• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barcode and price box variants

2 posts in this topic

I was just going through my Amazing Spider-man collection to see which issues have pictures and which have barcodes in the barcode boxes. This raised some questions...

- When (which ASM issue) did they start with barcode box variants, and when did they stop? (Nowadays I only see barcodes, never any pictures)

- Are there always only two barcode box variants or are there more for certain issues?

- How can you tell if an issue is canadian? I have seen you talking about an ASM #252 canadian variant...

- When did they start with the 'diamond' price box variants? Is this variant always seen with a barcode or is it independent of the barcode box?

That's about it for now... hope someone can answer my questions. Thank you.

/Björn

I think....

..the difference between newstand and direct editions, and thus cover boxes, started with issue 165.

..the first picture-in-the-cover-box issue was 202, featuring a Spidey head.

..that some might consider the blank and diagonal-line cover box as variants. There are a few that refer to these as Whitman variants. They started with issue 173.

..for the most part, there are always two versions, a newstand version and a direct market version. For only a handful of issues, will you get more than 2 versions. An example would be ASM 292 with the 2nd print cover box, as well as ASM 330 second print.

..Canadian issues, generally speaking, are copies that only have a Canadian cover price. There are a few exceptions, such as ASM Annual 1.

..diamond price boxes began with issue 165 and it is not always seen with a barcode.

Hope this helps.