• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Issues on the Boards

254 posts in this topic

What do you call a book that had subscription creases on the cover and then you send the book in to get the creases pressed out?

That's called pressing, correct?

Is this restoration?

Discuss...

All due respect, Grider... but someone with 1100 posts and a nick that refers to a comic book HAS to have already seen some of the threads about pressing and whether or not it's restoration...?

Are you just trying to get some goats or what? I recommend you do some homework regardless - do a search for threads with "press" or "pressing" in the title, then seek out the "Manufactured Gold" thread or visit this site for some pretty specific examples and discourse.

What do you call a book that had subscription creases on the cover and then you send the book in to get the creases pressed out?

A waste of money, not to mention a poor example if you're trying to make a point.

It's called a comic.

Correct?

Hey thanks Garth for enlightening me. Appreciate that. Not trying to get anyones "goat".

Flying Donut why is it a poor example?

Shouldn't that be disclosed on the CGC label as being pressed?

If not why?

I'm just asking a question. A... discussion if you will.

Its a poor example because I do not believe a pressing job that would be undetectable with a naked eye would get a subscription crease out. If you had sent one in with little spider creases down the side, that would be different.

That being said, the circular argument comes full circle as what we think is retoration on the book is moot, because CGC doesn't view pressing as restoration. Whatever we say here until our heads explode doesn't change that fact. Will the book come back as a blue label? Probably. Should the seller say "it was pressed"? Sure, but that statement and whether the book gets a blue label are two different and distinct things.

Is the "discussion" that a pressed book should be labeled as restored? That horse is dead. That's not going to happen.

I'm waiting for the mods to add "pressing" to the *spoon* list. It seems like we're never allowed to discuss it very long before getting locked down and silenced.

The day that happens, these boards will no longer be worth visiting. Seriously.

I'm waiting for the mods to add "pressing" to the *spoon* list. It seems like we're never allowed to discuss it very long before getting locked down and silenced.

It's getting to the point where any substantial discussion about a subject that inspires emotion from both sides of a debate is being silenced...and the more this happens, this Board becomes no better than the majority of comic related forums out there such as comicpriceguide.com...

Jim

It's getting to the point where any substantial discussion about a subject that inspires emotion from both sides of a debate is being silenced...and the more this happens, this Board becomes no better than the majority of comic related forums out there such as comicpriceguide.com...

Jim

Sad but true Jim, sad but true frown.gif

If I put the balls back into Eddie, is that restoration?

100_0645.jpg

Seriously, Eddie wants to know. If it's restoration he's going to get "put down" I just can't stand a resto-dog.

No, but I believe that's a form of "pressing".....

Its a poor example because I do not believe a pressing job that would be undetectable with a naked eye would get a subscription crease out. If you had sent one in with little spider creases down the side, that would be different.

That being said, the circular argument comes full circle as what we think is retoration on the book is moot, because CGC doesn't view pressing as restoration. Whatever we say here until our heads explode doesn't change that fact. Will the book come back as a blue label? Probably. Should the seller say "it was pressed"? Sure, but that statement and whether the book gets a blue label are two different and distinct things.

Is the "discussion" that a pressed book should be labeled as restored? That horse is dead. That's not going to happen.

It depends on whether the subscription crease breaks color. If it does, you can make it flatter, but the color loss will still be there. If it does not break color (in other words, if there is a subscription fold with no breaks/cracks in the ink layers), then you can usually remove it completely and anyone else looking at the book will never know it was there.

Seriously, Eddie wants to know. If it's restoration he's going to get "put down" I just can't stand a resto-dog.

Yes, pieces added tongue.gif

You want to break the bad news to Eddie, or shall I? Poor Eddie, he should know that Resto is not tolerated here.

Yes, pieces added tongue.gif

You want to break the bad news to Eddie, or shall I? Poor Eddie, he should know that Resto is not tolerated here. I guess he'll just have to die. tongue.gif