• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Should CGC get rid of the purple Restored label???

Should CGC get rid of the purple Restored label???  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC get rid of the purple Restored label???

55 posts in this topic

I think CGC should have a black label. I don't care where they use it, I just think that would look cool.Come on Black Label.

By the way

Resto=different color label end of discussion

By the way

Apparently not the end of the discussion, since the purple label is going the way of the do do bird. CGC is switching to all one color label (blue) for restored books, with appropriate notations.

By the way

Apparently not the end of the discussion, since the purple label is going the way of the do do bird. CGC is switching to all one color label (blue) for restored books, with appropriate notations.

Another bad move by CGC. (they need a graemlin with an upside down thumb to signal disapproval).

By the way

So what happens to all the existing PLOD's? Would CGC replace the casing via the $11 re-holdering fee?

By the way

I don't even want to think about the impact that is going to have on online auction sales. There are going to be some VERY unhappy buyers in the near future if CGC starts putting restoed books in blue labels. Lots of fraud potential...

By the way

Apparently not the end of the discussion, since the purple label is going the way of the dodo bird. CGC is switching to all one color label (blue) for restored books, with appropriate notations.

I don't even want to think about the impact that is going to have on online auction sales. There are going to be some VERY unhappy buyers in the near future if CGC starts putting restored books in blue labels. Lots of fraud potential...

Quite definitely my biggest fear too, regarding this move.

By the way

Apparently not the end of the discussion, since the purple label is going the way of the dodo bird. CGC is switching to all one color label (blue) for restored books, with appropriate notations.

I don't even want to think about the impact that is going to have on online auction sales. There are going to be some VERY unhappy buyers in the near future if CGC starts putting restored books in blue labels. Lots of fraud potential...

Quite definitely my biggest fear too, regarding this move.

But obviously a huge benefit to all the vested interests holding restored books out there who now think they'll get close to 100 cents on the dollar for their books.

Are you serious? CGC is doing away with it. That's incredible. I agree with those of you who think this is going to be very scary for spotting resto sales and avoiding fraud. I was wrong, but apparently not about the end of discussion part. It sounds like CGC has made up their minds.

By the way

Another bad move by CGC. (they need a graemlin with an upside down thumb to signal disapproval).

boo.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.gifscrewy.gifsign-rantpost.gifmad.gif

Are you serious? CGC is doing away with it. That's incredible. I agree with those of you who think this is going to be very scary for spotting resto sales and avoiding fraud. I was wrong, but apparently not about the end of discussion part. It sounds like CGC has made up their minds.

I think you guys are being a bit FDQ-ish since you don't even have any specifics yet, but you're still bemoaning all of the imagined evils that this change will engender. Don't you think that MAYBE CGC has already considered what you're saying and has a plan to make it clear that a book is restored, regardless of the color of the label?

Personally, I think the purple label is about as necessary as the "right" and "left" labels that I used to see on the shoes of the kids who rode the short bus to school. If the label says "RESTORED" in big letters and has a separate restoration score on it, don't you think maybe someone will be able to spot a restored label even from a small scan?

oh, you optimist, Scott... there's no place for talk like that on the boards! insane.gif

It does make me feel a little uneasy BUT I hope that this does impact all the negativity that restored books currently receive, especially slight professional.

Does this mean they are doing away with the green label too?

oh, you optimist, Scott... there's no place for talk like that on the boards! insane.gif

It does make me feel a little uneasy BUT I hope that this does impact all the negativity that restored books currently receive, especially slight professional.

Does this mean they are doing away with the green label too?

I think he said no green label either, but I'm a little fuzzy on that one now because I killed the brain cells that were holding that information. Don't quote me.

All I know is that you better request BIG scans for any book you bid on, on Ebay. I am looking forward to the shysters who will conviently forget to mention the notes on the label, and simply post the usual low-resolution scan.

That is, if this is all true. Another blow against the buyer....CGC is continues to position themselves with the selling side. No surprise.

Red Hook points out my main worry on the subject. I'm certain that the guys at CGC have looked into making the restored label clear, but it isn't really their problem if a bum seller decides to post a smaller pic or adjust it in some way which neglects to point out restoration. It just seems like it takes one of the main attributes that differentiate a restored book from an unrestored book out of the equation. Some of the ebay auctions that I have seen for slabbed books have had such small pics and crappy descriptions that the only thing showing that it is restored is the PLOD.

Please don't mistake my concerns as anything against CGC. I really enjoy their service both as a seller and as a collector. I just think that they will have to replace the different color labels with something equally unique and obvious to discourage fraud.

I think you guys are being a bit FDQ-ish
"Hey Peter, Does this look like an FDQ? How 'bout now? "images.jpg

All I know is that you better request BIG scans for any book you bid on, on Ebay. I am looking forward to the shysters who will conviently forget to mention the notes on the label, and simply post the usual low-resolution scan.

That is, if this is all true. Another blow against the buyer....CGC is continues to position themselves with the selling side. No surprise.

If someone wants to monkey with a scan, they don't need to use a small scan to do it. Remember the Amazing Spider-Man #1 that someone swapped the grade on to make a 4.0 VG look like a 9.0 or thereabouts? Those were big pictures. The bottom line is that with photoshop and a small scan, you can accomplish the same thing now by just changing the color of the label only.

I am not a seller of restored books and yet as a buyer and collector I think this is a great idea because it will force people to look beyond the simple color of the label and learn something about restoration. I don't think this is a blow against the buyer at all. If anything, it is just the remedying of a problem that never should have been there in the first place (the PLOD) that has led a lot of people to treat all restored books the same as every other restored book, no matter how minimal or extensive the restoration and no matter how professionally it was done. And with the usage of a 10-point restoration scale, the buyer will now have a lot more information about the extent of restoration done to the book inside the slab than ever before. If CGC is going to do what Steve said they would do (i.e., mark the blue label slab with a clear "RESTORED" label in a conspicuous area) it would take a REALLY small scan to fool someone.

I missed the part where Steve said they are going to use a numerical value to indicate the level of restoration. I assume this is something you heard or know about, Scott? That would be interesting.

It is going to be interesting when sellers of raw restored books (like El Hammerhoid) will be able to make claims about the level of restoration in the books they are selling. More shimmy shimmy shake. Too bad CGC can't do any market testing of their ideas first. Did they confer with anyone on the collecting side? Just asking.

CGC are going to make a pocket full of cash on the resubs of green and purple labels. I think FFB has a good point how it will force the seller to look past the label to see what the restoration is.

Thing is for someone like me who doesn't collect restored books, it's easier for me just to see that purple label and dismiss the book. Should be interesting to see what the new label looks like. If it's clear enough that there is restoration on it then there isn't too much of a problem with me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif