• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men #94 cgc 9.6....oh oh!

106 posts in this topic

There were only 8 just a few days ago! It went up by 4 in this latest census update.

I think it was (9)... hmmmm. I wonder if the Heritage sale influenced a few walkthroughs 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think it was just 4 or 5 a few months ago... I must admit the # is rising quicker than I thought it would.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Valiantman? a history of X-men 94 in 9.6? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Wow, didn't realize that there were 12 XM #94 copies graded at 9.6 in the census...they seem to be slowly trickling in...

And that is why, to me at least, it seems highly illogical to pay that much money for this type of book now. There is a possiblity that there maybe be 50 NM+ copies in ten years. With 50 copies, do you really believe this book will still be a $5K book. I wouldn't.

If all of the 9.4 were resubmitted, and one out of every five was regraded as a 9.6, that would be 10 more right there.

Basically what I'm saying is that I just don't see why people spend this much money on books that really aren't rare. On the other hand, my wife doesn't understand why I spend $100's of dollars on "smelly" comic books. To each his own.

How many times have you seen a hard-to-find item you wanted suddenly become "no longer available for sale" because somebody struck a deal behind the scenes with the seller?

I understand you here. Why then did you not employ this technique and tempt the seller yourself? Before driving it up to $5K, while it's still piddling around $2 - 3K, PM the seller. He doesn't sell comics much or buy them either. I see one XMen print in his feedback that he sold. I'm just watching you and bruce fight it out. You 2 will rpobably be the only ones with enough desire to spend that much on it? The rest of the guys are just bidding to get in on the fun and don't have any intention of winning it. I oculd bid it up to 5K knowing you guys will outbid me, if I had a grudge or some reason to "punish" you ( I wouldn't but who knows if there is someone out there who doesn't like you or BB who would confused-smiley-013.gif)

With this in mind, I have PM'd sellers before to end auction early and I give them a fair offer well above the then current bid on ebay. If they say no, they know there is someone out there who will probably bid it up to the privately offered amount and will keep the auction running. And again I get to snipe at the end.

Or you and Bruce should have worked something out...

No prob... I have a sweet 9.6 White (best of 3 that I owned). Its just a book I can't find a dang 9.8 on... so an extra 9.6 might make me feel better? nah... I just like that cover. Seriously though, when one pops up and you like it, email me a reminder.

I'm still puzzled at the lack of 9.8 Iron Fists. (1) 9.8 and (0) 15's for '75-'77 series??? What's up with that? I'm tired of waiting for 9.8's on those 2.

I thought Lee (Blowout) was gonna come through on the #1 a while back. He was confident he had a few 9.8's... but nope. It's tougher than it looks.

Someone find me a 9.8 #1 and #15?? 893frustrated.gif

No prob... I have a sweet 9.6 White (best of 3 that I owned). Its just a book I can't find a dang 9.8 on... so an extra 9.6 might make me feel better? nah... I just like that cover. Seriously though, when one pops up and you like it, email me a reminder.

I'm still puzzled at the lack of 9.8 Iron Fists. (1) 9.8 and (0) 15's for '75-'77 series??? What's up with that? I'm tired of waiting for 9.8's on those 2.

I thought Lee (Blowout) was gonna come through on the #1 a while back. He was confident he had a few 9.8's... but nope. It's tougher than it looks.

Someone find me a 9.8 #1 and #15?? 893frustrated.gif

I've got a CGC 9.2 & 9.4 of IF 15 that are signed by Byrne, but the nicest copy I own right now is this.......

ironfist15.jpg

We're not fighting it out and would work something out if it was obvious we were both seriously committed to winning it, we've spoken... however there's at least one (maybe more) other serious contender(s) and the book is still 1K min. below where it will end up likely. If Gene really "had to have it" he'd let me know and I'd probably wait for another since it's his "Holy Grail" and since "scarctiy" just became less impressive with the census jump... We'll see what happens.

Basically what I'm saying is that I just don't see why people spend this much money on books that really aren't rare. On the other hand, my wife doesn't understand why I spend $100's of dollars on "smelly" comic books. To each his own.

893Funny-thumb.gif

So, out of curiousity, what does that do to the value in your opinion? How many 9.6s were there the last time you checked?

Like BB, I recall there were 9 (it had gone up by 1 in the last Census update). There's surely still way more demand than supply, although the higher the Census figure increases, the less likely people will be to pay stupid money for the book. And if a 9.8 copy shows up, that could put some pressure on the 9.6s as well. Never say never...we recently saw the 1st ASM 129 9.8 and DD 168 9.8, after all...who says we won't even see multiple 9.8s over time?

I'm just curious if you're going by the straight-up "multiple" formula to determine the value of CGCed books or if you can place some market value by analyzing the trends... or, god help us all, the books have some sentimental value?

Never go by straight-up multiple formulas!!! In my job, we use multiples to value companies for merger & acquisition transactions - however, I am fond of pointing out that clients don't pay us to do averaging and multiplication - they pay us for our expert judgment. Applying multiples to Guide values is a non-value adding exercise...I think Guide values are a joke anyway, so I go more by actual precedent sales in the context of a changing macro picture.

Also, I saw the latest CBG multiples...does anybody think that 9.6s really get 5.9x Guide if 9.4s get 4.5x Guide? For the vast majority of books, the spread is much wider...I don't know what's skewing the data, but the "average" they report is pretty much worthless.

As for the X-Men #94...that's always been my Holy Grail of comics. When I was 13, my friend who got me into collecting had a nice copy and always used to taunt me about it...guess you always want what you can't have (at that time, anyway). So, for me there is a sentimental component with that book. However, I'm in no hurry to get it...I'm worried that my collecting interest will collapse to zero once I have that book in hand, much as my interest in American football collapsed to zero after Denver finally won its first Super Bowl. The journey is often more fun than the destination... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

As for the X-Men #94...that's always been my Holy Grail of comics. When I was 13, my friend who got me into collecting had a nice copy and always used to taunt me about it...guess you always want what you can't have (at that time, anyway). So, for me there is a sentimental component with that book. However, I'm in no hurry to get it...I'm worried that my collecting interest will collapse to zero once I have that book in hand, much as my interest in American football collapsed to zero after Denver finally won its first Super Bowl. The journey is often more fun than the destination... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

Well then, buy it have it shipped here and I'll taunt you with it for several years. 27_laughing.gif

There were only 8 just a few days ago! It went up by 4 in this latest census update.

I think it was (9)... hmmmm. I wonder if the Heritage sale influenced a few walkthroughs 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think it was just 4 or 5 a few months ago... I must admit the # is rising quicker than I thought it would.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Valiantman? a history of X-men 94 in 9.6? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Submissions of X-Men 94 between 7/17/2003 and 7/30/2003:

20 submissions - (19 were universal)

X-Men 94 - (3.5 - 1)(4.0 - 1)(5.0 - 3)(6.5 - 3)(7.0 - 5)(7.5 - 2)(8.0 - 1)(9.0 - 4)(9.2 - -1)

Since I just started compiling with the 7/17 census... this is all the history I've got! frown.gif

Yes, that is a negative 1 on the 9.2 count.

Looks like a re-submit must have come back 9.0. Ouch.