• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collections that AREN'T Coming to Market Anytime Soon

26 posts in this topic

The other may actually happen soon. This guy has Batman 1-100, Supes 2-100 and hundreds or other books. He and his brother collected them as kids. One quirky thing is that they hated ad pages so the neatly trimmed every ad page out of each book.

893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Wow. I'm guessing they didn't take out the ads that would affect stories, that is, if the ad was on the other side of a page of a story page right. For a collector like me, those would be cool books to buy: incomplete, yet complete. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Would these receive 0.5 from CGC or Qualified grades?

I asked Steve that already and he said they would not get Qualified labels - all would be less than Good.

They DID NOT cut out ad pages if a story page was on one side. Phew!

The other may actually happen soon. This guy has Batman 1-100, Supes 2-100 and hundreds or other books. He and his brother collected them as kids. One quirky thing is that they hated ad pages so the neatly trimmed every ad page out of each book.

Wow. I'm guessing they didn't take out the ads that would affect stories, that is, if the ad was on the other side of a page of a story page right. For a collector like me, those would be cool books to buy: incomplete, yet complete. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Would these receive 0.5 from CGC or Qualified grades?

I asked Steve that already and he said they would not get Qualified labels - all would be less than Good.

I once had a Brave and the Bold 30 that was like that, no ads but complete otherwise. I think I would cry if I had Batman 1-100 like that though... crazy.gif

I am sure that there are hundreds if not thousands of collections that will not be coming on the market for many years to come.

Form what I have heard the Dentist's collection will end up with his son, so that may not see the light of day for 50 or more years.

Chuck has quite a personal collection that will likely stay on the farm for many years.

I am sure that the same can be said for many other dealers.

There are also many collectors in our 40-50's. I doubt that my collection will be going anywhere for 20+ years. While I don't put myself in the same category as the others, I do have a copy of most every Key Silver age book and many key Gold books as well.

Thanks for the info. Here's hoping you do land the deal 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Northwestern U was given a collection (or collections) of comics. It basically included a full run of low grade Marvels with all the keys. Nothing special really other than the volume of books. I think I was the only person to have read them in 2 years. I'm guessing that there are other charitable type organizations like schools and libraries that have been given collections like this that will never see the light of day.

I know U. of Texas in Austin has a killer WWI and WWII propaganda poster collection that is shown through out the library. At least those are displayed.

The Michigan State Library (Special Collections Dept.) has a massive collection that won't be sold anytime soon (if ever). They even have the ultra-rare Miracleman 3D Special (2D version). They and a board member here have the only copies I'm aware of.

I spent many a day in that library which is why I ended up having to goto ECU to graduate. I liked reading them but cringed everytime i pulled one out and it was cataloged.

I used to read a few of those comics myself, while my ex-wife was at class. I remember hearing that a lot of the comics were ripped off, in the beginning, because they'd let anyone rummage through them. Apparently, the collection had some big-dollar gold? Later, they tightened up and you had to bother a librarian. I remember reading Batman 42 and Showcase 17. That was great because it was the pre-Archives era. smile.gif

Oh, the Detroit Mike collection will hopefully stay off the market for at least 25 more years. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1774559-comics.jpg.010561e2bee94dc4ec35a87b9734f091.jpg

I've been working on a guy in Chicago for three years who has an original owner collection of DC, EC, and Atlas horror and war from about 1948-1960. Long, deep runs of all the war books, all the horror books, all the sci-fi books. NO super hero books at all. He has Showcase 1, 2, 3, 5. Where's the 4 and the 8? I ask. "Oh, that's the Flash, I didnt like the Flash." frustrated.gif

There are LOTS of collections out there.