• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Issues on the Boards

254 posts in this topic

If that's all you're willing to do, you're a good-for-nothing, scum-sucking thief. So say they and all three of the other guys who pat each other on the back whenever one of them posts something saying that.

yeahok.gif

You can't do it, can you? You simply cannot have a discussion/debate without resorting to sweeping generalisation, inflamatory remarks, snide personal attacks, gross exaggerations and all-round pissyness.

If you weren't so shrill and strident, maybe more people would listen? Rather than getting right up peoples' noses, you might be able to educate them instead. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a stupid 893censored-thumb.gif thought...

I'd take you more seriously if you directed some of this at Brad (who is far better at it than I am, by the way) or any of the other people on the other side of the debate who do it constantly. But no, he's your pal and they're on the same side as you, so they get none of it.

Where is my "rolling eyes" graemlin?

Kinda, but that lot is in a class by themselves on the annoying scale. They are the "Burger King Collectors" -- they don't just want disclosure; they want it "their way," and ONLY their way. screwy.gif Answering truthfully when asked isn't good enough.

You lost me there, Scott. I thought that disclosure (re pressing, presumably) was entirely what they wanted. Whoever "they" are.

Nope, they don't want to have to ask about it. They want it plastered all over the book with a fancy "dry mount press" logo, regardless of whether a dry mount press was actually used to press the book. Now do you understand where I'm coming from?

Kinda, but that lot is in a class by themselves on the annoying scale. They are the "Burger King Collectors" -- they don't just want disclosure; they want it "their way," and ONLY their way. screwy.gif Answering truthfully when asked isn't good enough.

That's a complete and utter misrepresentation. But that's what we've come to expect from the angry one.

I'm the angry one? 27_laughing.gif Zip it or I'll get Bill P. to come here and mop up the floor with you again.

Nope, they don't want to have to ask about it. They want it plastered all over the book with a fancy "dry mount press" logo, regardless of whether a dry mount press was actually used to press the book. Now do you understand where I'm coming from?
9.8P

Hadn't thought about the STYLE of notification but one letter works for me.

It would then be a great way to start conversing about the book.

I think he's more the King Ramses type... confused-smiley-013.gif

yul1.jpg

Jim

Yul Brynner... hot cloud9.gif

for DeeDee

brynner52.jpg

Hilarious! Interestingly, that's how I see Brad when I read his posts. Only less tan, with a big old pot belly and that mug that looks like Oliver Stone. I'll bet he's got one of those jackets at home though. Sexxxy.

You lost me there, Scott. I thought that disclosure (re pressing, presumably) was entirely what they wanted. Whoever "they" are.

I don't think they're that militant about it yeahok.gif, but you're right, those guys really are demanding bastiches. tongue.gif

I don't think they're that militant about it yeahok.gif, but you're right, those guys really are demanding bastiches. tongue.gif

Go read the NOD Guidelines and then let me know what you think. The logo is mandatory, and no one should have to ask about pressing. And if you don't do it their way, you get raked over the coals on the CGC message boards by various NOD members. (Not all of them, but definitely the same ones over and over again.) That is what I mean when I say they don't just want disclosure, they want it "their way," and ONLY their way.

I don't mean to lump Dad&Sons, Brent, or even Steve Z. into that "overgeneralization" of NOD behavior, because those aren't the guys who do that. But they have chosen to join a group filled with other people who behave that way, and there is a risk of being "guilty by association" for people who aren't looking too closely.

Go read the NOD Guidelines and then let me know what you think. The logo is mandatory, and no one should have to ask about pressing. And if you don't do it their way, you get raked over the coals on the CGC message boards by various NOD members. (Not all of them, but definitely the same ones over and over again.) That is what I mean when I say they don't just want disclosure, they want it "their way," and ONLY their way.

I don't mean to lump Dad&Sons, Brent, or even Steve Z. into that "overgeneralization" of NOD behavior, because those aren't the guys who do that. But they have chosen to join a group filled with other people who behave that way, and there is a risk of being "guilty by association" for people who aren't looking too closely.

hey wait just a second.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I got nothin'... confused-smiley-013.gif please ...carry on.. tongue.gif

But the mental picture of some dude down in his basement, hovering over the family ironing board and pressing folds and creases out of his old comic books, is just kinda...pathetic, ain't it?

confused-smiley-013.gif

1764804-FlatIron.jpg

1764804-FlatIron.jpg.8fd7a9fa76ef052d6cbeb1e9ea21fa7d.jpg

But the mental picture of some dude down in his basement, hovering over the family ironing board and pressing folds and creases out of his old comic books, is just kinda...pathetic, ain't it?

confused-smiley-013.gif

1764804-FlatIron.jpg

Careful 893naughty-thumb.gif

The logo is mandatory, and no one should have to ask about pressing.

