• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone post a pic of a framed cover w/book too?

27 posts in this topic

Sorry I'm late......Nice pics by the way! I really like the one with the cover beside it. It shows the "low-brows" what kind of work really goes into a comic! 27_laughing.gif

Hobby Lobby is A-OK as long as you double check them on their work. You just have to trust it's archival material (like anywhere) but you can follow through and check on the workmanship. Particularly tape. I've had an item come back with masking tape on them. 893whatthe.gif Anymore, I have mats cut with the outside dimensions at a standard size, buy the frame during a half price sale and do the work myself.

Something my wife got me to doing when I get items framed is to get a color laser copy of the final product (the cover or the page to be framed). It's amazing! I've got a couple that came from newsprint books and when you look at it, you would think you could feel the texture on the paper. The laser copy is indistinguishable from the original when placed behind glass and it saves the trouble of tracking down an issue to either frame or destroy in the process. I cut the cover off of a Captain America book to make a display, it was a cheap book, but it still hurts to cut a comic.

Archival matting is a must, as is UV glass. But I'm super paranoid, so I put my OA in mylar and put the OA and mylar in the frame. I originally thought that it would look funny or give it an odd glare, but it doesn't. It adds even more protection from UV and keeps any tape at all from ever touching the actual OA.

Here's some examples:

It's a Dave Hoover cover, but it has practically every Cap-related character imaginable. The cover with it is a laser copy.

CapCover.jpg

This is part of my "Cap Shrine" the item I wanted to point out is on the top right. I hacked a comic apart to get the cover and the page.

CapShrine2.jpg

This is part of my "Cap Shrine" the item I wanted to point out is on the top right. I hacked a comic apart to get the cover and the page.

CapShrine2.jpg

You must be a Cap guy;... after my own heart! Very Cool!

... by the way, maybe it depends on which hobby lobby but I would advise against ever using the one in Santa Fe. And, perhaps none of them. I have paid for archival and received the back of carboard packing boxes as backing boards. Masking tape instead of corner mounts... in my experience you get what you pay for; never again!!!!!!!!

Cost was really surprising...$58 plus tax. . . . .I'll post the results in a couple weeks when I get them back.

Where did you get it done?

The cost sounds about the same as I would be charged by a local chain called the Rag Shop. I'm debating bringing my pieces there, but because it is so cheap, I'm wondering if the pieces will get messed up by whomever they hired for minimum wage that week.

You must be a Cap guy;... after my own heart! Very Cool!

... by the way, maybe it depends on which hobby lobby but I would advise against ever using the one in Santa Fe. And, perhaps none of them. I have paid for archival and received the back of carboard packing boxes as backing boards. Masking tape instead of corner mounts... in my experience you get what you pay for; never again!!!!!!!!

CAP RULES! Or ruled....or something......

Anyway, yeah, Hobby Lobby can pull some shady stuff. I haven't had the problem of the backing boards, though....yikes!

It goes back to my other post, be paranoid, use the mylar bags and do the majority of the work yourself!

My HL is in Arkansas, by the way.

Cost was really surprising...$58 plus tax. . . . .I'll post the results in a couple weeks when I get them back.

Where did you get it done?

The cost sounds about the same as I would be charged by a local chain called the Rag Shop. I'm debating bringing my pieces there, but because it is so cheap, I'm wondering if the pieces will get messed up by whomever they hired for minimum wage that week.

It was Hobby Lobby. I can believe some of the horror stories as I had a slight delay with my Cover art frame. I got it back, took it home and then realized the dang frame was all scratched up about the same area on each side of the frame. I took it back and watched the lady reframe it. I'm glad I did, cause I had to remind her to swap out the glass for the UV glass on the new frame.

All and all, I say it's a decent option for the price, but make sure to be very detailed of what you want and double check with them when picking it up that the proper materials were used.