• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Should EBay Do Regarding Auctions and Blackout?

6 posts in this topic

Finally managed to get into my computer after a day and a half...noticed Ebay hasn't changed the timing of any of the auctions I was following (or am I mistaken?) . Given that so many people were (and still are) without power, shouldn't Ebay be extending some of these auctions? I know as a Seller I'd like to see that, as a Buyer you may be able to win something for a better price.

One of the auctions I'm following is from a Seller from Cleveland - he's got a bunch of stuff up and no way to check his auctions or respond to email....you gotta feel for people in Cleveland. No electricity and no running water for days....

according to ebay policy they don't have to extend because the ebay server didn't go down? I don't think they extended auction after 9/11, just cleaned up all those distasteful auctions but no extensions.

I don't think there's any clear-cut scenario here where they win either way - by extending the auctions or by doing nothing. goodevil.gif So long as eBay was up and running (it was), all that happened is that an unquantifiable number of potential bidders couldn't bid, and certain sellers couldn't respond if they received any e-mail inquiries towards the close of their auction.

Seems to me like eBay's best bet is to do nothing.

according to ebay policy they don't have to extend because the ebay server didn't go down? I don't think they extended auction after 9/11, just cleaned up all those distasteful auctions but no extensions.

I don't think there's any clear-cut scenario here where they win either way - by extending the auctions or by doing nothing. goodevil.gif So long as eBay was up and running (it was), all that happened is that an unquantifiable number of potential bidders couldn't bid, and certain sellers couldn't respond if they received any e-mail inquiries towards the close of their auction.

Seems to me like eBay's best bet is to do nothing.

I have to agree. I live in Florida and get frequent electrical storms. I have lost many auctions at the last minute because of loss of power. I feel for the people who have been without power. I have lived in squalid conditions with no running water or electricity more than once. Of course I was in a combat zone at the time... But I digress. There wasnothing I could do about it and unfortunately I don't feel that they can either.

Gary