• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Smell A Scam...

59 posts in this topic

I have to get my official Joe_Collector "gypsy, tramp and thief" hat. The books are for real. I'm not sure if they're restored or not, but they're for real.

Brilliant. If I was dead, I'd be rolling non-stop in my grave. I can't wait to hear the conclusion of this story. My gut's telling me I'm gonna have a heart attack.

Why the H can't people insert a scan vertically ?? Man, there's nothing I dislike more than having to krimp my neck to look at some picture !!!

( Oh well , back to turning my monitor on end ) 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Otis! Wait'll Otis sees us - he LOVES us! ... Oh, sh*t - we're the only low-grade collectors in here... these guys are gonna kill us...!

Do you mind if we dance with your dates?

"What's your major?"

"Primitive cultures..." 27_laughing.gif

Bugaboo:

What the hell is that in the upper-right hand corner of the Spiderman 1

Moisture damage.

If you look closely, none of these books really look to be above a solid VG/FN although it is difficult to acheive focus through the bags and at the focal aspect in which the seller presented the images.

The sharpest Silver age book of the entire batch appears to be the DD 2, Avengers 2, Spiderman 3, possibly solid fines though still 80% assurity 20% guesswork.

The good part of his auctions in his favor for them NOT being a scam is that I don't recall ever seeing any of these issues being characteristic of other Ebay past offerings from any sellers, although that still doesn't mean anything because they could be images of someone else's books.

My opinion on the overall validity of the seller based on what I've noted...

55/45 legit, the scale tipped slightly in favor of his being real, if that helps anyone here considering bids on any of the items.

I would bet that all (or atleast most) of these books have some restoration.

There is just something not quite right with a few of them (ASM #1, DD #1 and FF #1, for starters). blush.gif

I would NEVER bid on these books since I learned that CGC is the only way to go when it comes to expensive books. Even reputable dealers accidentally sell RESTORED books. 893whatthe.gif

Remember a few weeks ago, Bob Storm said that he bought a Hulk #181 from a dealer at Wizard World Chicago and had it CGC'd right there. The book came back restored (small color touch). Now if Bob Storm can't easily see restoration on a book in person, what makes you think you are going to see it in a scan. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plus, if you win the book and then find out it is Restored, do you really believe this seller is going to give you a refund three weeks later after you get the Purple label from CGC. flamed.gif

Everyone is so afraid of missing a good deal that they are willing to take a HIGH RISK. Seems crazy to me. insane.gif

Good Luck.

Plus, if you win the book and then find out it is Restored, do you really believe this seller is going to give you a refund three weeks later after you get the Purple label from CGC. flamed.gif

From the "Sellers Payment Instructions" on the auctions:

No refunds.

Yes, I believe that if a book is found to be restored by CGC or any other competant company that offers opinions and certificates (Sue Ciconne, CGG, etc.), the buyer should be able to exercise his perogative to return the defective item without time limit constraints.

I also know that there are dealers who will honor that train of thought and conduct business in that manner. To put down sellers that have the no-time-limit restoration guarantee on their items, is lunacy.

not yet. "evil laughter".

Suffice to say that he's a newbie, doesn't really "get" eBay and will be showing me the books on Sunday. I have to get my official Joe_Collector "gypsy, tramp and thief" hat. The books are for real. I'm not sure if they're restored or not, but they're for real.

So what happened. I know that the auctions have finished now, but I'm curious what your opinion was.

not yet. "evil laughter".

Suffice to say that he's a newbie, doesn't really "get" eBay and will be showing me the books on Sunday. I have to get my official Joe_Collector "gypsy, tramp and thief" hat. The books are for real. I'm not sure if they're restored or not, but they're for real.

So what happened. I know that the auctions have finished now, but I'm curious what your opinion was.

For curiosity sake this is how some of them ended..... 893whatthe.gif

X-Men #'s 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10! Beautiful!

Amazing prices for the circumstances - low feedback, no refunds, no actual grade assigned in the description, seller's identities kept private, etc. Maybe someone could do a follow-up on this in a few weeks to see how the feedback turns out on these auctions. I would, but my memory's gone. Now what was I doing, and where are my pants??

grin.gif