• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New age comic buyers market vis a vis Supply & Demand 101

11 posts in this topic

I did some surfing last night and came across an article Steven Fishler wrote for Metropolis customers entitled April 2002 MARKET REPORT:

http://pages.tias.com/2779/InventoryPage/1453219/1.html

6 months have passed since that article was released, and as the old saying goes, "plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose" (the more things change, the more they stay the same). Among the many interesting examples cited in this article, documenting the buying habits for a new breed of comic buyers, is an almost uncanny mentality that a comic, from no matter what period, has to be high-grade, NM, or else...

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have completed some EXTREMELY difficult GA runs in the 90's; I don't regret doing what I did because I'd be facing anywhere between a 250-800% increases in price if I had waited to purchase in todays comic market, even in the face of what appears to be a cyclical downturn trend. But one cannot deny that this new breed of high-grade collectors goes against what I would fashion a completist approach -- I know that's what I called it when I would tele-blast every dealer across North America with this list:

• I am looking for the following comic books. If you have any of these for
    sale please let me know.

Action Comics 4 to 8, 15, 19, 22, 25,29
    DareDevil Comics (Gleason) 11
    Suspense Comics 3
    Detective Comics 2 - 7, 10 to 21, 28, 29, 36, 37
    More Fun Comics 9 to 31
    New York World's Fair 1939
    Jumbo Comics 4 to 7
    Fantastic Comics 3
    Mystery Men Comics 4 to 9

Thank you.

It seems that this new breed of comic buyers also have done something different from previous buying habits of even the most avid and hard-core collectors - they have transgressed the boundaries of collecting preferences according to any specific era. A high-grade is a high-grade, is a high-grade... I suppose it doesn't matter whether its GA, SA, or BA -- I find this buyers habit extremely fascinating. The occurence of meeting a mutli-era collector is quite rare; even if a collection as such would be replete with high-grade, slabbed keys; this used to be a trait synonymous only with dealers. Despite the fact that I don't believe there will be enough supply to satisfy demand for a great many high-grade keys, I certainly think, despite this dogmatic insistence that a book must be NM, that the occurence of a 20 or 30-something having an interest in collecting high-grade GA books, in some ways, is a good thing for the hobby.

But I can't help but think that when the well runs dry, where will collectors turn to next? I know I would never part with any of my hyper-grade comics for any amount of money... and I'm sure many collectors share this "pride-of-ownership" mentalitly... so what happens when the demand far outweighs the supply? I can already envision a few high-grade collectors smacking their lips -- quit-it, your drooling all over these boards laugh.gif -- seriously, do you think that buyers would become frustrated with a multiple of guide approach to dealing with demand, and just start snatching up anything they find? Is this high-grade breed of collectors here to stay, or simply a marriage of convenience for dealers/collectors wanting to capitalize on margins never before seen in the comic market? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing for the hobby? What are your thoughts?

Even 12 yrs ago in Canada, there were collectors who would only by raw (pre-cgc) strict nm or better bks. They were such cherry-pickers that they would only be able to purchase 2 silver bk/yr. They would turn up their noses at Unrestored vfnm. Now prices of slabbed 9.4 up bks r so high, they r out of the mkt due to other priorities (such as paying down a mortgage & raising kids).

The only thing that I would add to what you said is that a NM 9.4 back then is really a best case scenario, CGC NM- 9.2 -- likely a VF+ 8.5 or VF/NM 9.0. At 2 books a year, how could any serious collector possibly keep your grading skills sharp enough to even know the difference between a VF or NM book? Taken at this level of understanding, they ought not have jumped ship, because even slabbed VF or better books could be had in todays market, in some cases at guide price, or even lower. shocked.gif

comicwiz: i would never say "never" with regards to selling my collections. everyone and everything has its price, and you definitely can't take these books with you. the long-term collectors will just patiently wait until the books they want come to market. we'll either buy your books from you or your kids someday - don't make the same mistake as edgar church. wink.gif

My children will be schooled in "hard-knox" before they even catch wind of their inheritance... and If that doesn't work, I'll consider taking them with me... grin.gif

After all, those CGC encaspulated books are probably maggot-proof!

Great for the hobby? Don't know. Great for me as primarily a seller of CGC 9.8s and up?...MOST DEFINITELY tongue.gif $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CHA & CHING!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here's to the elite high grade collector, not ashamed to ignore the doom and gloomers and expressing their cry of revolution with their wallets!!! As I've said before and also heard from other members, EVERYONE has their price. And your kid's (Your, applied in a general sense) prices will probably by one tenth of yours when they are looking to pay for your nursing home rent, because you spent so much time hoarding this collection, and not enough time instilling the importance of family togetherness, that they can only think of how fast to get rid of you and this collection and pay for your invalid without costing them a penny!!! tongue.gif

DARTHDIESEL, or should I call you booker t laugh.gif

And your kid's (Your, applied in a general sense) prices will probably by one tenth of yours when they are looking to pay for your nursing home rent

As pathetic as it may sound, that part of family plannng has already benn taken care of -- this way, when I'm ready to go into a home, I make that decision -- not my kids. By the time I'm looking at going into a home, a great chunk of the atom, platimun and golden age stuff will be well past the 100 year mark, and may seem appealing to a local museum. If not, then a trust fund, and I'l make sure to fill the round table with loads of heads of charity... this way a motion to sell for a good cause will prevail over the sale for the sake of material wealth.

Any rich dude could walk into a Metropolis comic shop and point out all the comics s/he wants; but only a true collector will tell you its the thrill of the hunt with which the passion for collecting is found.