• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 25 Sci-fi from the past 25 years

84 posts in this topic

All that controversy surrounding Bush outlawing stem cell research, and no Gattaca on the list? It wasn't a highly entertaining sci-fi film, but it was extremely compelling social conjecture about the dangers of genetic engineering. I think I'll end up watching that film another few times over the next decade or two as scientists progress in their ability to filter out genetic abnormalities from children before they're born...although I did enjoy Total Recall quite a bit, I can't fathom it making that list and Gattaca not.

I agree with Matrix being #1. Screenplay, direction, innovativeness, jaw-dropping action...EVERYTHING came together in that film. I couldn't have been more impressed with what the Wachowskis did, and for years I've been saying it's the best sci-fi film of the 1990s. I don't think I've ever seen a film with more complex meaning conveyed through visual composition, dialogue, and plot than the Matrix with SUCH a visually emotional and impressive layer of action piled on top of it. You could easily ignore the theme of the film and totally get off on the action, which I suppose is what 90% of us do anyway, including myself most of the times I've re-watched it. To fully absorb the subtext takes multiple viewings, which is almost always true of well-crafted films, novels, poems, plays, or any narrative work.

I agree with the Matrix being in the No. 1 position. I'm also glad to see my favorite Sci-Fi show "Doctor Who" make the list. headbang.gif

Jeepers!!!..."Darkworld", "Gattica" and "Johnny Darko" just to name a few blew away several of those on your list...IMHO.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yeah..."Alien" should be very close to the top... makepoint.gif

Jeepers!!!..."Darkworld", "Gattica" and "Johnny Darko" just to name a few blew away several of those on your list...IMHO.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Except Alien wasn't released in the past 25 years. gossip.gif

Except Alien wasn't released in the past 25 years. gossip.gif

Wow!!!...I'm old.... insane.gif

I can't see Children of Men on this list either. It is not really sci-fi to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

It wasn't entertaining, but it was highly thought-provoking--I'm guessing your concept of sci-fi is that it includes lots of action or visual effects. I think of films like this as literary science-fiction, i.e. they're going more for some kind of social commentary or thematic idea than for a popcorn flick.

Which is why Brazil is deservedly in this list! thumbsup2.gif

I'm kinda surprised they lumped TV with Films. That eliminates a lot in each that was left off the list.

Fifth Element

Robocop

Men In Black

Event Horizon

Armageddon

Stargate

Babylon 5

Star Trek: Voyager/Enterprise/Deep Space Nine

Sliders

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis

Dark Angel

Threshold

I'm kinda surprised they lumped TV with Films. That eliminates a lot in each that was left off the list.

Fifth Element

Robocop

Men In Black

Event Horizon

Armageddon

Stargate

Babylon 5

Star Trek: Voyager/Enterprise/Deep Space Nine

Sliders

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis

Dark Angel

Threshold

Sliders cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

oh wait, you are not talking about the White Castle burgers, are you? 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

Event Horizon was great, but I would lean toward calling it a horror movie despite the space setting.

Isn't that what the Alien movies were too?

My personal favorite is well over 25 years old I think its now like 52 or so. Its the Day the Earth Stood Still. I saw it on TBS as a kid. A sci-fi classic. Anyone remember the password to shut off the Android. And no I am not like 70. frown.gif

Klaatu barada nikto