• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey FF!! Is this X-Men 15 hacked on the right???

37 posts in this topic

Do bears 893censored-thumb.gif in the woods? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

web page

What is this book, about 6 inches wide??!!! Looks more like a pamphlet than a comic!! makepoint.gif A quick comparison to any of the many X15s currently on Ebay will illustrate this perfectly.

I know you pride yourself on not making judgements from scans alone (unless originating from one particular seller, even if the book is obviously full-size), but would you care to give your opinion on this??

Nice tag-team work fellas....frick and frack...dumb and dumber...true legends in their own minds. The two stooges live!! 27_laughing.gif

The book looks skinny, no doubt. But hammer, I thought you told us that your books weren't trimmed, they were simply within the 1/16" to 1/8" QC variances allowed under the limitations of the production scenario that existed in the early 60's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hammer... I mean....Nice, is a liar and Tom, without facts, wants to agree with him.

Tom- buy the book, send it in (in the CGC case), if it is trimmed, which I am sure it is not, I will pay you back for the shipping, total price of the book, and give you another $25 out of my pocket. If you are so right, what do you have to lose?

If not, just buy raw books from private Ebay auctions. I am sure they are not trimmed or color touched.

I don't see a "hack" job

x-men15_sm.jpg" width="248" height="354

Look along the outer edge, using the grid as a marker, and you'll see a straight outer edge. This copy does exhibit a heavier than normal manufactured trim with some variance from the total production run of this issue, but based on the fact that we can't see the entire comic, and are only referring to 72 dpi (612 W x 842 H) scan of the front cover, I have to agree with drbanner as it appears less likely that this book was (post-production) trimmed.

The right edge of that book changes direction at least 3 times, looks like someone took a scissor to it.... Steve, I'll pass on your offer, since the trim was not caught the first time, what would make me think you would catch it now? And I have bought raw books on Ebay, I guess they are all restored??? Banner, when I want your opinion, I will beat it out of you grin.gif (Just kidding)

And just because I agree w/ Nice on the trim, does not mean I condone his actions based on the accusations brought upon him by others (if they are true).

The right edge of that book changes direction at least 3 times, looks like someone took a scissor to it.... Steve, I'll pass on your offer, since the trim was not caught the first time, what would make me think you would catch it now? And I have bought raw books on Ebay, I guess they are all restored??? Banner, when I want your opinion, I will beat it out of you grin.gif (Just kidding)

And just because I agree w/ Nice on the trim, does not mean I condone his actions based on the accusations brought upon him by others (if they are true).

Then send it to Mark Wilson, Stephen Fishler, or Matt Nelson.These guys are good and I will still pay you if they say it's trimmed. Ask these guy's about mine or Chris Friesens ability to detect trimming, color touch, glue and other restoration. Tom, you really do not have the knowledge and experience to judge from the scan provided.

And, yes, I believe most PRIVATE ebay auctions for comics are restored or trimmed.

Then send it to Mark Wilson, Stephen Fishler, or Matt Nelson.

That's a good idea Steve - the 3rd-party, 3rd-party grading/restoration check should alleviate Tom's concern about any potential biased review! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey Tom, if you have the balls to do it, I'll toss in another $25 if the book is deemed to be trimmed! How 'bout you hammer, perhaps you could take the action on the other side? This could be great fun guys, who else is in on the "CGC challenge"?

Now just think Tom, you would have stepped up to the plate and accepted the challenge of CGC's head grader, and proved CGC wrong! Bragging/bagging rights would be yours forever. Just think how much enjoyment that would bring you, I mean, how can you refuse? confused-smiley-013.gif

Or, you can just continue to be an obnoxious loud-mouth talking out your @$$... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

wow steve this statement is pretty heavy

"And, yes, I believe most PRIVATE ebay auctions for comics are restored or trimmed."

i am curious why you think that of the majority of sales, thats a heck of a lot of books!

Are there that many PRIVATE auctions for comic books on Ebay? Or are you missing the key word in his statement? confused-smiley-013.gif

I honestly could not tell a trimmed comic from a trimmed mustache, but if Steve and Mike are that confidant its not... I'm willing to bet on their evaluation and go $25 as well. I'm curious to know the truth.

BUT shouldn't this be a friendly wager? If wrong, shouldn't the individual(s) proclaiming the book trimmed have something to lose too... not just a bonus as encouragement to buy the book?

Why not a dollar to dollar wager? If a wager is agreed to... I'm in for $50 using any of the (3) sources offered. Maybe we can all agree the funds will be donated to one of DAM's comic charities? This wager might make the Scoop and CBG and be a rather large feather in the cap of the winners.

Sound interesting?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

but if Steve and Mike are that confidant its not

Ha! I don't know whether the book is trimmed or not as I've not seen it, and while I think I'm pretty good at picking up resto (trim/CT/glue) I don't know that I could tell trimming either way even if I had the book in hand. On early silver age marvels, I would look for uneven edges, a lack of overflash on the top edge, and lack of the typical v-shape page extension on the top right with the extension diminishing to zero at the bottom. The problem is that it's not typically the pages that are trimmed, but the cover, and as the cover does not always extend to the page edges at the top (trimmed or not), it's a tough call (which makes it easy for the semi-restorers to pull it off, undetected by most buyers).

See the two scans below as an illustration - the first shows the proper relative positioning of the cover and pages, the second shows something a little different. If the right-hand cover of a book is just a little worn (tiny tears/bends), a neat 1/32" trim of the right edge could work wonders! Either of the books could be trimmed, or not??

Anyhow, I think it's funny to see hammer come here and proclaim the book to be trimmed, when a big part of his defense strategy since day one on these boards is that the early silver age Marvels were never cut to a standard size!

I'm up for a charitable contribution to a worthy cause in the name of the winner, but I think Tom precluded it from being a "friendly" wager with his "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" comment.

keys_asm33_big.jpg

keys_x10_big.jpg

I'm up for a charitable contribution to a worthy cause in the name of the winner, but I think Tom precluded it from being a "friendly" wager with his "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" comment.

I didn't have anything that nobel in mind, I just wanted Tom to put up or shut up. But I'm always into supporting a good cause so I'd go for the donation as well.

The sad truth is that Tom wont take us up on it. He seems like one of those people that have an on-line personality and an off-line one. And when one reality starts to intrude on the other he backs down. JMO, I could be wrong (but I'll bet I'm not wink.gif).