• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS - OA Newspaper Strips - Dennis, Parker & Morgan

10 posts in this topic

I am not one to usually partake in the realm of OA sales, but I picked up three nice pieces at a political auction at reasonable prices. As such, I can turn them around to fellow forumites at below value.

I don't know any details about the pieces other than what I can read from the text. I am trying to ascertain additional information.

Shipping is included in the prices.

Returns are always accepted, no questions asked, so long as I am notified within 3 days, the OA is sent back within 7 days and it is returned in the same condition. Buyer assumes return postage.

Paypal is accepted, money orders and checks are fine also (but personal checks must clear first).

First takeit.gif "takes it".

Offer expires May 20, 2007, after which time they go live to the public at higher prices.

Dennis the Menace by Hank Ketcham (I believe 1975, but cannot confirm)

OA measures 13 1/2" x 9 1/2"

Entire piece measures 20" x 16".

Beautifully framed and matted (that alone would cost $75 - $100!) and suitable for framing in the home or office. Would make a nice present for either the husband or wife!

Estimated value = $500 - $600

Forum price = $400 (remember includes shipping!)

Dennisart1.jpg

Dennisart2.jpg

Strip from Judge Parker from September 13, 1975. Beautifully framed and perfect for display at your home or office. Great gift for any jurist or attorney.

OA measures 20 1/2" x 7" (drawn by Harld LeDoux)

Complete piece measures 25" x 10 1/2"

Forum price = $375 (remember includes shipping)

Judge Parker has a theme of caring about people and of life as it used to be -- of virtue rewarded," says a fan of more than 20 years in Atlanta. Judge Parker was created in 1952 by psychiatrist Dr. Nicholas P. Dallis, the originator of two other successful "soap-opera" comic strips, Rex Morgan, M.D. and Apartment 3-G. The strip chronicles the lives - in and out of the courtroom - of Judge Alan Parker, Sam Driver and Abbey Spencer. With its true-to-life storylines, drama and suspense, Judge Parker has kept readers in 175 newspapers nationwide hooked.

Artist Harold LeDoux draws Judge Parker, which chronicles the adventures of a knowledgeable and understanding magistrate.

Judge Parker was one of three strips created by Dr. Nicholas Dallis in the late 1940s and early 1950s, the other two being Apartment 3-G and Rex Morgan, M.D. The three strips helped usher in a new dimension of realism on the comics pages.

Judge Parker addresses concerns usually not seen in comic strips. The strip has tackled such weighty issues as graft, judicial and police corruption, divorce and adoption.

Recently, Sam Driver, a no-nonsense young lawyer, was added to the cast of characters. Judge Parker is written by Woody Wilson. It was created in 1952 by Dallis, a psychiatrist from Scottsdale, Ariz.

King Features Syndicate distributes the strip to some 175 newspapers nationwide.

LeDoux was born in 1926 in Port Arthur, Texas. He wanted to be a cartoonist ever since he was a young boy.

During World War II, he joined the merchant marine. He saved enough money to pursue his ambition, going to the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts after his tour of duty.

After graduation, he moved to New York City, where he worked on Famous Funnies comic books. Soon, he began assisting artist Dan Heilman on Judge Parker. Heilman died 13 years later, in July 1965, and LeDoux took over the art for the strip.

Judgeparker1.jpg

Judgeparker2.jpg

Strip from Rex Morgan by Bradley and Edginton, Tuesday, September 9, 1975.

Beautifully framed and perfect for display at your home or office. Great gift for any doctor or someone in the medical profession.

OA measures 20 1/2" x 7"

Complete piece measures 25" x 10 1/2"

Forum price = $375 (remember includes shipping)

Created in 1948 by the late Dr. Nicholas P. Dallis, a psychiatrist from Scottsdale, Arizona, Rex Morgan M.D. continues to be the quintessential family practice physician.

Dr. Dallis created Rex Morgan not only as an exciting and entertaining comic strip, but also as an educational tool: a comic strip that would heighten the awareness of readers about the importance of modern medicine.

Over the years we have seen Rex deal with the compelling medical and social issues of our times — drug abuse, domestic violence, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, diabetes, organ transplants, adoption and sexual harassment, just to name a few. There have been more than a few documented cases in which readers were actually able to identify illnesses in themselves from information presented in Rex Morgan M.D.

The strip's realism has made it a valuable resource for health care professionals around the country. The Leahy Foundation used a Rex Morgan series on epilepsy as a teaching tool for professionals and students at Harvard University. The Cuyahoga County Witness/Victim Service Center Family Violence Program in New York used a Rex Morgan segment in its handbook for battered women.

Rex Morgan M.D. appears in over 300 newspapers nationwide, and with an estimated 30 million readers every day in the United States and 14 foreign countries, Rex continues to be one of the most well known and best-loved physicians in the world.

Rex1.jpg

Rex2.jpg

Thanks for both of your comments guys, but unfortunately you are talking gibberish to me due to my lack of OA knowledge. Can someone speak in english and help me out!

These were advertised to me as OA at an auction (which knew nothing of what they were doing, it was a political fundraiser). If, in fact, one or more of them are not OA then perhaps I may say something.

If the piece is as you guys describe, what impact does it have on the estimated price?

Thanks!

Mark- In the production process there are a couple "originals" produced. First, there is the original B&W art which most people consider “the” original. To color pieces, they typically an original “color guide.” To do this, they make a Photostat (a photographic reproduction) of the B&W art. An artist will then color the Photostat with Dr. Martin's dyes. They then add color codes so that the printer knows what colors they need to separate.

Anyway, what you have is likely the “color guide.” It is a unique “original,” but since it is mostly a photographic reproduction and the original artist may not have touched the piece (although sometimes the artist will color their own work), most collectors don't consider them as collectible as the original B&W art.

If it is a color guide, the value of the piece (without the framing) would be around $50 (maybe $100 on a really good day).

That being said, the colorist could have colored directly on top of the B&W original art. In that case, the value would be a lot higher.

-Chuck