• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing question

7 posts in this topic

I just bought a frame for my OA. But the art is just a tad big for the frame. Is it okay to trim the edges or is that a big no-no? Trimming will not damage the art itself.

Just wondering before I make any major mistakes.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, I wouldn't trim the art, I'd spend the $20 and get a new frame. Many people don't buy damaged pages that have trimmed edges or cut corners.

On the other hand, I'd say, if the art was cheap (really, really cheap, like $5) and the frame was really, really expensive, you might consider it. The only problem with this is that the price of art has a sneaky way of appreciating, while the cost of a frame is somewhat constant.

Recently on eBay, I saw a John Byrne FF panel page with a big $35 written on the back in red crayon. When I saw it, with a few days left before the auction ended, the page was up to $300. So, if you don't have to, it doesn't really make sense to cut the page.

However, it is yours, and you can do what you want with it. Congratulations!

I have no problem with trimmed pages as long as the art isn't affected. I had to trim my marvel zombies page oh so slightly across the top to get it to fit in the frame I got for it (and I couldn't get a different frame cause I had other exact matching frames). If you come across an awesome page from your most favorite book, and it's trimmed, would YOU not buy it? Of course not. My most favorite book is Daredevil #111 (First appearance of Silver Samurai). Recently a nice action page (page 10) from that book came up for sale and it was only $200!! Was it trimmed? yes. Did I buy it? I bought the hell out of it and I couldn't be happier! If it was $800 would I have bought it? You bet.

While I wouldn't trim a piece myself, I have no problems buying trimmed pieces as long as the art itself hasn't been trimmed so that I could frame or mat close to the panel edges, thus hiding the trimming. Heck nearly all of the 80s art was trimmed.