• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men #94 cgc 9.6....oh oh!

106 posts in this topic

And BronzeBruce has his name up there already..I can't stand these 10 days auctions though...they feel like they are never going to to end.This will go very high for this book,i never seen a copy even 5K like it is now. Kevin

I suppose it "seems" like I should hide my interest more often, but when I tried that for awhile I don't feel I nabbed books much/any cheaper... except that I received a ton of emails asking me if i saw the item or if I was bidding. I save myself an hour min. answerng emails if I just announce my interest (with a bid) on a key people know I want.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I HATE 10 day auction too.

I'm sorry to hear that Ideal has a customer for it... but I suspect it may be for the same guy bidding against me... whatever. Notice how Gene is actually agressively pursuing a "Plastic Funny Book" at this insane dollar amount 27_laughing.gif

I think there was a Heritage/eBay live auction copy that ended at $5750 and a recent Heritage San Diego offering that ended at $6600 with the juice...although i may not understand their process and that may be the same book? 15% on top of $5750 is $6612... anyone know if that's the same book?

Anyway... I laid off that copy expecting a current interested party to come strong for it... I can't lay down on all of them

It should be interesting... I'm glad I waited

I suppose it "seems" like I should hide my interest more often, but when I tried that for awhile I don't feel I nabbed books much/any cheaper... except that I received a ton of emails asking me if i saw the item or if I was bidding. I save myself an hour min. answerng emails if I just announce my interest (with a bid) on a key people know I want.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I HATE 10 day auction too.

I'm sorry to hear that Ideal has a customer for it... but I suspect it may be for the same guy bidding against me... whatever. Notice how Gene is actually agressively pursuing a "Plastic Funny Book" at this insane dollar amount 27_laughing.gif

I think there was a Heritage/eBay live auction copy that ended at $5750 and a recent Heritage San Diego offering that ended at $6600 with the juice...although i may not understand their process and that may be the same book? 15% on top of $5750 is $6612... anyone know if that's the same book?

Anyway... I laid off that copy expecting a current interested party to come strong for it... I can't lay down on all of them

It should be interesting... I'm glad I waited

I know you were looking for a X-men 94,I don't think you should hide yourself.I only mentioned you cause I wasn't surprised to see you on there.I'm not about to lay down 5K for a X-men 94,I'm not saying it's not worth it but it's not for me. How your silver age books coming along? Find a FF 13 in 9.4 yet? 27_laughing.gif Anyhow,This auction should sit still till near the end of it,I think people bidded that amount cause they got excited when they saw it...I wonder what a 9.8 X 94 would sell for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Kevin

P.S. I've got your X-men 94 9.6 right here X-men 94

Notice how Gene is actually agressively pursuing a "Plastic Funny Book" at this insane dollar amount

That's because my real investments have been doing so well lately that I could buy this book for less than the last week's worth of appreciation on my portfolio. blush.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Gene

But, don't fear Bruce...there's a few very nice original art pieces that I'm looking to acquire before the XM 94, so I doubt I'll blow my wad on this copy (would rather focus on true one-of-a-kind items rather than mass-produced stuff that comes up for sale at least a couple times a year). I'd probably be happy with a nice 9.4 copy at 1/3 the price anyway.

Besides, I'll be happy to purchase a nice XM 94 and other books from overextended collectors at distressed prices a few years from now. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Gene

Notice how Gene is actually agressively pursuing a "Plastic Funny Book" at this insane dollar amount

That's because my real investments have been doing so well lately that I could buy this book for less than the last week's worth of appreciation on my portfolio. blush.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Gene

..you've actually described a somewhat similar rationalization of mine (making profit selling books to justify paying more for others I want) as "throwing good money after bad"... now, isn't your rationale just a wee bit similar (especially knowing your firm stance on future CGC comic values)??

confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

BTW... are your current "gains" in the stock market really a postiive overall... or are they counterbalancing losses you may have absorbed over the last 2 years (like most everybody). If not, then I really do need to listen to your stock advice.

..and I'm not worried about you insane.gif

..you've actually described a somewhat similar rationalization of mine (making profit selling books to justify paying more for others I want) as "throwing good money after bad"... now, isn't your rationale just a wee bit similar (especially knowing your firm stance on future CGC comic values)??

For the record, I haven't bought a CGC book since that MF v. 2 #1 you sold me back in April! Yes, I really *am* waiting for the C-word that shall not be spoken. But, that doesn't mean I won't continue to spend *discretionary* income on selected comics and comic art. I still value my collection at zero for financial planning purposes even though, at last check, it was about the same size as yours (that's both comics & artwork) and has grown since then.

BTW... are your current "gains" in the stock market really a postiive overall... or are they counterbalancing losses you may have absorbed over the last 2 years (like most everybody). If not, then I really do need to listen to your stock advice.

