• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Ebay improvements for shill bidders

24 posts in this topic

Ebay seems to want to mess up their auction business.

One of the reasons why I tend to list through my store and save auctions for "hot" items and what not.

[

Lots of pressure from the threaded boards on Ebay to change this stuff, lots and lots of phone calls...and most of us who sell, are bidders first. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the problem most here are worried about is a seller shilling his or her own auctions, which will now be impossible to detect if done intelligently by the seller. most of us could not care less about the seller's inability to detect thrill bids, sorry to say

I understand that, but before, you couldn't see what people were bidding on for auctions UNDER $200 either, you could see their names on the bidding list, but not their other bids, and not when the auction was over...at least this way, you can tell shills for bids UNDER $200...

I suppose most of my bidding is just going to stay under $200...on the bright side, I'll be able to aford more shoes...;)

But seriously, it seems that these changes are in response to all the pressure from bidders AND sellers...I see lots of posts on here about how horrid eBay sellers are...but we all know, it's the bad apples that stick out...and yes, there are unfortunately way too many....but the percentage of honest people is way higher...and lots of us, sell...to finance our bids;) I'm just going to keep making phone calls and writing letters...they must be noticing some changes, I know I sure have changed my bidding habits...otherwise they wouldn't be backing off even this much.

Just so you know, before eBay started all this bidder privacy garbage, you used to be able to see EVERYTHING a bidder was bidding on or has bid on under the advanced search function.

[Just so you know, before eBay started all this bidder privacy garbage, you used to be able to see EVERYTHING a bidder was bidding on or has bid on under the advanced search function.

You are right, and I knew...thanks for making that point, but I've been on Ebay a long time...and that's why it upset me so much when they started messing around, enough that I even went on one of their town meetings on the radio, spin doctors and all..

I've been on the Ebay comics chatboard for about 7 years, we found lots of shill bidders...lots of weird things, it's terrible that they are hiding ANYTHING...but I took this as a positive sign they were backing off a bit.

I like the sales on here, and I've been more than pleased by anything I've purchased from the VCC, or otherwise...very nice people here...but the choices just don't compare to what you can find on Ebay...and website purchases are great, but not all of us are looking to pay retail or over retail, especially if you are not a high grade collector.

Anyway...I don't want anyone to think I LIKED the original changes made in Jan, I didn't, I absolutely hated them...and I was quite vocal about it. I'm going to shut up now, and get some work done:) wink.gif LOVE the gremlins:) tonofbricks.gif

[Just so you know, before eBay started all this bidder privacy garbage, you used to be able to see EVERYTHING a bidder was bidding on or has bid on under the advanced search function.

You are right, and I knew...thanks for making that point, but I've been on Ebay a long time...and that's why it upset me so much when they started messing around, enough that I even went on one of their town meetings on the radio, spin doctors and all..

I've been on the Ebay comics chatboard for about 7 years, we found lots of shill bidders...lots of weird things, it's terrible that they are hiding ANYTHING...but I took this as a positive sign they were backing off a bit.

I like the sales on here, and I've been more than pleased by anything I've purchased from the VCC, or otherwise...very nice people here...but the choices just don't compare to what you can find on Ebay...and website purchases are great, but not all of us are looking to pay retail or over retail, especially if you are not a high grade collector.

Anyway...I don't want anyone to think I LIKED the original changes made in Jan, I didn't, I absolutely hated them...and I was quite vocal about it. I'm going to shut up now, and get some work done:) wink.gif LOVE the gremlins:) tonofbricks.gif

thumbsup2.gif I agree with you.