• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade Spider-man #68 found in Stamford, CT

17 posts in this topic

There appears to be a color-breaking crease around 3/4" to 1" long in the lower-right corner, right under the hand of the guy holding the picket sign. If that is indeed on the book, I doubt it goes higher than 8.0.

I think your're being a little tough on a book as sharp and clean as this one is.

here is a zoom in on that spot

Is it a crease or isn't it? It looks about the same zoomed in...hard to tell from any sized scan sometimes what is and what isn't a defect. VF books typically are sharp and clean except for a few small defects...I was just giving an estimate for what CGC would give it based upon my experience with what they downgrade for.

thanks for your comments, but if this did not come back a 9.0 i'd be shocked. even the tiniest one stress mark on the upper right in the green is all that i see. i still don't see what you are refering to. glossy sharp white cover with a clean back.

are they following overstreet or just making up the rules.... this is a tough crowd for sure. shocked.gif

i still don't see what you are refering to. glossy sharp white cover with a clean back.

are they following overstreet or just making up the rules.... this is a tough crowd for sure.

Kinda sounds like you're getting emotional about the grading of this book...emotional attachment and grading don't mix very well. Is there a crease in the lower right or not? Only a person holding a book in their hands can absolutely tell whether a given defect exists. If you're saying the crease isn't there, then you're right, 9.0 or better seems quite reasonable.

i think i'll send it in just to keep it safe and secure.

WEBHEAD grin.gif

weeeelllll - -- there are opinions on the advisability of that too!

? The slabs aren't archival.

? damage can occur in the mails

? and, surprisingly, many have noticed damage to corners INSIDE the slab due to shifting in the slab with the comic hitting the plastic.

just a caution..... Putting it in a mylar sleeve with maybe an extra archival backing board and stacked securely at home is safe enough for me..and many others.

Are you expecting an answer to that question? confused-smiley-013.gif

If he really wants to know how it would grade...then yes, I was. I know I've stated the following at least a dozen times before, but I guess it can never be said enough...grading from a scan doesn't work unless the book's owner also includes a detailed list of defects.

Anybody with the ability to concentrate can find defects...the tough and debatable part comes when you're trying to assign a grade to a given set of defects. "What's the grade" threads should always be about grade assignment and NEVER about finding defects...you can't find many of types of defects on scans, even when they're HUGE ones at 600dpi or more.

i think i'll send it in just to keep it safe and secure.

WEBHEAD grin.gif

weeeelllll - -- there are opinions on the advisability of that too!

? The slabs aren't archival.

Not archival? Bite your tongue or the CGC police will take you away.

All of the materials used in the CGC holder are tested and proven to be archivally safe