• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many years does it take a CGC comic to turn to dust?

How many more years will it take for the Wolverine #181 to become brittle and start to crumble?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How many more years will it take for the Wolverine #181 to become brittle and start to crumble?

51 posts in this topic

The dead sea scrolls were 1000 years old and held up pretty well in jars out in a cave. I think the question has more to do with how the book is keep and less to do with the case itself.

So...should we be shoving our comics into jars then? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was thinking more in the lines of renting out a cave. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We might also want to start printing them on papyrus, animal hides, and thin copper plate.

The dead sea scrolls were 1000 years old and held up pretty well in jars out in a cave. I think the question has more to do with how the book is keep and less to do with the case itself.

The dead sea scrolls aren't made of ligneous groundwood pulp with alum rosin sizing. There's a big difference between the dead sea scrolls and a comic book printed on newsprint.

"ligneous groundwood pulp with alum rosin sizing" a.k.a. newsprint paper.

FFB, are you by any chance a lawyer? poke2.gif

Not all newsprint is made that way (which is why I highlighted the two aspects of the paper that cause it to be acidic instead of just saying "newsprint," which doesn't really say anything to anyone who doesn't know what comic book newsprint is made of), and you already know the answer to your question.

I guessed as much that it's a specific type of newsprint paper that's more likely to age faster due to its particular properties. BUT, in the spirit of the punchline, I glossed over that fact. Thanks for straightening me out. I expected it. To move on to the serious aspect:

In your phrasing, "ligneous groundwood pulp with alum rosin sizing", which element is the one that indicates this particular form of newsprint paper is acidic in nature? Is it the alum rosin part? or the ligneous groundwood part? From reading the foxing article, it seems that the alum rosin part is the one responsible for foxing because it adds the metallic element or is it the industrial printing process that adds the metallic part to the paper? I guess this has become a two-part question now.

The lignin is what breaks down during acid hydrolysis in paper. And alum rosin sizing is naturally acidic. So it is a "two-pronged attack" on the strength of the paper.

As for what causes foxing, I don't know. I have read a few articles about different people's theories (which I've posted in the Grading and Resto forum in the past), but they are so far over my head that I'd be talking out of my azz if I tried to pick a side.

What's that about a "two pronged attack" on some compromising situation on who's azz?

sorry I have selective reading....

In all honesty, if you want something to pass on to your great, great, great grandkids

become a coinee because I sure metals will make it just fine.

I might care if my grandkids have something (if I ever even see that day)

but past that who really cares.

All these storys are going to be duplicated on some computer some where

so the fact that your great grandkids own the cgc inclosed ashes of a AF15

isn't really going to mean that much is it?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have to say that is one of the most brilliant ads ever made. It totally made every kid I know want to go right out and buy a Tootsie Pop and figure out how many licks it took to get to the center. 27_laughing.gif

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lil' Kim reference in 3...2...1...

I have to say that is one of the most brilliant ads ever made. It totally made every kid I know want to go right out and buy a Tootsie Pop and figure out how many licks it took to get to the center. 27_laughing.gif

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

It sure did. Mr. Owl was full of *spoon*! It was alot more than 3.

That commercial mustve went on for a long time ...even I remember it when I was little.

Damn! I'm not that old! 893whatthe.gif

flowerred.gif

27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif
insane.gif

"How many licks does it take to get to the center..of the oh,oh,oh"

lol That's EXACTLY what I thought of when I saw this thread. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1778517-tootsie_pop.jpg

I know it dates me but... acclaim.gif

I think it dates me even more. What's the picture from?

Jack

Tootsie roll pop

My wife got me a great T-shirt with this on it, along with the classic line, not realizing more than a few women would make lewd comments about it. Needless to say, she's not too thrilled. I'm now forced to wear the Trix rabbit shirt when out in public.

It does feel a little disheartening thinking that well, make sure you sell all your comics before you die, or if you pass it down to your kids or grandkids, warn them to sell it all before it hits the ashes assuming these books do turn to ashes eventually.

I'm not saying damn it, I want my great great etc kids in 500 years to have my collection and now i can't, however it would be kind of cool making them possibly rich that way assuming my silver age books survived 500 years, and in my family that is. popcorn.gif

Obviously I'm just going to enjoy my lifetime. acclaim.gif But like i said it does feel a little disheartening, because my orignal intention into this hobby isn't to make a profit, even though it sure does feel nice knowing my collection is worth something. I just truly enjoy collecting comic books. I just love everything about it. The artwork. The hunt for a book etc. I would love to pass it down to my family before i die unless some horrible finiancial crisis occurs.

Are the comic books that come out today acid free? If they are then least that's promising for generations to come.