• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel "Mechanical" Covers on EBAY

32 posts in this topic

I think a fair multiple on the OA to these photo-copied mechannicals is 500X - 1000X.

Hence,...for example,....if the Marvel Double Feature # 1 STAT went for $1700,...

the OA should be worth between $850,000 - $1.7 Million at some point.

Granted thats not where we are now,...but these types of ratios are 'in line' with litho's in comparison with the originals for artists such as Matisse, Picasso, Warhol.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I think a fair multiple on the OA to these photo-copied mechannicals is 500X - 1000X.

Hence,...for example,....if the Marvel Double Feature # 1 STAT went for $1700,...

the OA should be worth between $850,000 - $1.7 Million at some point.

Granted thats not where we are now,...but these types of ratios are 'in line' with litho's in comparison with the originals for artists such as Matisse, Picasso, Warhol.

we mock what we dont understand. I actually think my 500x - 1000x ratio is VERY conservative. Here we are comparing photocopies with ORIGINAL ART.

we mock what we dont understand. I actually think my 500x - 1000x ratio is VERY conservative. Here we are comparing photocopies with ORIGINAL ART.

We mock what is stupid. Keep 'em coming, this is priceless stuff! Your comedic talents are seriously wasted here; you ought to be hosting a show on Comedy Central or something. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My, how far we've come.

In one of the older boards on here that I've read, I remember delekkerste defending one of MG's/KK/Destro's(??) posts and noting that MG's collection is quite impressive. I do, however, completely agree wtih delekkerste.

Unfortunately for me, MG's purportedly impressive collection has no significance. I don't know Brad Savage from Doc Savage, so it doesn't really mean anything to me if MG has a great collection, or if MG is worth millions. Or even who he is. The only real life "savage" I can identify is Fred Savage from the Wonder Years.

All I know about MG is what I see on these boards, which ranges from what I would consider to be benignly annoying to condescending and insulting (without basis).

One thing that is clear is that MG is very insecure about himself. That is why MG is constantly harping on the value of his collection and how great he is.

It seems like MG is insecure because, while he apparently secretly harbors a desire to be a fine art collector (note the numerous and repeated references to Warhols and Rothkos in his posts), all he has are these pages from the funny books.

So, instead of being invited to significant openings at the Met, the Guggenheim or MOMA, or even the Art Institute of Chicago, MG sits at home and posts on these boards where he is a (relatively) large fish in a (comparatively) small pond.

I'm sure in real life, MG is a very nice fellow, who would love to sit down and have a nice glass of port with someone else by a fireplace and talk about art. And I'm sure that if I actually met him, I probably would find MG knowledgeable and interesting.

On these boards, however, there seems to be a different story. The fact that at least two of MG's prior incarnations have been banned from the boards indicates that MG is not exhibiting whatever good qualities he may have over here.

As for mechanical art, it seems to me that if someone likes a cover, and wants a really good copy of that cover that was used in the process and which may have a dab of ink on the front and a stamp on the back, MA seems to be the only game in town. For people who are interested in MA for the investment potential, while the prices of MA appear to have risen, as long as there are many great examples of affordable OA out there, it seems to me that there will be a ceiling on MA's appreciation.

I must confess that with respect to MA, I am biased, as I just prefer (conceptually at least) the OA.

As for mechanical art, it seems to me that if someone likes a cover, and wants a really good copy of that cover that was used in the process and which may have a dab of ink on the front and a stamp on the back, MA seems to be the only game in town. For people who are interested in MA for the investment potential, while the prices of MA appear to have risen, as long as there are many great examples of affordable OA out there, it seems to me that there will be a ceiling on MA's appreciation.

I must confess that with respect to MA, I am biased, as I just prefer (conceptually at least) the OA.

Arte, I agree with you completely about the value of these. Like all of my art collection, I buy stuff because I like it, not because it's part of a long-term investment strategy. The fact that the values of the pieces I own have appreciated is simply icing on the cake.

I couldn't afford to buy these if they were true OA covers, but I like the covers themselves and will enjoy looking at the one I did win every day cloud9.gif

My ceiling for these was around $500 or so. Hence being outbid on a few. confused-smiley-013.gif It happens. Though I do wish I'd bid a tad more on that Avengers one. 893censored-thumb.gif Cool cover! Oh, and I'd have bid more on the Marvel Tales if it had a nice image of Spidey. Ditko stat cover? So what!!!!?? grin.gif

MrTrent,

The Ditko mech art to Marv Tales 17 was the 2nd lowest price realized at a modest $483 probably due to the fact that it is a cover reprinting an ASM issue. The logo was also huge and almost overpowered the stat art.

Would say Mr Glass (BS) and his buying partners have a lot of $$ invested in OA so is actively promoting the future "investment" potential to the moon and beyond. angel.gif

MrTrent,

The Ditko mech art to Marv Tales 17 was the 2nd lowest price realized at a modest $483 probably due to the fact that it is a cover reprinting an ASM issue. The logo was also huge and almost overpowered the stat art.

I think the fact that it didn't have a strong Spidey image also factored into the low price. I didn't want to pay $500 for Princess Python. I mean, she's a looker and all, in a bad girl snake charmer kinda way, but I would have liked a nice big image of Spidey. If the Mechanical cover to the Marvel Tales that reprinted the ASM 16 cover was the one for sale I'd-a bid lots more.... grin.gif

Would say Mr Glass (BS) and his buying partners have a lot of $$ invested in OA so is actively promoting the future "investment" potential to the moon and beyond. angel.gif

I don't have the time or inclination to trawl through months of previous messages, but I recall KRAZY KAT, now re-invented as MR GLASS, was outed on (I think) Comicart-list as being some low-end collector pretending to be Brad Savage. Not sure who outed him - might have been Doc Vassallo.

For what it's worth, I don't believe for one minute that KK/MR GLASS has anything of note, OA-wise . . .

The only art (Matthew?) has ever posted, here, belongs to other people. Hell, he's even posted one of my own covers.

He's full of the brown smelly stuff . . .