Oh, it's all gravy, baby. I underperformed the indices when the market was going up (the firms I was with had strict employee trading policies that pretty much discouraged me from doing much trading at all) but have outperformed hugely the past 3 years (no down years) being mostly in cash & bonds. The firm I'm with now has a much looser employee trading policy and I have, knock wood, been en fuego lately.

However, I generally don't give out specific stock recommendations...you'll never get enough credit when your picks are right to outweigh the grief/guilt/lost friendships/etc. you'll suffer if your recommendations lose money. Besides, I'd say more than half of my stock picks turn out to be losers - the difference is, I cut my losses ruthlessly early and let my winners run on...and on...and on. I ask, will those with a heavily-vested interest in the comic market on the Boards have the discipline to cut-and-run like this if and when the market finally rolls over in a big way? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

Congrats on your $uccess! So lets hear your best offer on the 9.8 DD you really want stooges.gif

Query: can you call a purchase *discretionary* IF you enjoy owning the item and have hopes for gain, but aren't "relying" on it. If I understand you correctly, you personally can call it that because you acquired "additional resources" from stock purchases and "flipping" and that qualifies for the given definition... but if I acquire "additional resources" from comic purchases and "flipping"... I'm "spending good money after bad" ??? not sure I understand the difference.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I offered a scenario/rationale that you may feel characterizes my purchases as *discretionary* anyway ... remember my post a while back when I mentioned I replaced all the money I brought into comics in addition to owning all the books in my collection? I mentioned I felt like I could not lose no matter what because had I not started spending that cash on comics in the first place 3 years ago ... the money would have been lost essentially. I'd just have a nicer truck instead of my junker and my wife would have bought a few stupid "catalog" items to stick on the walls. To me, my comic funds/resources feel more like found money.. or Monopoly money that I can turn into "real green" l if I want. Its an odd feeling actually, but I'm not tired of it yet.

BTW... Your commissioned art habit is pretty cool. I like Brunner too. I was thinking of asking Herb Trimpe to redesign the cover of Hulk 180... (take a 2nd shot at it) with Wolverine smaller in the background as Hulk and Wendigo fight (similar to the way Wendigo is small in Hulk 181). You sent me a link to his website in which he advertises cover recreations, but I wonder if he'll accept a "creative assignment" for similar money where he'll have to submit thumbnails, I'll select a direction with some input, and then he'll render a final?? I'll have to ask.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You sent me a link to his website in which he advertises cover recreations, but I wonder if he'll accept a "creative assignment" for similar money where he'll have to submit thumbnails, I'll select a direction with some input, and then he'll render a final??

I think most artists will do what they can (within reason) to accommodate your artistic vision if you are footing the bill. You might be surprised how open a lot of artists are about their need to find work...I think I read that Trimpe was in dire financial straits a few years back.

Gene

Bruce,

I agree with you assessment of the bidding on the X Men 94...the price won't be reflected that much by early bidding.....if it's going to hit $6000 , it would have if it was a three day auction and people waited till the last second.

And good luck....that is a GREAT book......regradless that it's common or not.

BTW... Your commissioned art habit is pretty cool. I like Brunner too. I was thinking of asking Herb Trimpe to redesign the cover of Hulk 180... (take a 2nd shot at it) with Wolverine smaller in the background as Hulk and Wendigo fight (similar to the way Wendigo is small in Hulk 181). You sent me a link to his website in which he advertises cover recreations, but I wonder if he'll accept a "creative assignment" for similar money where he'll have to submit thumbnails, I'll select a direction with some input, and then he'll render a final?? I'll have to ask.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bruce, for my parents 30th anniversary this year, I had Norm Breyfogle (of Batman/Detective fame) do a portrait of me and my siblings. I had sent him a bunch of pictures and this is what he did:

Family%20Final%20Norm%20Breyfogle%200703.jpg" height="225" width="325

It worked out really well - he did everything to the letter as I had described and sent me a prelim too just so I could make sure that things were good.

You would be surprised - I got that for only $450 and it is 11*17 and is easily cover quality.

I am sure that Trimpe would be more than happy to do whatever you wanted.

Here's Norm's site if anyone is interested:

Norm

BTW - no luck with the movie yet, but as soon as it hits the VOD, I'll hook you up.

DAM

Bruce, for my parents 30th anniversary this year, I had Norm Breyfogle (of Batman/Detective fame) do a portrait of me and my siblings. I had sent him a bunch of pictures and this is what he did:

Family%20Final%20Norm%20Breyfogle%200703.jpg" height="225" width="325

Hell, for $450 I'll paint a red "X" in the corner of a blank canvas too! tongue.gif