• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Smell A Scam...

59 posts in this topic

MCD...just wondering. Was the high bid on the second auction (the winner of Cutie Pie's) alot more than what he won the books for, or about the same? Thanks.

I don't really remember the exact numbers, but I believe it was quite a bit over the original sale & it did not reach the reserve. The original was also not a private auction, and again, I don't believe the Amazing Fantasy 15 was even mentioned or shown in the photo. The way I identified the lot from the 2 auctions was the Metal Men #1 that was on the top of the 1st auction, was also shown clearly in the 2nd. I was basing my bid on the early Spider-Mans that were visable, along with the Metal Men #1 & Showcase Metal Men. To make it clear, I did not bid because it did seem a little fishy.

I lost interest towards the very end when the lot broke $1000 & I believe it ended up in that range. If the AF 15 had been showing, or was mentioned, I think I would have stayed more interested. The "private auction" thing would have bothered me even more. Not sure why they would have started doing that.

Looks like we're starting to see some biddings on these prized babies, I'm curious how far this will go. Could this be too much of a good thing if these are for real or a huge scam. Please stay tune to this same comic(channel) and comic(time) insane.gifgossip.gif

I'll email her and ask if I can come to inspect the books as she's in Baltimore. We'll see, grasshopper.

Donut, if you tell her you have a bunch of associates who would be interested in bidding on her books if they are legit, she'd be stupid (or outed as a crook) to decline your offer. And if they're for real can we assume that you'll snap them all up?

wink.gif

Assume for a moment that these books are really.

What makes you (or anyone else) not suspect that they have been restored.

Hulk #181

Heritage Hulk #181

Notice how the 25 cent amounts line up on the left hand side, yet in the Hulk #181 for sale, a lot more of the Hulk's elbow is missing than in Heritage's copy.

Hello! Looks like it's trimmed to me. And the bag and board look way too big for the book.

Do a little research and the FF #1 looks like it is also trimmed. Once again, the right side looks cut and the bag is oversized for the board and book.

Good Luck!!!!!

I think they are scams but don't know about the trimming. You can see that the Hulk in her eBay auction is miswrapped and that the 25 cent mark doesn't actually line up to the left side of the book like the Heritage copy does. The back cover is actually wrapped around to the front and pushed the cover graphics further to the right.

The bag and board do look way too big for the book.......but it's to such an extreme that it suggests to me it's in a golden age or magazine sized mylar with backing board. confused-smiley-013.gif

On top of all the other damning evidence, I just don't buy the notion that anyone with half a brain would auction such books using an account with feedback of 5... it's so odd that it almost suggests a legitimate, albeit naive, seller.

I would give this a pass for sure...

On top of all the other damning evidence, I just don't buy the notion that anyone with half a brain would auction such books using an account with feedback of 5... it's so odd that it almost suggests a legitimate, albeit naive, seller.

I would give this a pass for sure...

I think some scammers are actually using this as one of their tactics though. They act like a new seller that doesn't realize what they are selling and list a bunch of expensive key books. This then brings out the greed in people and they get suckered into thinking they can dupe this seller out of her books for a song......(why am I talking like an old time gangster? confused.gif)

I'd like to see if Donut gets a visit.

If she says no to the visit, it doesn't prove anything. As a woman, I'm always wary when men want to meet me in person to give them an auction item. It's far safer for me to just mail the item (or in this case, send scans) than to risk meeting a stranger.

In the past, when guys really push for an in person exchange, I've left the winning item at my local comic shop and have the buyer pick it up from the owner. I just don't have any wish to put myself in unnecessary danger over an ebay sale.

-- Joanna

Look at the ASM #1 top right corner.

What the Hell is That!!!!!

What the??.......I'm not sure what's going on there?

It looks to me that the upper right corner (above the crease) is actually a little cleaner than the rest of the book........like it was a piece added onto the book or it was color touched. confused-smiley-013.gif

If she says no to the visit, it doesn't prove anything. As a woman, I'm always wary when men want to meet me in person to give them an auction item. It's far safer for me to just mail the item (or in this case, send scans) than to risk meeting a stranger.

In the past, when guys really push for an in person exchange, I've left the winning item at my local comic shop and have the buyer pick it up from the owner. I just don't have any wish to put myself in unnecessary danger over an ebay sale.

-- Joanna

The person (I think its a guy) emailed me and asked for my phone numbers. I'd happily meet the person in a public place to alleviate any of their concerns.

-- Joanna

Hi Joanna...

Between you and me, I'm betting this is a GUY who is just using that seller name to give the impression of naivete (did I spell that right?).

That FF looks sweet though...too good to be true? Probably

not yet. "evil laughter".

Suffice to say that he's a newbie, doesn't really "get" eBay and will be showing me the books on Sunday. I have to get my official Joe_Collector "gypsy, tramp and thief" hat. The books are for real. I'm not sure if they're restored or not, but they're for real.