As I sat and ate lunch with the wife today I spoke about the recent goings on regarding pressing and disclosure. She asked the obvious questions everyone does when they are trying to understand all the dynamics surrounding the situation. I sat and stared at her insight regarding an issue we are all still trying to grapple with.

Her questions and comments ran the gamut and mirrored this boards. And I sat dumbfounded at her insight. And if ya dont believe me, call her and ask her. She will be happy to set us all straight.

Here is what I can remember, in no order

If an authority in the hobby does not feel pressing is restoration , why should anyone need to disclose it?

If there is nothing wrong with pressing then why dont people just say it?

Well if it cannot be detected, how can you prove, or disprove it?

Then that is why people want open disclosure? Why dont dealers disclose it then?

Oh,because there is money involved. Right

Dont people normally research a product before buying it? Be it a TV a Car or anything of value? And ask as many questions instead of just hoping for the best?

Well why dont they just ask the dealer if a book was pressed, and after awhile if people stop buying pressed books the dealers will change to suit the taste of the buyers.

But if the seller discloses the fact that the book was pressed , what is to stop the next person from not disclosing that information?

Is there any type of tracking system that could be put in place to help track the books as they change hands?

How much difference in price is there in disclosing versus not disclosing?

Well now I can see why dealers do not want to disclose this information freely , because there is no way to prevent it remaining disclosed once it leaves their shop.

If the buyer is too stupid to not research what it is he is buying, he should not care whether or not something he is buying turns out to not be what he thought down the road.

I thought buyer beware always applies, no matter what is for sale.

Selling pressed books and not disclosing it was done is not fraud. Selling somebody a pressed book after you tell them is wasn't, THAT is fraud.

Sounds like people are stuck, because even if a dealer tells you a book is not pressed. How does he know? HE may not have pressed it, but that does not mean it wasn't before he bought it? Right?

If people want to buy comic books they need to do the research and be prepared to not buy a book if the answer they get are not to their liking. Why is that so hard?

The logo is mandatory, and no one should have to ask about pressing.

As I sat and ate lunch with the wife today I spoke about the recent goings on regarding pressing and disclosure. She asked the obvious questions everyone does when they are trying to understand all the dynamics surrounding the situation. I sat and stared at her insight regarding an issue we are all still trying to grapple with.

Her questions and comments ran the gamut and mirrored this boards. And I sat dumbfounded at her insight. And if ya dont believe me, call her and ask her. She will be happy to set us all straight.

Here is what I can remember, in no order

If an authority in the hobby does not feel pressing is restoration , why should anyone need to disclose it?

If there is nothing wrong with pressing then why dont people just say it?

Well if it cannot be detected, how can you prove, or disprove it?

Then that is why people want open disclosure? Why dont dealers disclose it then?

Oh,because there is money involved. Right

Dont people normally research a product before buying it? Be it a TV a Car or anything of value? And ask as many questions instead of just hoping for the best?

Well why dont they just ask the dealer if a book was pressed, and after awhile if people stop buying pressed books the dealers will change to suit the taste of the buyers.

But if the seller discloses the fact that the book was pressed , what is to stop the next person from not disclosing that information?

Is there any type of tracking system that could be put in place to help track the books as they change hands?

How much difference in price is there in disclosing versus not disclosing?

Well now I can see why dealers do not want to disclose this information freely , because there is no way to prevent it remaining disclosed once it leaves their shop.

If the buyer is too stupid to not research what it is he is buying, he should not care whether or not something he is buying turns out to not be what he thought down the road.

I thought buyer beware always applies, no matter what is for sale.

Selling pressed books and not disclosing it was done is not fraud. Selling somebody a pressed book after you tell them is wasn't, THAT is fraud.

Sounds like people are stuck, because even if a dealer tells you a book is not pressed. How does he know? HE may not have pressed it, but that does not mean it wasn't before he bought it? Right?

If people want to buy comic books they need to do the research and be prepared to not buy a book if the answer they get are not to their liking. Why is that so hard?

i took your lead and talked to my wife about the issues. she seemed to give them a great deal of thought, and then her only question was why we liked to smell the comics so much.