• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Should CGC get rid of the purple Restored label???

Should CGC get rid of the purple Restored label???  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC get rid of the purple Restored label???

55 posts in this topic

Nope, take a look at this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=51821&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Some ppl contend that CGC should get rid of all the different colored labels and instead make them all blue (universal, restored, qualified...). I'm against it myself & I started this poll to get a gauge on how everyone else feels.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

From what I've seen, the purple label does more harm than good. It has to be killing the restoration business. And not to mention all the graded books with the purple labels. Try and sell one for a decent price. If you payed a lot for a restored comic before CGC, chances are you may take a loss trying to sell that same book now. And then you also get ticked off customers that won't return business to CGC because of the grading. Sure its great that CGC checks for restoration, but that could be noted on the regular blue label and the book can be graded low.

I think the purple label is a mistake. CGC is in a learning process and they can learn from their mistakes. I think, if anything should of gotten a different color label, it should of been PEDIGREE books. That would of been a better way to distinguish from the regular comics that I believe would sell.

This must be an election year!

"It has to be killing the restoration business. And not to mention all the graded books with the purple labels. Try and sell one for a decent price."

.......it is not the purple label that is killing the price, it is the restoration. the market has dictated the price for restored books.

.......so you think that giving a restored book a blue label will help them sell for more?

.......if that is the case it will be because the buyers don't REALISE the book is restored because of the universal label.

.......i'm sorry, but a note on the label is just not enough of a distinction for me. keep the purple label and let the buyer make the choice............

....i do agree though that a greater distinction needs to be made for different types of restoration, and rather than losing the purple label cgc should provide a detailed sheet containing all grading notes for restored books giving full disclosure of all restoration detected.

If you make everything one label...yes, if you change the purple label you would also have to change the green one...then it would just open everyone up to scam artists..there's no reason why the labels should be changed...everyone knows what a purple label means..restoration..no matter how you spin it..it's restoration..if someone wants a nice book at the fraction of the original's price..then they'll buy a restored one.

Brian

This is way passed a yes/no answer. I have already expressed there should be a different color label for clean/press/spine roll removal, staple clean. These are restoration techniques that add nothing to the book.

A different color label for techniques that DO add to the book such as tear seal (which adds one of many forms of adhesive), inpainting (aka color touch), staple replacement, piece replacement (be it leaf fiorm or from a similar book) etc.

A different color label for techniques that DO add to the book such as tear seal (which adds one of many forms of adhesive), inpainting (aka color touch), staple replacement, piece replacement (be it leaf fiorm or from a similar book) etc.

Yes, to simplify matters even more we should have a vast array of colors. A rainbow of colored labels if you will. This would be a vast improvement than what is currently in place. Superb!

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

you know what would be great? two kinds of restored lables:

1 for books that have been patched together, had other bits of comics stuck to them, bleached, chemically cleaned etc.

and 1 for books that have been cleaned using non damaging methods and flatening, ex. water cleaning, dry cleaning and pressing.

the last one shouldn't have to suffer in terms of value.

CGC already has THREE of that ("two different labels for two different classes of restored books"):

the green label: for alteration by accidental acts of God.

the purple label: for alteration by deliberate acts of man.

the blue label: for alteration by deliberate acts of man when at CGC's discretion, for God knows whatever reason, the book makes it into a Blue holder.

I think I've heard that on an expensive key that is iffy for the blue label, they will talk to the submittor and come to an agreement.

ex. the Action one. It might very well have been gievn a purple label 8.5 or so, but

the glue peices were so small, that the book could have been popped out, the glue flicked off with an x-acto knife and the book would have been a 7.5 with no notes whatsoever, so the person submitting the book, said to go ahead and give it the lower grade it would receive if it didn't have the work performed and note the work on a blue label insert.

I think this type of procedure takes the place of the "CGC restoration removal service" where they would flick off the glue for you, but charge you an extra $400 for doing it. Now they just reach into your pocket for their share of the "fair market value" - still the only company in any kind of grading service to do this - yep you could submit the $7 Million $20 gold to NGC and only be charged $125 for the grading fee, but send in a nice Fantasy #15 and they'll want their share of the market value (Fantasy #15 must be much harder to grade than #14).

I've seen may times on eBay RESTORED purple labeled books sell much less then lesser graded blue labeled books. (ex. Detective Comics #33 Restored graded 9.0 sold for $3000. Same book UNIVERSAL graded 1.8 sold for more then $3000.) It seems pretty obvious that the PURPLE label is the less desirable of the two. I believe if the restored one was noted on a blue label and graded less, the book would sell at a higher price. Its not too late for CGC to change thier policy on grading restored comics. Actually they could have it were anyone that wants their purple label replaced with a blue, could resubmit for a certain price. Who's to say they haven't thought of this already. Maybe they will in the future. Besides; The customer is always right? Or did that thinking get tossed out long ago.