• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shrink wrapped books

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed that books in some types of shrink wrap usually get lower grades when submitted to CGC? I have.

It seems to me that, books that have been shrink wrapped in plastic with the seal at the back (instead of sealed at the top) get a crease right down the middle of the back cover. These are mostly in books from 1990's and higher (although I do not have any date specific information). The books sealed in the 70' and 80's were mostly sealed at the top, so they aren't affected by this problem.

I am not certain if this is caused after an extended period of being in the bags or if it is done at the point of manufacturing. What I do know is, a number of books that I have submitted as 9.8's (what I thought anyways) are coming back mostly around 9.2 with all the same problem, a crease right down the middle of the back cover. Caused by the plastic shrinkwrap.

Any thoughts??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe that is why so many polybagged Spider-Man #1's are grading out at 8.5 to 9.2 (probably the most common polybag out there). I thought of submitting a few myself but after seeing the numbers decided not to. Afterall, you can't tell the condition of the comic at all without taking it out.

This is true. You can't tell unless you take it out. I'm just wondering if there is a problem with keeping it in there for an extended period of time, or if the problem lies with the manufacturing. And it is the manufacturer that is the problem, then there is no need to take it out of the packaging at all... confused.gif

I polybag is bad in terms of preservation for the comic but the comic is worth more in the bag (I know it makes no sense). I few sellers on Ebay I seen try selling the comics from the mult-comic polybags have gotten mainly 9.2's from CGC and then gotten a lot more when they have sold the polybags unopened with the hype of maybe CGC 9.4-9.6. I believe a forum member opened one with X-Men #94 and got a lot less than if he left the bag alone.

I polybag is bad in terms of preservation for the comic but the comic is worth more in the bag (I know it makes no sense). I few sellers on Ebay I seen try selling the comics from the mult-comic polybags have gotten mainly 9.2's from CGC and then gotten a lot more when they have sold the polybags unopened with the hype of maybe CGC 9.4-9.6. I believe a forum member opened one with X-Men #94 and got a lot less than if he left the bag alone.

I agree, polybags are horrible for preservation of comics. And the longer they remain in the bags, the worse the book gets. It's a no-win situation. 893frustrated.gif