• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 25 Sci-fi from the past 25 years

84 posts in this topic

Fifth element is the bomb! What a great movie.

I also adore The Fifth Element, it is one of those rare films that has an incredible replay value, everytime it pops up on cable/tv, it is one of those films I decide to watch all the way through. Just like when the action film The Long Kiss Goodnight (very under-rated action movie imho) pops up on tv/cable (and I know TLKG is constantly re-run on those "super-station" type channels, or cable stations like FX), I just have this desire to watch it all the way through, whether I have seen it once, twice, thrice, or more in the last 12 months.

What are these *spoon* at Entertainment Weekly smoking? "Doctor Who" befind "Futurama", "Quantam Leap" and the comedy classic "Firefly"? And don't get me started on that piece of *spoon* "The Matrix." Then there is another comedy classic "Total Recall". This list was obviously made by someone who road the short bus to school.

sign-rantpost.gif

This list was obviously made by someone who road the short bus to school.

There is something ironic about this post 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

You may be write... 27_laughing.gif

What are these *spoon* at Entertainment Weekly smoking? "Doctor Who" befind "Futurama", "Quantam Leap" and the comedy classic "Firefly"? And don't get me started on that piece of *spoon* "The Matrix." Then there is another comedy classic "Total Recall". This list was obviously made by someone who road the short bus to school.

sign-rantpost.gif

The only reason why I'm not arguing about Doctor Who being so far down the list is because the classic Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker episodes are not included within the past 25 years.

No Star Trek: DS9?

Well, there goes all credibility for that list.

No Babylon 5 either. screwy.gif

Go to www.rifftrax.com and download the commentary for "The Matrix". It explains every problem with the film and makes you laugh.

Well I always tell my "Matrix" adoring friends to check out the Doctor Who episode titled "Deadly Assassin (1976)". I believe this was the first time where the idea of a computational matrix was explored (Doctor vs. the Master).

Here's a link to a 2 minute trailer someone put together on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHvOOaJn7c

All that controversy surrounding Bush outlawing stem cell research, and no Gattaca on the list?

Bush didn't outlaw research, just limited to stem cell branches already out there and didn't fund it with public money. Private companies are doing research.

I'm really surprised Robocop isn't on there. It's my all time favorite movie so I'm jaded a little. But if you have Verhoven's Total Recall and Starship Troopers, this should be up there. I was 15 when it was released and I really enjoyed the unique blend of future, violence, humor, more violence, music (it was nominated for best music at the Grammy's), custumes (it was nominated for best costume at the Grammy's) and special effects. Although the special effects weren't anything new (stop motion animation), it did win the Academy for best visual effects. I think the design of Robocop (by Rob Bottin) combined with the overall plot of the movie and music (Basil Poleduros) is what I enjoyed most and the reason I've seen it 60 times (but who's counting).

One work nobody mentioned yet in this thread that was my favorite sci-fi around a few years ago is Farscape. This is one of the absolute-best sci-fi television series ever created; I was reminded of it when I looked at the list of past winners of the Saturn sci-fi awards, which were just picked this week (info about the awards can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Award ). I noticed they picked Farscape as best syndicated sci-fi television series from 2000 to 2002, which I agree with wholeheartedly. The design of the characters, costumes, and sets on that show were absolutely fantastic, the creativity of the stories was really good, the action was superb, and the actors were very likable.

If you've never seen this show and are a fan of sci-fi, pick up the first season on DVD. It's really enjoyable. Definitely in the all-time top 10 of sci-fi on television. I enjoy Firefly, but Farscape is better, mostly because of the creativity of Jim Henson's studios in creating cool and bizarre alien concepts and costumes. I was always amazed at what they were able to do within the limited budget of a syndicated television series.

One work nobody mentioned yet in this thread that was my favorite sci-fi around a few years ago is Farscape. This is one of the absolute-best sci-fi television series ever created; I was reminded of it when I looked at the list of past winners of the Saturn sci-fi awards, which were just picked this week (info about the awards can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Award ). I noticed they picked Farscape as best syndicated sci-fi television series from 2000 to 2002, which I agree with wholeheartedly. The design of the characters, costumes, and sets on that show were absolutely fantastic, the creativity of the stories was really good, the action was superb, and the actors were very likable.

If you've never seen this show and are a fan of sci-fi, pick up the first season on DVD. It's really enjoyable. Definitely in the all-time top 10 of sci-fi on television. I enjoy Firefly, but Farscape is better, mostly because of the creativity of Jim Henson's studios in creating cool and bizarre alien concepts and costumes. I was always amazed at what they were able to do within the limited budget of a syndicated television series.

I am a voter for the Saturn Awards. acclaim.gif

I would have like to see Lexx up there, but maybe in a top 100 list.

I watched the first couple episodes of the Lexx, but never watched any after that. confused-smiley-013.gif

You know, I was thinking Cube should be up there as well. Great low-budget movie.