• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Lots Won at Estate Auction- Captain Marvels added

46 posts in this topic

Last Friday night, I won 4 separate lots of Golden Age comics at an Estate Auction. I didn't get a chance to get a great look at each lot before the auction started but had a general idea of what was in each box. I know very little about Golden Age comics. My collecting habits are basically bronze & copper age horror, ASM, Hulk, Bat-Man, & X-men. After the auction, My fiancé and I had a great time looking up each comic’s value and was pleasantly surprised by a few of them. It was the closest thing to finding a bunch of old comics in Grandma’s attic. It has been a lot of fun flipping through and enjoying the art and stories. I am officially a Jack Cole fan. I also love many of the Jungle Comics; especially Zoot and Jo-Jo. Box 3 ended up being the prize box for me.

Most of the comics were in fair to good condition although I am realizing now that condition is a little less strict in the Golden Age. I've put up a few up in the grade my comic forum. I think several have a shot at VG and maybe higher. None of these comics have been restored (as far as I can tell). They appear to be original owner comics (the name written on some of them was the name of the person whose estate it was) that were read quite a bit and probably stored together in a forgotten box somewhere. All of the issues are complete but many have corners (and sometimes chunks of the back cover) missing. Some have detached covers. I was really surprised by page quality however. Some of the books have pages with whiter pages than my bronze books, but you wouldn’t know it from the outside. The boxes were a good sampling of many genres: some superheroes (mainly Captain Marvel), a few horror, and a good amount of jungle comics. There are also quite a few anthology books, funny animal, and romance. Over the next couple days, I will post the contents of each box and scan the nicer comics:

Box 1

Jo-Jo Congo King 7, Ghostly Weird Stories 124, Jumbo Comics 106, Classic Comics Arabian Nights 1st, Zoot comics 8, Fight Comics 52, House of Mystery 6, Blackhawk 50, Rangers Comics 39, Blue Bolt V.4. #3, Wambi Jungle Boy 10, Feature Comics 110, Super Comics 88, Sparkling Stars 13, Blackstone Master Magician 2, Buster Brown 8, Target Comics V8 #12

I really like the jungle comics in this box. In case you are wondering, the Arabian Nights, HOM, and Blackhawk comics are in poor to fair condition. Complete but have major issues.

Jo-JoFront.jpg

ZootCover.jpg

Box 2

Comic Cavalcade 12 , Buck Rogers 6, Flash Comics 44, Real Screen Comics 77, Casper the Friendly Ghost 50 (Fine), Animal Fair 2, Nightmare Weird Horrors #10, Exciting Comics 49, Detective 159 (Poor), Hedy of Hollywood 44, Walt Disney Comic & Stories 129 131, Looney Tunes 48, Classics Illustrated Typee 36, The Funnies 9, True Sport #2

This was my most expensive box. There was one other bidder who was determined to get this one. I assume because of the Comic Cavalcade (now appearing in grade my comic forum). It is in nice shape as is the Casper. Exciting Comics and Buck Rogers are in the Fair to Good range. Flash 44 is definitely poor with a huge chunk of a corner gone. This did not end up being the best box, in my opinion. Box 3 was the prize……

CavalcadeF.jpg

Box 3 –

Plastic Man (nn)-Game of Death, Captain Marvel Adventures 33 49 53 75, Captain Marvel Jr. #14 X-mas, Shadow Comics V. 5 #9&10, Marvel Mystery Comics 77, Rocket Kelly 4, Modern Comics 47

Christy, my fiancé, was flipping through Overstreet’s on the way home from the auction. She was pretty excited about the Plastic Man. $419 in good condition. I’m not sure how this comic would grade out, though. It is intact and complete. The back cover looks great with no tears or chunks missing. The front cover looks good except, of course, for the tears at the staples. The book is still attached to the staples however. This is my favorite cover of the comics I won. Made me an instant Jack Cole fan.

Captain Marvel 75 cracks me up. Apparently he is battling some sinister yeast.

Marvel Mystery 77 looks great from the front. However, ½ of the back cover is missing.

Rocket Kelly 4 is probably the nicest book in the entire lot. I put it up in the Grade my Comic forum. I appreciate your input.

$35 for Box #3. Did I do well? One more box to go....

PlasticManCover.jpg

CaptainM75Front-1.jpg

MarvelMysterycover.jpg

The last box.....

Box 4 –Mostly Romance & Funny Animal

The Saint 1, Robin Hood Tales 11, Junior 9, Patsy & Her Pals 11, Jingle Jangle Comics 20, Diary Loves 11, The Katzenjammer Kids 7, Bugs Bunny 33, Meet Morton 1, Tip Top 88 & 109, Girls Love 56, Falling in Love 14, Dexter the Demon Vol. 1 #7, Walt Disney Comic & Stories 164, Punch & Judy Comics Vol. 2 #1, Roy Rogers & Trigger 112, Confessions of the Love Lorn 84, Happy Rabbit 42, HaHa Comics 22

Thankfully, The Saint and Robin Hood are the comics in the nicest condition in this box. This box was also $35.

SaintFront.jpg

RobinF.jpg

Box 3 –

Plastic Man (nn)-Game of Death, Captain Marvel Adventures 33 49 53 75, Captain Marvel Jr. #14 X-mas, Shadow Comics V. 5 #9&10, Marvel Mystery Comics 77, Rocket Kelly 4, Modern Comics 47

$35 for Box #3. Did I do well?

You made out like a bandit. That's how well you did 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I owned a copy of that years ago, and someone pointed out the particularly phallic chunk of yeast pointing at his face. I simply couldn't keep it after that. foreheadslap.gif

Box 3 –

You made out like a bandit. That's how well you did 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank you. Thank you. That is good to know. I will probably sell a few, trade a few, and keep my favorites. It has definitely increased my interest in the Golden Age.

I will post more scans (including Junior) tomorrow.

Box 3 –

Thank you. Thank you. That is good to know. I will probably sell a few, trade a few, and keep my favorites. It has definitely increased my interest in the Golden Age.

I will post more scans (including Junior) tomorrow.

Outstanding!! What a nice group of books! Great variety, cool stuff all the way around. And a fine bargain too.

I owned a copy of that years ago, and someone pointed out the particularly phallic chunk of yeast pointing at his face. I simply couldn't keep it after that.

Now THAT'S a yeast infection.

Jack

I owned a copy of that years ago, and someone pointed out the particularly phallic chunk of yeast pointing at his face. I simply couldn't keep it after that. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

jiminy christmas. what the heck was Beck thinking?

27_laughing.gif

Come on, you look up butts for a living! 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif