/Giordano estimate.

AdamsN_Batman243p2.jpg

Nice page - From my favorite Neal Adams story arc too!

Thanks for the other info as well.

this hurts my heart deeply to know. In the early 90's I passed up a page from 251 with the Joker in every panel, a huge close up of his face in the bottom right for $500. It was in a shop in South Jersey. I bought crappy comics instead. Maybe my dumbest comic move ever. sorry.gif

this hurts my heart deeply to know. In the early 90's I passed up a page from 251 with the Joker in every panel, a huge close up of his face in the bottom right for $500. It was in a shop in South Jersey. I bought crappy comics instead. Maybe my dumbest comic move ever. sorry.gif

It sure was thumbsup2.gif Don't worry,I'm sure your not the only one who's done something like that.

It sure was thumbsup2.gif Don't worry,I'm sure your not the only one who's done something like that.

Yup.

I once passed up a sweet Keith Pollard Thor cover. Thought $40 was too much money. tonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.gif

I'm pretty sure I could flip it now for a bit more than $40. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Uh...wow. Never thought it would go for this much:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Neal-Adams-BATMAN-23...1QQcmdZViewItem

I figured $20K at the absolute high end. Someone must be a biiiig fan of Ra's al-Ghul!

Ayre Carumba....that is more than most of the Adams 'Tec covers I have seen sell in the last couple years.

I guess the actual first appearance of a character = stooopid money.

WOW>

Chris

Hi All,

This is my first post but been reading the boards for a while.

And this last post regarding this page had me wondering how anyone could use the phrase "stooopid money"??

If you've got the bucks and a passion/love for this hobby I'm not sure that phrase would apply. Certainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't see that outlook coming from anyone that really loves comics.

Michael

Anyone notice that only two bidders went over 12.5k? It's possible there were a few people who bid higher only to find that they'd been outbid...but it's probably more likely that the price was driven up by two motivated buyers. In situations like this I have a hard time treating the final bid price as FMV. If he goes to move it in six months, and the second-highest bidder isn't around anymore, he might have a very hard time getting his money back.

Terrax: You're misunderstanding the use of the term "stoopid money". It's not being used in a, "That's just stupid" kind of way...more of an awestruck, "that's crazy = that's unbelievable" kind of way. Get it?

Terrax: You're misunderstanding the use of the term "stoopid money". It's not being used in a, "That's just stupid" kind of way...more of an awestruck, "that's crazy = that's unbelievable" kind of way. Get it?

I don't think he misunderstood at all... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Insane price. I was thinking $17-20K, tops. I don't think it will raise the prices across the board on Admas pages though. This was a unique page and probably would not sell again for this price anytime soon, if it were to come up for sale in the near future.

Hi All,

This is my first post but been reading the boards for a while.

And this last post regarding this page had me wondering how anyone could use the phrase "stooopid money"??

If you've got the bucks and a passion/love for this hobby I'm not sure that phrase would apply. Certainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't see that outlook coming from anyone that really loves comics.

Michael

Veterans of the Comic Art-List on yahoo would know that "Stooopid Money" was trademarked a long time ago by on Jon Mankuta (of the great art collection) for the price he would pay for certain pieces that meant alot to him.

That term has made its way into the collecting vernacular to represent when someone lays out multiples of what the expected selling price would be to get a piece.

It doesn't mean the buyer is stupid...it means he laid out an amount of money that defies the past market by a significant %. Most people in this strata of collecting are familiar with the term and know that it is not derogatory towards the parties involved. Sorry for the confusion......

Chris