• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for the variant collectors out there

8 posts in this topic

It has just come to my knowledge that there are variant Marvel Value Stamps out there. Were you aware of this.

Do you think this is as big a deal as the price variants, Keep in mind, many of these stamps were removed from the books so it may be quite difficult to assemble a complete run of the books. Thoughts?

Do you think this is as big a deal as the price variants

No, especially if we are talking CGC graded books.. the cover is all that matters. grin.gif

I can't say I have ever heard of this type of variant, do you have some examples you can show us?

The same MVS # was issued in up to 3 different Marvel titles so the BACK of the same stamp # is variant. Is this an example of how u define variant? 893blahblah.gif

My guess is that the variant stamps referred to are those described here:

varying stamp colors

However, I don't think this implies that a given issue would have some copies with a given stamp colored a certain way, and then otherwise identical issues with the stamps in a different color. I think the point is that a given stamp would appear in several different issues and you'd think it would be identical whether it was in TitleA #x or TitleB #y. However, this excellent website shows that the stamp colors varied quite a bit.

There may have been a variant of MVS #100, the last stamp. One was a question mark, the other was Galactus. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If I remember correctly, the # 100 with the question mark was actually a teaser when the Value Stamp program started up, and not a real stamp. I remember seeing it on the page when Marvel announced the whole program, and said that # 100 would only be in one book. And then they showed the # 100 stamp with the question mark to say, in essence, "nyah nyah, you don't know who's going to be on the last stamp."