• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are two Fantastic Four #1's alike??

14 posts in this topic

I just came across an auction today of F.F. 1 at VF- 7.5 on E-bay that going for under $8,500 it has some dust shawdowing along the side and alittle at the bottom too. Here's the link...

Fantastic Four 1 CGC... VF ...Unrestored...

Guess what, I was browsing through Comiclink old website and found this as well...

Fantastic Four #1 CGC VF- 7.5 (cream to off-white pages) $9750 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

ComicLink is a consigment company...hence the word "link" in the name. The reason you see it on ComicLink is because it appears that Sully probably consigned it there at some point after it didn't sell on ebay last year.

Okay, here's one I noticed. ComicLink Express has 2 ASM # 9's in 9.6 (both CGC graded) for sale. One is priced at $9,900, the other at $11,500.

What the???

Are these differing figures the minimum the cosignee would accept, ya think?

I'm not 100% on this, but certain grades can have varying page quality. CGC will take page quality into account on the super HG books (I don't think they'll give a book w/ cream-ow pages a 9.8). I don't think we've ever been able to determine what the actual "cut-offs" are.

It also could be, that the book w/ OW pages has a slight eye-appeal edge, cover wise, than the OW-W book. Neither having enough defects to be down-graded to 9.4, but neither substantially better than the other (if that makes any sense??)

Chris

You're right Chris...one says OW, the other is OW-W. Excuse my ignorance, but how can they then be the same grade? Thanks.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mainly because both page qualities are allowed in that grade. The difference between ow-w and ow pages is probably insignificant enough to pull a grade lower.

You're right Chris...one says OW, the other is OW-W. Excuse my ignorance, but how can they then be the same grade? Thanks.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Page quality should be a component of the grade a book receives, but all 9.4s don't, by defnition, have to have the same page quality.

Also, to further answer your original question, the consignor, if I'm not mistaken, sets the price for books listed on ComicLink. In your example, one consignor either has higher costs associated with his book or is just plain greedy. There is a similar situation with the two CGC NM 9.4 Daredevil #2s that Josh currently has listed. One, listed right around "movie hype time" is $4300. The other, listed recently, is $3300.